Beauty and real men

Oh poop. I'll just keep waiting for Russell Crowe to turn up in his shirt sleeves to mow my lawn then. Then it definitely would be A Good Year.

Not sure where to find another one Valerie! It took me till I was 36 as it was!

Matter of taste. I make a goulasch, but very Italian rather than proper Hungarian, so match your first line barbara then I add different things which might be spices as well as herbs but depends on the season. This week I used lovage and thyme, just a little. I also use something like parmiggiano to thicken and add a little extra taste, pecorino if I can find it instead. Drain off the surplus sause into pots and put away for a while. Nobody ever complains about my 'gravy'!

So how do you get your bisto?

By the way in winter you can do a slow cook of beef potrine with lots of onuions, garlic and bay...

A small amount of carrott and celeriac, thyme and water serve with green vegies and you can put

some pots in about 30 mins before the meal is ready. Do seal the meat nicely brown.

This stock makes the base of a good onion soup...gratinee with lots of greyure and parmisan.

Bisto...IF you like it?

My condolences on Jim's tastebuds.

Andrew and Brian, these are not my idea of heaven, Jim only gets them once in a while.

I much prefer a proper gravy and I like cream on my desserts, Jim says he likes Bisto because he likes beef with everything. Strange man.

Andrew - exactly the point.

Jane: what has always got me about the two concoctions you mention is that it takes as long to prepare them as is does to make a fantastic sauce once the meat is out of the dish or break a few eggs, etc to get something without powdery lumps in. Or perhaps I am still allergic to my mother's culinary 'skills' or lack of. My daughters bevave like angels if it is said I am making something with creme anglais.

@Brian, as I'm the one who works from home far more than my OH I know exactly what you're saying!

@ Barbara, Mmm, Bisto!!

It's the savoury equivalent of Birds Custard.

@Christine - it's a vindaloo or nothing!

@Jane, I forgot that one - very nice risotto rice - almost no choice here in France though. And I'd just like to say that leaving dishes on top of the dishwasher is one of my OH's favourite tricks, or in the sink when the dishwasher is next to it...! I must admit that I have plenty of habits that annoy her too ;-)

The fact that two of my exes are in regular contact and the other sporadically, and then there's the ones I didn't marry, says something. I have been frantically trying to keep homes at least tidy around the loves of my life. The principle is that if everything is filed on the floor then cleaning that is not so easy.

I have bought three dishwashers now. I load it straight from the table, wipe the table with a damp cloth too. Clothes - a wash load is in before bed, another first thing in the morning if te weather is fine. I own two Dyson vacuum cleaners, never have both going at the same time as I would wish.

Apart from having the children and breastfeeding them, I put as much time over to them as she does.

It's just a frame of mind. I love cooking and am good at it, so is she. She cuts grass and wood with a chain saw, I keep fire and stove going.

We have not done a role swap or anything, just taken it as propaganda that men do this and women do that and done what we think. Isn't that how a large part of the world has become and why do we allow the stereotypes to inform us and encourage those who live up to them?

That’s why there are never any dirty dishes around when the men are about. We feel this need to get rid of them.

Men are afraid of dirty dishes and dishwashers.

Jane what is Bistro gravy?

@ Andrew, the best risotto rice for me is Vialone Nonno. My daughter brings it for me from the Italian supermarket in Munich.

Jim is very versatile, he has built the kitchen in our Little House and is now finishing it off with the tiling round the work surfaces. He can cook in the kitchen once he has made it, but refuses to make sauces and still prefers Bisto "gravy"!

Why do men leave their dishes on the top of the dishwasher?

p.s. I only have Chicken Korma that is extra mild... i.e. no spices or curry at all - just chicken with cream....lol

don't you just love that this discussion has gone from a comment about one thing to something completely different..... you guys...

oh and the second dish is all mine, OH and kids are way too french and can't handle anything remotely spicey - I only eat curries in the UK - once every 2 years :-(