BBC i-Player; still trying to get as reliable source

Hi Kate,

I've just checked & I can still get both iPlayer & Live BBC programmes through Strong. One issue I did meet was that I was already connected through one computer & so couldn't initially get a connection through the iPad. After disconnecting the original machine, everything went fine.

If you need to check if you are actually connected with a UK address just go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it will tell you.

At least you get uk shows. Everything is regularly blocked to the Us

Buy a VPN from Strong. It costs around £60 a year but has other advantages besides the connections to LIve BBC and ITV and their I -players. We have had one for about 3 years now. It is simple and is renewable with a click through Paypal. There are a variety so you choose the one which suits your requirements but the end result is the television you have asked about whenever and wherever you can connect to Wifi. We bought a connecting lead and recently watched UK television through the television screen of the gite we were staying in whilst the owners had lost their Freeview because of changes to satelite( or whatever it was caused this problem. I'm not very technical!) We can also connect to the VPN from the laptop, desktop or tablette.

The inital Dutch Pirate Bay order was against two ISPs, that order was then subsequently reversed by the appeal court, and all of this occurred before the recent (April 2014) ruling from the ECJ about the Dutch piracy tax. In essence, the Dutch government now has no choice but to deem illegal any unauthorised downloads (and access made thereto) of copyrighted works - whether in practice the whole business model is wrong, or whether or not there is a workable solution to the problem, is irrelevant to the legality of the act under the current state of copyright law. At the French level, even the reinforced Hadopi 2 legislation was a half-baked attempt to bring a semblance of order to rampant illegal downloading, and of course, to please the major film/music industry lobbyists at the same time.

What the EC and the ECJ should really be looking at are the "almots-cartel-like" or segregated/tiered distribution agreements for film, music and tv broadcasting - surprisingly enough, the decisions coming out of the ECJ in that regard are far less critical of the majors attempts to divide up the market into their own juicy little segments. Don't want to rock the boat too much now, do we ?

To come back to Hadopi, there have actually been very few actual prosecutions, at least in the years 2010-2012 :

"Of 3 million IP addresses "identified" by Hadopi, 1.15 million were found to be pirating content and sent a warning letter (the first phase). Of those 1.15 million, 102,854 were given a second warning, and of those, 340 received a third strike. If the third strike is ignored, Hadopi can take legal action, and as of July 1, only 14 offenders have had a case filed with a French court as a result of Hadopi, and none have yet been to trial."

Source : http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/09/french-anti-piracy-agenc...

Since the beginning of 2014, Hadopi has ceased to function as a legally recognised body, because the law says it must have a body of 9 members in order to be legally constituted and three members did not have their tenures renewed towards the end of 2013, leaving only 6 to do the work. Apparently, budget constraints are cited as one of the reasons for the lack of replacement tenures. So there you, you can thank the austerity measures for the lack of any current noticeable action from Hadopi.

Having said all that, Hadopi have just made recommendations to the government to introduce a "DMCA-style take down and stay down for 6 months" - it remains to be seen as to what will actually become of that - given the government's more pressing concerns elsewhere amongst the electorate, it seems pretty unlikely that this will become an immediate stop-gap solution to be enacted into law in the near future, but one never knows with "Flanby".

well I am certainly no legal expert that's for sure - nor do i have much spare time, so I cannot claim to have read around this topic as widely as others may have, however I believe that any law to prevent downloading is unworkable for a number of reasons - viz- use of things like iplayer via a proxy, use of vpn's etc. Also, how does anyone know whether a cheap paid for downloading service from china or india is actually legal (like netflicks) or just a scam which charges for downloads but is no more legitimate than pirate bay.

My understanding is that the Dutch court came to the same conclusion and although this would not pre-empt a french law, it may show it up for the unworkable nonsense it is.

From what i hear around me, because of the satellite issues, many brit tv addicts have turned to "filmon" in order to get their fix so there are lots of potential targets out there for Hadopi.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has been prosecuted by them, rather than just being threatened as was I.

Regards

I use a similar thing in google chrome, called zenmate. Works a treat :)

Hello Peter

I have used Strong Vpn for a number of years now, but recently I've notice to try and access the BBC to watch...okay..I admit it..The Graham Norton show, I'm getting blocked? Have you had any problems regarding this. I haven't contacted Strong as yet, but if the BBC is blocking these IP's then it doesn't seem worthwhile keeping the service.

Speedtest gave us B*, which should be enough for most broadcasts, apparently.

What's "hola"?

Wow, what a lot of very helpful responses! Thanks everyone. Now, the next challenge is to install one of these on my wife's new Samsung Galaxy Tab. Difficulty is: Samsung have very cleverly set up their Tab with the apps they want you to use, but made it as difficult as possible to add anything else. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Oh, by the way, has anyone any idea how to import an Outlook address book into gmail?

Thanks. I think I understand SLIGHTLY more now!

Of all the [many] solutions suggested, yours seems the most promising. I'll try installing it on the tablet and see what happens!

You can have a go at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDbgAoWcD0

*disclaimer* I don't have a Samsung Telly, so it may or may not work on your telly.

Does anyone have a solution to getting hold of the iPlayer app onto my Samsung Smart TV bought in France? I can get iPlayer on my Mac with no real issues, but the TV only has French Apps which obviously do not incude BBC or even Netflix.

A recent ruling in Holland, such as the Pirate Bay slapdown ? Or the even more recent one from the European Court of Justice that ruled that the Netherlands was not allowed to promote illegal downloading through the use of a piracy tax ?

I'd be interested to understand why you think a decision from a Dutch court pre-empts French national law on copyright ?

tell that to everyone else following this thread alex - and everyone using filmon and suchlike.

nobody is clear about the legality of downloading and a recent ruling in holland stated that any law on this is unworkable and therefore downloading cannot be deemed illegal.

Thanks for the comment though - i am even more sure I need a vpn now

cheers

Geoff,

You are asking for advice on how to cover up your tracks to engage in illicit activity, and you make a statement on the internet for everyone to see ?

Alex

Another vote for StrongVPN!

Hi Chris. I use Google Chrome with the "hola" extension. It is free and works perfectly