Bonfires.... general rule of thumb?

I suppose 1 out of 3 isn’t great in some people’s eyes. I am always very dubious of pool people who don’t actually own a pool.

Talking about pools - most folks that I know that have them (not loads in the Pyrenees!) are completely obsessed with them - almost to OCD proportions. If they come up in conversation - you’re stuffed! My own brother is one of them !! :crazy_face:

Yes normally very entertaining, listening to people talking bollix. I tend to keep very quiet and move away quickly :joy:

1 Like

Yep - bit like me when people want to tell me all about their last flight and the food they had… :sleeping:

1 Like

Last year I talked about my pool because I was worrying out loud. My best friend who stayed for 2 weeks makes her own cards. She made a fake trip advisor card for my birthday and included how much she had learned about pool chemistry :grinning: This year I’m trying to be less of a bore and just quietly check the pool each morning.

2 Likes

This year in our commune we all piled our prunings in one place and the local rubbish people sent us a big chipper for a morning (with a person to help operate it) all for free . Everyone helped chip, and then we each got to take away chippings. In 4 hours we got through a huge heap.

We don’t have a trailer, so many trips with boot filled with prunings, but only 1km so doable.

2 Likes

That is such a sensible idea.

1 Like

If you have space then create a log pile/beetle bank. It may take a long time but itw ill rot down. We have a five metre by two metre by two metre “hedge” of bamboo prunings and tree prunings in a quiet damp spot it’s been added to over the last ten years and each year it sinks a little and more is added on top. Good for insect life and no risk of inadvertently setting light to the commune.

3 Likes

If only …I don’t have the capabilities to move trees or logs from the commune land and carry them over stone walls and into my garden…
The fire took 2 of us 4 hours and everything is now clean, the commune land is now in a much better condition than before too as I even took down a dangerous branch… :innocent:
The Mayor would like me to buy the land ( I think a euro might do it ) because he has to send someone to clear it every year. I don’t want it, I have tried looking after it in the past and have planted loads of bulbs, it has an ancient well and lavoir but it’s too much work and I don’t want any more responsibility.

+1 for David’s log pile. Unfortunately ours has become a log mountain so I bought a reasonable sized chipper. Its petrol powered which is unfortunate but the net gain is worth it as the chippings are very useful in the garden.

1 Like

This reference is to burning garden waste rather than an interdiction on all bonfires.

It will be necessary to check with your marie to find out whether there is a derogation or not.

In some parts of the country there are very strict rules on any sort of fire, including wood/charcoal bbqs, so as to prevent the outbreak of wildfires. These rules may be part of the local/departmental/regional bye-laws or may be implemented from time to time depending on the weather conditions. They often also impose obligations on property owners to cut down grass/shrubs and dispose of the dechets verts to ensure a fire break around properties.

Really Grahame - so what would you happily go ahead and burn on your property then? Do share with the group… :wink: (possibly re-read the SP info?)

Round here none of the locals have any problems with a bonfire. They all have them all the time. I suspect it’s because it’s a very small commune and everyone seems to be related to everyone else. :grin::grin:.

Are you Sue ? If not then there’s always the danger of ‘shop a foreigner day’ coming along - happened to one of my friends in a small commune (c500).

1 Like

No-I said locals😁. Everyone seems related in some way or other and the mayor seems to be everyone’s cousin at the very least. I keep out of all discussions about anyone else " pas mon histoire" because I don’t want to get involved with any local feuds. I talk to everyone with the same friendliness. Some family members round here haven’t spoken to each other for decades-can’t do with being dragged into that!!

2 Likes

As I said Simon, you have to check with your Marie.

@anon65742194. I disagree with you, my reading of the reference is that it applies to green waste and household waste. Which seems quite comprehensive. To quote from service public:

“Il est interdit de brûler à l’air libre ses déchets verts , comme l’ensemble de ses déchets ménagers, des dérogations peuvent exister, dans les communes”.

2 Likes

Not only…

Il est interdit de brûler à l’air libre ses déchets verts , comme l’ensemble de ses déchets ménagers.

In order to avoid/reduce air pollution and fire hazard - the burning of more of less anything, by the private person, is forbidden nowadays.

Anyone with a problem due to too much green stuff (or whatever) - should speak with the Mairie, who will advise on disposal/compostage etc etc. Or they may be pointed in the directed of their local environmental centre.

1 Like

Agree entirely dechets verts a.k.a garden waste - trimmings, grass cuttings etc.