Bitter Coffee

"Never heard of a Bialetti Moka pot so will take a look! "
It is one of these, they come in different sizes, I am posting a pic from the web as mine look old and manky :laughing:

3 Likes

I have one but it’s no good on an induction hob so will have to buy another.

I’ve got one… won in a raffle, unused so far… not even sure how to use it… but am ready to learn… :thinking:

We took ages in finding a ground coffee for cafetiere, that we truly liked.
The winner was Lavazza’s Oro…which is usually £4.30 for 250g, now on offer at £3.00 .

Carrefour also has it…2*250g for 8.30 euros (total)…that’s cheaper than standard uk price, ( but not the uk offer price).
We find it a very smooth coffee…

For instant it varies but i like either L’or or Douwe Egberts. L’or seems a comparable price to uk at Carrefour.

2 Likes

They’re great. Just the process of using them is therapeutic.
Basically you unscrew the top from the bottom. In the bottom is a metal holder for the ground coffee.
Take that out.
Put water into the bottom reservoir. Pop the coffee holder in and put in ground coffee. Screw the top back on.
Put on heat, not induction, and let it brew. The water will steam its way through the coffee and fresh coffee will appear in top pot.
Voila.

1 Like

I’ll have to have a go.

We do drag out our wedding-present percolator… 1969 brushed stainless steel…Russell Hobbs … on occasions and our favourite coffee beans are Blue Mountain… but all this fell by the wayside when tasty ready-ground coffee and filter machines popped into our lives…

Oh my, just writing about this brings back happy memories from long ago… :hugs:

2 Likes

I only drink coffee and am very fussy (what a shock), at home we have a Dualit machine which takes pads (dosettes) or ground coffee. If Simon thinks coffee is bad here go to the US and try and get anything resembling what you get in your local cafe, he’ll never complain again.

I too have a wedding present percolator which my husband uses regularly. It is getting very shabby as it’s 43 years old and I’m hoping it will keep going.

Simon. You are near Toulouse so can I recommend a stand in Les Halles Victor Hugo ? Just inside the door opposite à boulanger I always have allongé but this is one if the few places I really enjoyed the coffee. They also do good freshly squeezed OJ.

That said it’s all a matter of personal taste!!

1 Like

Thanks Glenn! Don’t think I’ve tried Lavazza’s Oro but I always used to love the Lavazza coffee served in our crew report centre!

You know what - that’s the first brand and brew recommendation in 28 posts (so far!) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So maybe it really is difficult to find a smooth fresh coffee…???

Thanks Caroline - I know the coffee stand but never tried one - so I’ll make a point of it next time I’m there ! :wink:

1 Like

I’ve got a Delonghi Autentica, can’t remember the model number. Think it cost about €350. Adjustable to taste, strength, how fine the beans are ground etc. Think you can use ready ground coffee in it too, but I’ve never used that option

1 Like

I put planteur des tropiques catering pack coffee in my pot! You get it in Inter in a big gold vacuum bag. Also had some excellent coffee my daughter brought back from her stint on a farm in Brazil, no idea what it was.

1 Like

Blimey , for that price I would want the waiter living here and making it every day ! :rofl:

1 Like

Laugh-out-loud moment there Ann! Thanks :joy::joy::joy:

PS - when you say ‘making it’ you mean the coffee right ? :blush:

2 Likes

Worth every euro :grin:. If I didn’t spend it, someone else would have, and we’ve enough clutterybollocks…

If you try it, this is what to look for …

I think it is the only product they use “Gold” packaging for. and same colour in UK too.

1 Like

Well if you want brand recommendations…

The blue can contains Lavazzo Oro for our normal espresso made in a bialeti, the Malongo des petits producteurs is a good value supermarket (superU) coffee for daily use in cafetière, and then Vietnamese and Guatemala beans for when we want something more special and prepared to get out the coffee grinder…

3 Likes

Fabulous - thanks Jane!

We cannot find a coffee to beat Lavazza Oro - it also comes in tins and is always in short supply in the local supermarkets - We have beans for emergencies when the shelves are empty - Makes a great cafe au lait - perfect for breakfast.

2 Likes