Being called Survive France

I absolutely agree with your last comment Brian - and those made by others in a similar vein. We're all too busy for this!

It's quite clear that whilst some people have an issue with the name, the vast majority don't.

It is not getting changed.

For those of you who want a site called FIEWAAH (Fully Integrated Expats Who Are Always Happy), I suggest you go and start one :)

Now let's all let this drop and go and do something more constructive.

How about posting some positive content that anyone would be happy to show to anyone - whatever their nationality?

Well you could try explaining that to your French neighbours!

And I disagree with (your) post about the dictionary definition. That is simply decrying any possible ironic undertones.

And, I'm still waiting to hear what the thread was....

Fine. It is your unease. If you look at the majority of opinions here you will find they have no unease, that includes French posts. So why on earth is this issue being hacked on and on, going round in endless circles and becoming so farcial it is far more funny than by any means serious?

My unease is because I don't want to give my French French neighbours the false impression that I find France an ordeal. And if you look at one of the very earliest posts on this thread you will see the dictionary definitions leaves very little room for other meanings.

I now know I'm not the first to think this; the Higginsons themselves clearly think it's an important topic, but (so far) they think on balance it's a good name to keep.

Oh and Finn. Blanket criticism is not the same as detailed. ie one can change the name. one cannot change France in its entirety

Dear Steve,

As a French woman I can say that sometimes I fell like I survive in France but I still want to live here and deal with this !! So like you and other foreigners WE ALL HAVE TO COPE WITH IT !

I am a member of this group and I can say that I don't always agree with you but I also learn a lot on my country and that makes me fell more humble ! So continue to give us tips to survive in France !! Sheers from Claire of Provence Hand Made - By the way give the address of my e boutique to your fellow to share my love of this part of France : http://www.provencehandmade-eboutique.com

The dis

André

You are in breach of our terms of service by using this account. You must sign up as yourself and use your full real name, please don't post again until you have done so.

Thanks

James

Hi Phil,

I dropped out of this thread yesterday as it was clearly going round in circles.

but..... "from you foreigners who come to live here ! Ugh!

André"

got my goat. I assume André is French and not a member. Show your face dude!

Yes I agree Emily and Phil. Not withstanding the 58 rooms that need cleaning, there 6 italians wandering around Lourdes somewhere that need to come back and pay me so that I can get on with the rest of my work!!

Plus the local sous-prefecture have just informed me that because I live half a km further from Lourdes than I should, I have to go all the way to Tarbes (with its horrendous road system and non existent parking) for a change of address on my carte-grise! LOL

I wholeheartedly agree with you Emily. My point is let's move on and discuss the more important issues that can be a worry for people on here and elsewhere, not whether Survive France Network is a good name or not. That's Nero fiddling whilst Rome burns.

It is a good name, full stop. Now how about the issues that affect folk day to day!

In Andres defence Ron, I can't believe that the topic has run to 17 pages of comments. It does give the impression of people locked in a huddle (and I admit I am one of these), whilst France obliviously gets on with the day to day business.

SFN, Survive France Network is a brilliant name for a brilliant site - for goodness sake everyone, live with it and move on!! Smiley face!!!!

This comment by a faceless Carolyn Goddard by signed off by André I personally find offensive.

Steve you use SFN why? if you find the name so negative? there are hundreds.....maybe thousands of us on this site...many have been here for years and are fully integrated...speak French like a local...the other end of the scale are people who have just arrived..maybe speak no French and who initially are questioning their decision to move here...but what we have in common is joining SFN...we found the site...and something about the name or the postings brought us here...

Personally...as a Brit...if I found my Indian/Pakistani/German/French/Spanish neighbour in Newbury on a website called survive Britain....I would think, how amazing..! fantastic....that such a site exists to help people...I would have to be stupid to be offended...goodness....surviving living in London, Manchester or Birmingham is a book in itself!

couldnt agree more...Brian...absolutely nail on the head...

Finn.....I agree with Catharine...your comments are always knowledgeable and useful, would miss your expertise...so do hang on...wishing you the best with your move..

oops I think I've just worked it out.

what's B**** and T***?

:-) Goodnight all!!

Thinking about it, I'd be really intrigued to know which forum topic it was that you planned to point your neighbour at Steve? Would be v helpful to know - thanks!

Brian - I agree!