Bonfires.... general rule of thumb?

Exactly dechets menagers - houshold waste. Although some municipalities consider dechets verts as a special category of dechets menagers.

I think that, quite soon, we will all be considering Garden Waste and Household Waste in the same manner as we currently consider Plastic.

ie: Reduce Production of whatever Waste and Recycle wherever possible.

Simon, I’ve already replied to this point.

As I have said you have to check with your marie.

Grahame Pigney

P** Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P
**Sauvegardons la planùte. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

No Grahame you haven’t said what you DO burn
i.e
if not dĂ©chets verts , or any other kind of dĂ©chets mĂ©nagers what is it you burn as a private individual? Simple question. It may do us all a favour.

Simon, I burn what I am allowed to burn and that varies based on a lot of things - which commune I’m in, the time of year

Check with your marie about what, if anything, you are allowed to burn.

Ok I give up. I know exactly what I’m allowed to burn - nothing (it’s legal thing
)! :roll_eyes:

Simon,

If that is what applies in your commune you have the answer that applies to you.

I have an answer that applies to me.

As I said people have to check with their marie to find out what the local situation is.

Grahame

Grahame Pigney

P

Yep - I think you might have mentioned that Grahame - jolly good :crazy_face:

Simon,

I have mentioned, several times, in my posts that you have to check with you marie what is allowed.

Grahame Pigney

P

I think we all know that the Mairie is the place to ask this and many, many other questions.

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

3 Likes

@anon65742194 I’m struggling to understand what you consider to be dĂ©chets menagers that aren’t included in the overall ban? Or is your commune especially lenient? We can’t burn anything at all, except by special application.

1 Like

Jane,

Ask at your marie. They will tell you what is allowed, or not, in your commune.

I only know what the general situation is (national laws perhaps modified by local bye-laws) and what happens in my own commune.

Grahame Pigney

P

My neighbours was “caught” burning garden waste, grass cuttings, branches etc., by the local gendarmes.
Their interpretation is that burning anything at home is strictly forbidden, whatever it may be.

4 Likes

Stella we DO!! You may have mentioned it
 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I was beginning to think Grahame had something to do with you
 :wink:

Anyway - I’m going to take my laptop up to the mairie and ask then what they think about this thread
 :smile: I think they’re open between 16h07 and 16h10 every 7th Thursday

When the law first came in we asked permission a few times - which was no problem - a simple form at the Marie - but I must admit neither us nor our neighbours bother any more.
The ban is I think a good thing in towns - but in our context, which is technically a village (it has a church) but with nearly every house having a large garden backing onto fields - everyone seems to recognise that the occasional garden-waste bonfire is harmless. There is, also, a problem with the permission thing that was perhaps unforeseen: you have to specify the date, but in reality it’s safer and more considerate to act quickly when the wind is just right, not wait for the calendar.

I’m sorry but:
M.A.I.R.I.E. Mairie. Not Marie. They aren’t even pronounced the same way.

3 Likes

I’m bursting to know what exactly it is that @anon65742194 burns - I won’t sleep
 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ahhhhhh - that’s it then but
who the heck’s Marie? Does anyone know her???

3 Likes

Hello Grahame, I am not quite sure that I understand you, in reply to Simon’s question you said

“Simon, I burn what I am allowed to burn and that varies based on a lot of things - which commune I’m in, the time of year
”

Does this mean that you have properties in several communes ? If so do you move your dĂ©chets from the ones that don’t allow any bonfires to the ones that do ?

Don’t the “maries” (!) of these communes have any agreement between them then ? 

3 Likes

As far as I’m concerned all ‘open’ garden bonfires have been banned as it’s bad for the environment, if others don’t want to respect that or think that what they burn doesn’t really matter then all I can say is - boo,boo,boo.:grinning: