Beware of being charged extra TVA/Tariffs for receiving something from the UK that used to be free

DHL pays the customs duty and import VAT on your behalf, but charges a fee of 2.5% of the duty/tax, with a minimum charge of £11.

Would customs + VAT, + £11(plus maybe 20% VAT on top of the surcharge?) get you anywhere near 35€?

““already have the package then job done surely and money still in your pocket, it’s a win win.””

It was all very confusing, all I was presented with by a very young agitated DHL driver was a list of charges. Above all he was only concerned that the time he was spending exceeded the 90 second allocated for each delivery, and just wanted to his on his way! I waived a debit card at him to which he said non, (I had no cash and didn’t have time to look for cheque book).
There was a list of charges totalling nearly 50% of value…which seemed extortionate, I now see from various articles delivery companies are levying processing charges as the want.
One of four things are likely to happen…hear no more about it; he will come for the money; i will be unknowingly be blacklisted by DHL computer and they will simple return stuff…or I’ll get a summons through my letter box ! I await with baited breath.

interesting Amazon email…genuine …a rebate of £0.58 is being applied to your account as a refund of part of the export guarantee fee …the original order was about £10 I think …

That would depend if you every want DHL to deliver to that name/address again.

If you don’t pay, next time they have a deliver for you, you get a letter instead asking to pay the import charges for your new delivery and your arrears for the last one.

…do you speak from experience or conjecture?

1 Like

Actual experience with FedEx, TNT and DHL privately and at my previous employer.

They aren’t charities.

Partner bought a product worth £1200 from UK. When it arrived the UPS driver asked for a €300 cheque, which we paid. We were perhaps too foolish/scared of losing the money already paid to challenge it.

Funnily enough since Brexit the company had reduced the item by about £300 for anyone buying from Europe.

But what is this payment? Is it VAT? Tarrifs? Is there any way we can find out what we can expect to pay in the future? A £60 food parcel from the British Corner Shop attracted no extra fees. So confusing!

And before you say, yes we should have asked for a breakdown of the charges…

1 Like

I’ve bought items from (pro) eBay sellers in the UK since January for around this amount and haven’t had a problem. Strange

DHL man didn’t come the following day for the €35.50 but i then received a demand with detailed explanation for payment from DHL which was posted on 26/05, arrived on the 02/06 with a date for receipt of money by 3rd!

Were the various costs itemised by DHL’s reasonable… and did they include French VAT / TVA?

… and of course on 01July all of the ‘concessions’ on VAT and import duty vanish. So even something from UK which cost £1.00 will attract TVA when mailed into France.

Can somebody tell me how will La Poste will collect say €1,50 and what about a magazine on monthly subscription…as this will apply to all items from any none EU country, so many items, I just cant imagine any carrier will want their drivers knocking doors…

but they will, they are not charitable institutions - expect transport prices to go up for the consumer.

1 Like

Things will be different after 30 June, that’s all.

Many businesses will do the work their end, so they will pay VAT/TVA into France rather than UK and sort out the customs duty too. The problem with come with small businesses or those who send little to europe where it will not be worth their while to set up the processes. So you’ll have to pay on delivery.

I am a consumer buying goods online from a UK-based website. What do
I need to consider when it comes to VAT and customs duty?

Since 1 January 2021, goods bought online for personal use from a business in the UK are subject to customs formalities in the EU, including the relevant VAT and duties where applicable.

Until 30 June 2021, goods with a customs value of less than EUR 22 can, under certain conditions, be exempt from VAT when entering the EU. However, this will change from 1 July 2021, from which date VAT will be due on all imports, regardless of their value.

Excise duty will be due on alcohol and tobacco products from Great Britain and must be paid before the goods will be released.

Sometimes online businesses, postal operators and/or courier services take care of the administration related to the VAT and duties due on non-EU goods entering the EU. If this is not the case, you may be contacted by the postal operator or customs authorities in your Member State in order to settle the outstanding VAT or customs duties due on your parcel.
Read the terms and conditions and delivery information carefully when buying online from the UK.

1 Like

It’s 5 months since I started this topic and in 10 days it’s all likely to get worse :confused:
WEF 1 July TVA has no low escape level so even if the import from the UK has a declared value of 2€ then TVA becomes due. No doubt if its Country of Origin is not EU then duty rules will also bite :cry:

Good news is a Birthday Card fits into a normal letter sized envelope so is exempt :partying_face:

But… does anyone know how La Postie will demand/collect the 40c?

I think as @JaneJones had already said in the comment above yours, the idea is that there should be considerably less of this because sellers should have registered for IOSS and then charged you the 40c when you bought the item which they will pass on meaning there will be nothing to do at the doorstep. By making marketplaces do it automatically I guess they hope they’ve collected up a significant proportion of small sellers in one sweep, and getting larger sellers to either register for IOSS or keep as they were doing with registrations in individual countries, it should get a lot of the cases. However that is if people have done what they should do. I guess the pressure will be on them as if they haven’t, just as happened on the 1st Jan, they will suddenly get an influx of complaints from customers saying ‘I had to pay’, and perhaps like happened in Jan an increase of items returned to them because customers refuse delivery rather than pay, although I’d expect if it’s smaller sums it wouldn’t be such a big issue.

None of which actually answers your question I appreciate. I read somewhere about the amounts being banded, so you’d pay the postie a round figure, and what wasn’t the tax would go as a processing fee, with a discount if you pay online once you receive an email or text from the delivery company whichever that is, but I only saw that information once, can’t find it now, and tbh don’t even know if it was about this specific situation which is why I have been hesitant to mention it here as it may be completely wrong. But the principle of it makes sense to me, so it would probably be the way for them to go.

Simple the policy is clearly stated as punitive ( linked official correspondence) so expect everything to be hard …nothing will be facilitated …it has become impossible/expensive/administratively intensive to send a parcel(!) as a resident for over 46 years things have never been harder. Use Amazon and never order anything from a website that does not pay the duty for you.
The UK voted democratically for Brexit whatever anyone thinks the implementation of the vote is laudable. No one here ever talks about net contributions to the budget so no more a lie than that. We voted against the Lisbon treaty they it went ahead all the same…they never asked us to vote again what do we know?

Don’t use Amazon, but look for local suppliers. Far better in so many ways.

Yes so that is why you have to pay duty on items coming to France from UK (and various other countries) because you aren’t in Europe any more. I don’t see what there is for Brexit supporters to complain about.
Obviously my sympathy goes out to those who didn’t want Brexit and are now suffering the consequences.
And don’t use Amazon.

2 Likes