BBC Internet Radio Gone

Horses for courses, and this race will be won or lost shortly.

I think car radios, because they have to operate in a more hostile environment, are more attuned to long distance reception.

At least that it was what I was told many years ago when on our regular visits to this house I could only listen to radio 4 by parking the car directly under the kitchen window with the volume turned right up.

I get radio 4 perfectly via satellite through the tv in my living room but that hardly satisfies the desire to have music in the bedroom for an hour to help with sleep via something which will turn itself off. I suppose I could connect the tv to the mains via a timer plug and turn the volume right up, but hardly conducive to the health of my disabled wife who would also be in earshot.

It seems to me that this is the way to go, but whether with a Roberts or not is the question.

Expensive yes, but with a very long history of excellent performance.

Thanks again, complicated it may be, and I think we have both surmounted that failing. What my problem is now is simply that the ‘back’ button does not work.

What is it you want to achieve with the back button? From the manual - if an error is made when navigating the menus, it is generally possible to go back to a higher level menu by pressing the Back button.
Meaning that if you inadvertently chose ‘system setting’ by mistake you can back up to the previous menu and select the correct setting.

I can get back to the Main Menu, but no further than that. If I switch off and on again it automatically starts, not with the last channel listened to which is the norm, but back to that main menu that I can’t get out of.

Compris! Something for Roberts to sort out.

Yes, or Amazon for a return and reimbursement.

1 Like

While they do sound good, they have always had a reputation for poor menus and controls, that makes it not fit for purpose in my book.
User friendliness is key with a product like this and Roberts have alway fell down on this, with the choice available nowadays this there is no need to accept a compromise, especially at the price these are at, send it back to Amazon and get something fit for purpose.

I agree that it is not user-friendly or intuitive in use, but I’m not having any problems with mine, same model, and I’m having no problems with my 2013 model. I had no problems setting up the new model but had an infuriating time setting up my old radio in 2013. As David is having now, but it’s possible he has a faulty radio.

As an aside we have one of the below in the stables, easy to use, sound excellent and none of our guests have ever had any problems with it.
If we didn’t use PC’s in the cottage connected to speakers for internet radio, we would use them in the cottage as well.
We have 40-55" TV’s in all the rooms with either fire sticks or mini PC’s clipped on to the back of them, so family don’t need to lug laptops out from the UK every time they are here.

That Karcher looks exactly what I am looking for @Griffin36 , and no messing about cross borders either.
I’ll see how things pan out with Amazon UK over my faulty Roberts. :wink:

I don’t know if this is relevant but something clicked in my mind on reading the following from the manual in relation to loss of the Wi-Fi signal. Did you say ‘yes’ to ‘keep the network connected’ or ‘No’ when setting up? If you said ‘No’ then maybe the Wi-Fi switches off and the menu comes back on for reconnecting to the Wi-Fi.

Of course, this might be nonsense

Manual

After setting the Daylight Savings options, the display will show the ‘Keep network connected?’ option. You should choose ‘Yes’ if you wish to keep the radio connected to the network when it is in Standby mode.

This will allow remote control software to switch on your radio when needed. If you choose ‘No’ then your radio will shut down its Wi-Fi connection when it is in Standby.

Just had another go at it and, after saving the time zone and daylight saving option, there is no question *Keep network connected?’ option.

I’ve just switched the daylight saving off and it has returned the clock to the correct time, but still no option that you quoted above, and still no getting out of the menu.

Go to ‘menu’ then scroll to ‘system settings’ then scroll to ‘network’ then scroll to ‘keep network connected?’ then choose ‘yes’ or ‘no’. What happens after that I don’t know
but on mine, pressing ‘yes’, it reverted to the BBC4 programme which was playing before I pressed the menu button.

Added a little later

I navigated to ‘keep network connected?’ and chose ‘no’. Then my radio couldn’t find BBC4 and the words ‘network settings’ and ‘please wait connecting’ appeared on the display window. It took a minute or so but eventually reconnected. If a wifi signal is weak, maybe reverting to menu is the best it can do? When I switched back to ‘yes’ it had no problem bringing BBC4 back again.

eating-popcorn

1 Like

Don’t think Amazon will take it back in that condition

1 Like

Just come back to the computer and have just followed your advice all the way to keep network connected, then yes. It reverted nowhere and pressing the back button only goes back as far as main menu. That’s all. I have been very busy today what with visiting aide, visting doctor, then too late to go shopping till afternoon, walking the dogs and then back to work in the house. So, tomorrow morning, in the continued silence from Roberts I will be on to Amazon to take the bloody thing back.

After writing the above I spotted an email from Roberts and, without going into details at this late hour, I have agreed to do a factory reset in the morning but if all does not go well I will contact Amazon UK for a return and refund.

Edit Update: Martijn at Roberts made 4 points that convinced me that the item was faulty and I said to him that I would try a factory reset this morning and he agreed that if that was unsuccessful with no changes in the problems identified, then the item was faulty and should be returned for refund or exchange.

That reset was done by me with surprising ease after the difficulties of the first effort and the result was. No change, after all was done the thing would not exit from the main menu, so, all repackaged it is going down the post office in the next hour or so and Amazon have agreed a refund. Trouble with these cross border returns is that a full refund of postage will not be paid as Amazon only refund what they pay, which is far less in my experience.

Not to worry, it will be off my hands shortly and I will be looking at other ways to satisfy my need, the first of which will be the Karcher which @Griffin36 featured above. :smiley: