Bitter Coffee

I may be the worst person to answer given I drink coffee strong enough to stand the spoon in - but brands for ground coffee I’m actually quite impressed with Carte Noir recently - on offer in Carrefour it was own brand price. Its nothing amazing - it is however a half decent coffee.

1 Like

Mark you’re a real coffee nerd!!

Aw, thanks…:blush:

1 Like

Haven’t seen the tins before Dan , but obviously a greater take up of the Oro in your parts than mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a serious faux pas for a coffee aficionado!

This next link is a bit of a stretch but thought you might enjoy it!

3 Likes

never heard of a moka, Simon, you haven’t lived (in coffee terms) yet. Still use mine from time to time but prefer a machine espresso for the froth and less hassle :smiley:

1 Like

LOL I’ve heard of Moka / Mocha coffee - just never knew the preparation thingy was called a Bialetti Moka. I vaguely remember learning about them in history lessons ! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

We find the Grande Mère dégustation OK. Buy beans if poss. Our LeClerc has them but beans are rare. The ground is ubiquitous though.

1 Like

I quite like McDonald’s coffee…

1 Like

Ahhhh right with you Hilary - absolutely agree!

Beurk…

Morning Jane - have you tried McDo’s coffee served in their McCafés?

IMO It’s really good - smooth, not bitter, fresh tasting. I know it’s an imported Italian blend - I’ll ask them for the brand name next time I’m in. I suspect it’s made especially for them.

No, the last time I had a mug of brown watery stuff at McDo’s put me off so much that not been back. Shame as quite liked their internet speeds. Not sure if the ones here are McCafés…

Honestly Jane - give it a bash - definitely not brown watery stuff lol :slight_smile:

Try l’atelier des saveurs in Tournus for a really nice coffee without bitterness. To my mind it is often the maker of the coffee who makes it bitter. In a rushed cafe the espresso machine is too hot and burns the coffee giving it that distinctive burnt bitter taste. If the water is too hot when making coffee in a cafetière for instance, that also makes it bitter. The art of a good coffee is HOW you make it. It is an art worthy of great dedication and not always dependent on the coffee type. The coffee when poured, even if black should have a distinctive cream coloured froth on it. That means it’s been oxygenated well. If it’s black and flat looking expect it to be bitter.

1 Like

It bitter because they over roast it in France according to my eldest who has a share in a coffee roasting company in Wales!

2 Likes

In order to have (at least) GOOD TASTY coffee at home you need :
a) quality coffee grains,
b) coffee machine with grinder.
Coffee “moulu” or in capsules- you do not know what is inside, usually, it’s a mix of different coffees, impossible to recognize. You need aroma,full taste of beans and this is simply not possible for a coffee who was prepared & packed a few months ago.
Everything depends on which kind of coffee is your favourite. For example, my husband drinks only black espresso or mocha from Cuban beans (very tasty but way too strong for me), and I prefer grand latté made from Brazilian beans.

Basically, if you want a good one, you do not go cheap on coffee. Personally, I buy coffee from bio shops only. Yes, is not cheap but is REAL coffee. And yes, indeed, Java is one of the best.
Also, it depends on which kind of taste you prefer. For example, beans from Brésil are light, sweet &fruity.
Beans from Columbia have a rich taste and citrus-like acidity (too strong for my taste).
I suggest to visit & read this page: espressocoffeeguide.com.

Coffee machine. Beans need a grinder. I used to use Bialetti but I always had a separate grinder.
Now, I use Melitta machine à expresso Automatique Caffeo® Solo® & Perfect Milk (bought it for 400€). Only better (in my private opinion) machine is Jura but here price starts from 1k.

So, I wish you good luck with looking for good, smooth coffee beans:)

2 Likes

I would add to the list: water quality!

2 Likes

Just a quick note to thank everyone for their contributions on this ‘bitter’ topic! I really appreciate your input and ideas and it’s given me lots of things to investigate in my quest for the perfect cuppa :yum::yum::yum:

For some perspective, I completely get that it’s a ‘first-world-problem’ and not at all important in the great scheme of things - it’s just one of those niggly things in life I’ve never really got round to addressing! Anyway - thanks very much :+1::+1::+1:

I agree with this…I buy from local Bio shop mix of beans from Peru and Mexico. They have a grinder for cafeteire or filter (it’s adjustable for grind.) My every day (morning) coffee. Then Lavazza in espresso (or the bialetti brand stove top) machine. And can adjust strength to taste! Perfect to please my taste but we’re all different. :slight_smile:

1 Like