Charges on parcel from the UK

They know that they have people over a barrel.

I think we all just have to find EU alternatives to ordering from the UK. A lot of Dutch sites seem to be in English and German postage is very good (cheaper than french!).

1 Like

People will, of course - to the detriment of UK SME’s

Which is why I find Mr Powell’s claims difficult to swallow. Firms that have gone bust will not be driving the UK to dominance on the global trade scene.

3 Likes

I can’t remember the last time I ordered anything from the UK. One one hand that’s a nuisance as it’s useful to buy thing in ££s as half our income is in ££s. But I’ve found better suppliers here, or in other EU countries, which now have far less hassle.

Exactly what I have been doing, the only things I buy from the UK now are Kindle downloads. I do use the Amazon UK site to read about stuff I am interested in though, and then go to de. or f. to buy. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

See also discussion on above thread…

somebody told me, or I read, that from 1st June or July the threshold below which French customs waived the VAT is being was being removed. Because I think e-commerce sites in the far East were abusing it…or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

1 July the previous exemption for packages valued under 22 euros disappears.

What I simply dont understand is what were Britain’s negotiators actually negotiating with the EU as a trade deal to include consumers? Why have Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein got the same as EU countries when they’re not EU and yet British negotiators apparently didn’t even bother to secure at least the same deal those other non-EU countries got for their consumers and probably their small businesses as well.

It certainly pays to shop around & do your homework.
I am a bit cruel to watches & my job (plus my tendency to wear it 24/7) means that they get a bit of a bashing.
Currently my favourite brand is made in China & it has to be said the quality is very good.
I use UK eBay but check the country of despatch as prices can vary, in this case a difference of £31.49!
Here it is, available from two different sources -

Or here -

Because the UK negotiators were almost all entirely inexperienced - and thus not terribly good, and led by oafish, Europhobic ideologues.

4 Likes

Follow the lead of the Chinese - whatever you send its value is £9.99 (or $13), which is below the taxation level.
Without checking and relying on my diminishing memory, I believe that you can return ‘property’ without paying duty (ie: you left it at your son’s after your last visit).
As far as I’m concerned, the way politicians get away with everything, if I can find a loophole I’ll definitely give it a go!

Won’t help as of July - the VAT exemption disappears.

The onus will also fall on sellers of small, low value, items to collect UK or EU VAT and pay it to the authorities - though I’m not sure how this is supposed to work for gifts from private individuals.

Friend of mine had a birthday present parcel arrive chez moi just now (because dhl can’t find her house) luckily she was here as the parcel worth £35 wasn’t handed over until she had coughed up €29.50.
Bit of a shocker don’t you think.

Might get to be a bigger shock if the EU slap tariffs on because the UK is being an arse over the NIP.

Fairly standard if it’s from outside the EU, I’m afraid.
If you’re sourcing from (eg) the UK, I find it’s better to mentally add the TVA, duty and courier charges and then see if you can beat the price by shopping within the EU.
I’ve just sourced a replacement bearing for my mower from Portugal, saving about €25 over the UK price. And it arrived in less than 72 hours :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I haven’t worked out to base any present-donating friends and family in Portugal yet!

I don’t get anything from the UK and if I buy online I do it through EU sites - I felt very sorry for my friend today, she was stuck, wishing her kind friend who sent her a birthday present hadn’t bothered.
I knew this was the case in theory, it is a surprise when you see it though.

But didn’t the friend have to pay at least the courier charges in order to send it?

There is a postage charge paid by the sender, then the courier company may collect other fees from the addressee on delivery, depending on origin, value and nature of the contents. These typically comprise tva, duty and handling costs.

Doesn’t work when the customs open the parcel and find goods of a value far in excess of the declared value. Keeping trying that and you’ll have HMRC / DGDDI knocking on your door.