Being qualified to work in France

I get the impression that, when it comes to getting a job in France, it is all about qualifications rather than having learned on the job or work experience. To give an example, I know a lady in the UK who dropped out of first year in architecture school in the 90’s and found work as a draftsperson (is that the right word?) and, through work experience over ten or so years, was promoted to Project Architect without taking any additional training. Likewise, a nephew of mine of mine trained as a plasterer but didn’t like it. He took a sabbatical and worked in Greece as a kitchen hand where he discovered his love for cooking. He returned to the UK and, after some years and with no training, now works as a chef. Likewise there are many people who call themselves tradespersons or builders in the UK who are not formally trained - not so much in the electrical or plumbing fields - but certainly as bricklayers, carpenters, general builders etc. Am I right in thinking that this doesn’t happen in France?

1 Like

I would say that is correct. If a person decided to change career they would probably find it hard to get a job in a different sector without undertaking 'reconversion" training. But, in France work experience is generally an important part of acquiring a qualification. Students do one or more works experience “stages” as part of their training and in fact many of them then get taken on by the company where they did their works experience. So “qualifications” are not just pieces of paper, they also mean that candidate has already completed proper supervised on the job training and is in a position to hit the ground running. I think in France there are far stronger links between training providers and industry/business. It is not so much a case of, finish your education, then decide what to do for a living and start looking for a job, it is more joined up, starting right back when you choose which bac to take.

1 Like

Even in the UK I am surprised that someone was promoted to Project Architect without additional training. Being an architect is a recognised profession and to call yourself one without the qualification is a fine of £2,500.

But here the workplace is more structured. Having a bit of paper - depending on the area of work - most likely includes some practical experience too, and is essential for young people trying to get their first job. And for most métiers there will be some baseline qualifications required - even if only the equivalent of an NVQ.

However later in life, experience counts as much (as long as you have the basic qualification) . But reconversion training is usually quite accessible. So your example of a chef would have to do some basic hygiene, food handling, budget management etc.And the courses can be combined with working, and possibly also get financial support - especially if you are unemployed.

You can’t look at this through British eyes, it is a totally different system.

1 Like

Many qualifications require “on the job” training as part of the training.

I quite like the idea that somebody has been certified to be able to do the job and holds appropriate insurance to cover the client.

In construction there are many very good tradespeople who have no formal qualifications ,started shovelling and worked their way up so to speak. There are also many who start with none then take qualifications through the conges individual de formation system. Its not all about qualifications .

1 Like

But not everyone wants to be self employed.

And there lies the problem with the UK. Not exactly a fortune and that’s if those applying the fine.
Architectural Services
Architectural technician
Plans drawn to Architectural standards
And so on.
Qualifications are invariably trumped in the UK by anyone who can produce the goods for the best price.
The UK system creates many good qualified tradespeople and professionals but unlike France it tends to create many cowboys who sadly tar the brush of the majority.
Perhaps there is actually a Brexit benefit by stopping the wannabe trades and professions feom the UK morfing into something they are not in that magical mist in the channel/manche.
That said I am sure there are unscrupulous trades and professions in France :wink:

Having clients doesn’t equal being self-employed. Large construction companies have clients too.

There certainly are.

It does when you talk about insurance.The workers aren’t individually insured themselves

That would be correct. I qualified as a teacher in the uk in 2003 after a complete change of career and despite the fact that I have a confirmation from Narric that I have a masters equivalent I keep being told but private schools that my qualifications are irrelevant and could not possibly be equivalent to the french qualifications. I worked as a primary school teacher in the uk for 15 odd years before returning to France. I’m also told that my english might not be as rigourous as a french teacher!! Worse of all is being told by Pole Emploi that I have passed my best years and should be looking at cleaning jobs. Happy days!

Racist ageist bastards! Just give them the ol 2 finger salute.

That’s because you need to do a national competition to be a teacher here, you can apply if you have a master’s degree, at least 3 children or a track record as a high-level athlete.
Were you to be interested in doing it here’s the info - it has been overhauled and is imho much more touchy feely and less academically rigorous but there we are, below is what you do once you have got through the two written exams.

Article 7

Le concours externe comporte deux épreuves d’admissibilité et deux épreuves d’admission.

L’une des épreuves d’admission consiste en un entretien avec le jury.

Article 8

L’épreuve d’entretien avec le jury mentionnée à l’article 7 porte sur la motivation du candidat et son aptitude à se projeter dans le métier de professeur au sein du service public de l’éducation.

L’entretien comporte une première partie d’une durée de quinze minutes débutant par une présentation, d’une durée de cinq minutes maximum, par le candidat des éléments de son parcours et des expériences qui l’ont conduit à se présenter au concours en valorisant notamment ses travaux de recherche, les enseignements suivis, les stages, l’engagement associatif ou les périodes de formation à l’étranger. Cette présentation donne lieu à un échange avec le jury.

La deuxième partie de l’épreuve, d’une durée de vingt minutes, doit permettre au jury, au travers de deux mises en situation professionnelle, l’une d’enseignement, la seconde en lien avec la vie scolaire, d’apprécier l’aptitude du candidat à :

• s’approprier les valeurs de la République, dont la laïcité, et les exigences du service public (droits et obligations du fonctionnaire dont la neutralité, lutte contre les discriminations et stéréotypes, promotion de l’égalité, notamment entre les filles et les garçons, etc.) ;
  • faire connaître et faire partager ces valeurs et exigences.

Durée de l’épreuve : trente-cinq minutes. Coefficient 3.

Le candidat admissible transmet préalablement une fiche individuelle de renseignement établie sur le modèle figurant à l’annexe VI du présent arrêté, selon les modalités définies dans l’arrêté d’ouverture.

Pour les sections de langues vivantes étrangères ou régionales, l’entretien se déroule en français.

Thank you for the info! I will look into it… you ne er know the old girl might still have a chance!

1 Like

You can do the capes to teach English or whatever your degree is in, but your French, both written and spoken, has to be native-level in order to stand a chance. You are unlikely to be allowed to teach primary because of the emphasis on spoken French and formal French grammar.

2 Likes

Pumpkin, please don’t give up! I’m a midwife, not a teacher but I’m teaching, as a contracuelle, in an éducation national lycée pro. They are pretty desperate I think, around here a lot of unfilled positions, never cover if teachers off ect. What department are you in? Feel free to ask any questions about the process. I had given up after 2 years of sending in my paperwork to the académie, all it took was a phone call from my principle where I am and I had all approved and contract signed, and started within 5 days!!! If you are in Nouvelle Aquitaine I can give you all the details of who to approach directly!

I am 62 and am wondering if I would be considered too old to work. Without giving too much away are you anywhere near my age? I would be happy to be a cleaner. :wink:

Have you visited your Pole d’emploi?

I did nearly two years about but was told to wait until I got my CdS. I’ll have to try going again. I am having french lessons now so that should help.

Maisons de retraite are crying out for staff. Talk to Pole Emploi about the necessary training.