Astra 2 - Freesat problems

Hello,
Our little satellite decoder (a Listo HD Terminal) has always connected up fine with our sat dish, giving us Freeview for UK TV.
However today it won’t connect to any channels! I’ve tried re-scanning to no avail.
Has anybody else had such trouble?
Thanks!

It’s been a bit windy, is it possible the dish has moved? It’s quite easy to realign it if you have access to it.

1 Like

Hi John,
I could check that. How does one realign a dish?

If you go to dishpointer.com then it will show you where your dish should be pointing. If your receiver has a signal strength indicator then you can adjust to maximise the signal. If not, then buy one of these signal strength meters so that you can get the alignment perfect.

RedStar24 Satfinder | Testeur de signal satellite avec câble de connexion audio et F pour régler votre bol satellite numérique | Finder satellite numérique https://amzn.eu/d/87lafvE

Just checked and the dish hasn’t moved at all. Solid as a rock.

Our satellite to astra stopped working a few months back. Since I am technologically incompetent I called in a professional who did a complete mise à jour which fixed it. €35 well spent to me instead of tearing my hair out for days.

1 Like

Hi Jane,
Was that an independant professional (satellite dish dealer) or a major chain like Boulanger or Darty?

It was a local électroménager shop, independent but part of the extra chain/franchise. We have used him for all sorts of things over the years and so have confidence in him.

Panic over!
A connection problem. I unscrewed the satellite cable and then simply screwed it back on and it works fine again. So must have been a problem with the copper core of the coaxial cable not touching the tiny socket corectly.
Thanks for your suggestions folks.
Bonne soirée!

5 Likes

Oxidation?

Possibly. You need to use self amalgamating tape over the connectors once in place to stop ingress of moisture. I’m always surprised how many installers don’t do this.

3 Likes

Or exterior use heat shrink tubing.

The stuff with integrated hot melt glue might work.

1 Like

That’s the stuff. You can slice it off later if needs be with a scalpel.

As some that’s used all sorts of RF connectors over the years, I find the standard screw-on satellite cable plugs to be awful, so I make sure there’s the maximum amount of shielding in contact with the outer connector and heat shrink it.

Silicone grease is the go-to protector for exposed F-plugs. Easy to take apart & avoids the trapping of moisture that tapes or sleeving seem to encourage.

The crimp version rather than screw on are way better too.

I’m not surprised. It means more work for them at some point in the future.

I took notice the other day and there is not one satellite dish on this estate, refreshing not to see houses cluttered with them stuck in all sorts of places

Surely you mean less work as it retains its waterproof status?

If sprayed a similar colour to the building they prety much vanish

New lotissements tend to have all the cabling underground now. I was rather envious of friends who live in a new grouping of houses when we got fibre and we had to have an ugly overhead cable and they have nothing!