Bonfires.... general rule of thumb?

So does anyone know what the rules are around bonfires please. Can you have bonfires this time of year or any time of year.

ANSWER: bonfires are not permitted by private citizens at all due to new nationwide laws - must be composted or stuff taken to be recycled speak to local Mairie for specific local bylaws which may apply in your commune in this regard.

1 Like

As is often the case in France it depends on your particular commune.

If your Mairie is big enough to have a good website then you might find the rules on there otherwise I suggest you go to the Mairie and ask.

As far as I’m aware, burning rubbish at home is no longer allowed. That is certainly the case here…apart from farmers.

I’m not sure about your area Brian, but here (24110) bonfires have now been banned unless you get written permission from the mairie. They give you a two week period,of your choosing, to have the bonfire. I’m not sure this will apply during the summer months?
Our neighbour had a bonfire yesterday, he is one that sticks to the rules.

Well I shall be having a big fire here tomorrow, no other choice after felling some trees. The wood from the trunks can be used but the thousands of branches can’t.
I did have permission from the Mayor to drop the trees on commune land, as I am next to a farm where they have huge fires after tree trimming I can’t forsee any problems.

Completely against national law to have a bonfire as a private individual. No if’s, no but’s - maximum fine currently 450€.

Bonfires are generally forbidden now. We have a spot in the village for green waste, and the rest has to go to déchèterie.

Check here to see what situation is in your commune.

There is no chance that I can remove it all so a fire it will have to be, a small one over a few days should clear it rather than the massive ones that my farmer neighbour has.

2 Likes

Dusk / at night is the best time :wink:

Just remember that the wind slacks and backs at dusk. Last thing you want is the smoke drifting towards neighbours who may complain or sparks that could become airborne and ignite trees/bushes nearby…

Except chipping it into mulch and re using it perhaps?

We get regular communiqués from the Mairie.
The February one specifically stated no fires from April to September inclusive.

1 Like

John I would love to do that but the cost of a chipper to take the size of the branches that I have is alas way too expensive for my budget !
We don’t all drive round in 4 x 4’s, have swimming pools and gites you know :wink:

3 Likes

Rentable from one of those hire places?

1 Like

I’ve got a Google Photo file with loads of pictures of bonfires in my valley - and not everyone lighting them is a farmer! I realise (!) that proving someone else’s guilt goes no way to helping my case if I’m caught with a bonfire. I’m not sure what I’d do with the pics but it keeps me happy snapping away - ‘gotya’ :camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:

Anyway - I love a good bonfire - I can happily stare at them for ages :fire::fire::fire:

Hummmm about 100€ / day (e.g. Loxam) - not cheap.

At 800 euros caution - 81 euros per day and a probable rental of 3 days + 150 kms round trip it would be cheaper to pay the fine !

3 Likes

OMG - I forgot about the caution. That’s my view Ann - cheaper to pay the fine - send me to the Bastille !! :smile: See you there !!

2 Likes

Also some of the avis I have read don’t give me much confidence…Ps -would you like a picture of my fire for your collection ? :fire::fire::grin:

Yes PLEASE !!