Be interesting to hear TMs response to Boris's remarks!

Him and his chum Don, can save a bit of dosh, sharing an architect. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yet it takes a 100,000 petition to get parliament to take notice of any other complaints, just saying.

1 Like

Sadly it seems to be generic in the human species.

I guess, when you live off the land and food production is only just enough to feed your group then aggressively defending your patch against outsiders is a useful trait to have genetically programmed in. Similarly raiding another group, if you are stronger, is advantageous. However in much of today’s modern world it is not really necessary and just sparks conflict which, ultimately, does everyone harm.

Much of that is only borne on jealousy

Dear oh dear, Boris is now being compared to Hitler.

The burka isn’t banned in the UK but is in France and in several parts of Europe yet the UK is the racist country, give me strength.

2 Likes

A low level of endemic racism is tolerable, and understandable in evolutionary terms, Tim, as Paul suggests. By endemic I mean widely but thinly spread. People of colour experience this daily, and refer to it as “micro-aggression”, small, subtle and probably unconscious slights and discriminatory acts by white people. Common examples being “Where do you come from?” (with a friendly smile, of course). There are many others, like not being included in a conversation when all other participants are white.

This (to non-blacks) unremarkable tendency can be heightened by politicians like Johnson for their own ends. Perhaps not with deliberate malice in mind, but carelessly and as evidence of their own unacknowledged, but well-entrenched prejudice.

As the parent of three mixed-race children, all adults, these are lessons I, their father, have had to confront, and whence I draw the two examples given above. There are hundreds more I’ve seen my own flesh and blood subjected to.

1 Like

What disappoints me is that people ignore or refuse to accept the fact that France is far more racist than the UK, right-wing political groups here are mainstream yet in the UK they’re miniscule in comparison and driven underground as they’ve got no real support.

Boris Johnson is a clown who is desperate for attention and the comments he made a few days ago will alienate rather than attract people to his pointless attempt on the Tory leadership.

1 Like

Hummmm. I don’t recognise that.
In France, if you are French, you ARE French. You may be described as being ‘black’ for example, but if you are French - you are French - end of.

4 Likes

Unless I’m wrong, Tim, it’s my impression that you are probably a white man, in which case you can have no perception at all, or at best a very limited second-hand one, of what it is like to be a non-white individual living in the UK. In other words, you are blind to racism as an everyday personal experience; and I do mean every day.

My black wife tells me that she experiences far fewer ‘low-level’ racist encounters here in France than in UK, and this has been her experience since she first set foot in Europe (on French soil) 45 years ago.

Right-wing parties may have more salience in France, but that doesn’t make France more racist than UK, perhaps just less two-faced about it.c

4 Likes

The last two comments just highlight the blinkered view that France is some sort of utopia where racism doesn’t exist, have a read of this and tell me it’s all rollocks, fake news etc -

@Peter_Goble, I’m disappointed that you felt it was necessary to mention the colour of my skin when discussing racism. Since I’ve lived here I have been abused on many occasions purely because of my nationality or does that not count as the abusers were also white.

1 Like

Like Peter, I speak as I find. If you have to resort to UK toilet paper to resolve your issues, passe votre chemin because you are no friend of mine.

UK is very racist!
Or should I re phrase that
British people seem to be consciously racist!
So anti gay!
why I do not know!
Tim I do get the impression that you feel that France is not your cup of tea?
Many of us have managed to enjoy much of what she has to offer.
My biggest disappointment is with my ex friends who are Brexit lovers and Tories with their heart in their boots.
I work hard wherever I am till the moment I can work no more

I not appreciate racists!

3 Likes

Again, Tim, you support your views on racism with second or third-hand evidence. Sticking to dogma on that basis doesn’t do you justice, and I wonder what is really bugging you about this issue. I haven’t proposed France as a place where race isn’t an issue, indeed I have averred, with Paul, that I see it as a condition that affects all societies to some extent, and possibly most individuals, as an evolutionary trait.

In some societies it is roped in to political discourse by politicians to foment fear and mistrust, and to buttress the power of tyrants.

I perceive Boris Johnson as an embryonic tyrant who will lie, dissemble, switch allegiances, and use his guileful charms to seduce the impressionable towards suspicion of what they don’t fully understand, and with no regard to the possible consequences for the public good. I hope we can agree on that.

1 Like

That Peter was how to describe Boris Johnson
he does and says, as they all do, it seems
what they please. They really do not care about any one!

1 Like

You aren’t describing a racist experience, Tim, you’re describing a xenophobic one. There is a real difference you know. Many of us have been ill-treated or given offence on the basis of our nationality. As a teenager on holiday in southern Ireland I was spat at by a group of Irish men. In Cape Town my children were spat at and mocked because they spoke with an English accent and wore ‘foreign clothes’. I have been publicly humiliated and mocked by Afrikaaner policemen for the same reason, and made to pay a bogus fine for having anatomy books in my luggage. That’s xenophobia, not racism.

Forgot to mention having a bottle pushed down my trouser leg in Dar-es-Salaam by an African policeman to see if my trousers passed the local by-law about skinny jeans (anti-Islamic). Quite good-natured but calculated to break my sense of racial superiority :broken_heart::confused::grin:

I couldn’t give a XXXX about Boris Johnson, to me he’s a buffon with a clumsy mouth, my biggest gripe about discussions such as these is that they always turn into how c**p the UK is, if France is so great and the UK so bad why haven’t you all applied for French nationality?

1 Like

Except themselves Barbara

Work in progress Tim
 :wink:

2 Likes

Whats an XXXX Tim, can’t think of the word :rofl:

French, racist ? Some of them are, but thanks not all of us. If we were, I would seriously think about imigrate somewhere else ! Guadeloupe, Martinique 
 oups it France too ! Really looking forward that we all mix up and all finish up MĂ©tisse as it will sort out a lot of problems ! The main problem with racism is narrow minded, and be scared about the unfamiliar !

3 Likes

Racism is now, as demonstrated by Boris (and others) is a ‘Cheap’ but powerful, Political Weapon, to recruit those feeling disenfranchised, sad people, perhaps