Bitter Coffee

I’m pretty sure this topic isn’t going to set the forum alight :fire: but help me if you can please :wink:

I’ve lived in France full-time for over 15 years and have never found a decent, non-bitter coffee. I’ve tried loads in all the formats but no-joy. I’ve just had few days over the border (in Spain) and each time I’m there I remark how good the coffee tastes. No bitterness just smooth, tasty coffee. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

I realise it’s very much a personal taste thing, heck it may even be a cultural thing - but does anyone have any ideas, apart from buying it over the border! :coffee::coffee::coffee:

1 Like

If it is your personal taste Simon, then, as you say, buy it in Spain or, if you know the blend, on line.

1 Like

At last, someone who has the same problem … sorry that I don’t have the answer! :blush:

1 Like

I know Jane and yes, online is an option - it’s just bonkers though isn’t it?

It’s one of my ‘Emperor’s New Clothes’ things - as in I want to shout out ‘Hey! Guess what - the coffee’s bitter! Not good, horrible, astringent, sh*t

1 Like

Ann - admitting it is the first step to recovery!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m pretty sure we’ll be bombarded with a whole range of delicious blends to try… :thinking:

1 Like

Not from me Simon.
It seems as though you have already done your taste testing.
The best coffee I have had was from some beans from Yemen that we roasted in the oven, ground and then drank the coffee.
It was many moons ago, but I can still remember how delicious it was.

1 Like

Trying to be polite when you are served coffee and it’s just so horrible that you want to spit it out is the worse thing…

I now refuse coffee by saying that it upsets my system!

If ever you find the name of the coffe that you were served in Spain then please print it here and I will search online.

Maybe we will be sent some samples by the kind members here :wink:

1 Like

Actually Jane I’ve just had a quick Google and you’re not wrong! Coffee from the Yemen would indeed seem to be some of the best in the world!

Are you talking about going out for coffee or making it at home?

I bought a bean to cup machine about a year ago, took ages to settle on a coffee I “liked”. Eventually settled for own brand Carrefour 1kg for about €4.80. To my probably tainted palette, and definitely ruined sense of smell this was as good, if not better than some costing 4 or 5 times as much.
As for going out, I’ll have a beer :beers:

2 Likes

I agree with you Simon but look what the Spaniards say

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.vice.com/es/article/kbjxa9/espana-peor-cafe-europa&ved=2ahUKEwjM37K28rDgAhVRRBoKHazzAHYQFjAPegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1fNeINHkuHmwzExdxQgEG3

30 mars 2017 · En España tomamos el peor café de Europa. No lo digo yo, lo dicen los expertos. Es la segunda bebida más consumida después del agua y el segundo producto más comercializado después del …

1 Like

can only agree although it varies enormously and I’m always surprised when it’s not bitter! The first bar where I deliver the Dépêche is so bitter even the chocolate doesn’t help (which is why I hardly ever stop for a coffee), the second bar where and second delivery is where I drink it every day before opening the shop. It’s OK but not much more than that. I serve tassimo coffee in the shop and that’s not bad. I’m addicted to the stuff and can very easily drink 10 or more espresso a day; it’s 11h00 and I’m about to drink my 4th of the morning :open_mouth:

Worst coffee always seems to be served in restaurants!!!

4 Likes

Obviously if the former then the only control is where you choose to drink your coffee.

If the former then lots of control beyond what brand and lots of variables to play with.

So, do you buy beans or ready ground, what brands have you tried and how do you make your coffee (filter, press, espresso machine etc).

Lots of detail on the process here - Is it possible to make the perfect cup of coffee at home?

1 Like

I thought Simon meant out and about. At home a good cup of coffee (ie one to one’s own taste) is fairly easy. I use the trusty Bialetti moka pot I have had since I first went up to university.

2 Likes

Thanks Mark , I was primarily referring to home coffee but the stuff served in cafes / restaurants is generally just as vile. I’ve ended up having crèmes and noisettes just to make it drinkable!

Good idea the bean to cup machine - which one do you have?

Thanks Paul great link! I generally use dosettes at home - maybe time for a change?

I have a noisette which is fine if they make it hot enough.

1 Like

Thanks Vero - the Spanish brand coffee I’ve been drinking was Torrelsa - apparently only available to hotels, bars, restaurants…

Never heard of a Bialetti Moka pot so will take a look! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Stuff you drink out is very hit and miss as depends so much on the barista. However if you’re making it at home and have tried loads of brands then perhaps the problems lies in how you are making it?

Do you have water too hot, have the wrong grind of coffee for the system you use, leave it too long, or not clean out your equipment regularly (coffee residue is oily & can go rancid)?

Failing all that the maybe start taking sugar!

1 Like

I add a drop of full milk, that tends to remove the bitterness.

1 Like

One time, visiting Jarnac (Charente) I was interested to find a coffe/tasting kiosk in their covered market.

That place sells the beans for grinding… or ready ground… and so many different varietes… it was great fun testing a few… The idea is to try and find the one to your own taste… and then you can buy the necessary to make it at home.

Perhaps there is something similar elsewhere, surely can’t be a one-off…:thinking:

Once you know what you like (or hate) … it would be interesting to find out which coffees are being served locally… sort out the wheat from the chaff… :relaxed:

1 Like