Boris changes his hero from Churchill to Henry VIII

Such a pity that the Test Acts of 1661 and 1673 were ever repealed and by a Tory government too.

Possibly the first example of different fiction authors featuring the same character in their novels?

I am a little surprised at the frankness of this discussion, arenā€™t there laws against such anti-religious outpourings?

Anyway, my own position is that, being forced on pain of punishment to attend at least one of the Sunday services in the Minster attached to my boarding grammar school, I developed a healthy hatred and mistrust of all things religious.

Then, during a short sojourn at college and picking up the Gideon handily placed in my room, I went through a brief conversion and read some of it every night before sleep, before becoming bored and fed up with it, migrating to more entertaining fiction, and have been appalled by the results of such superstition ever since.

Thus both my marriages have been conducted at Basford Cathedral (otherwise know to the inhabitants of Nottingham as the registry office) and I have only been inside a church on very rare occasions since, usually to please someone else. :roll_eyes:

Iā€™m happy for people to believe in whichever Invisible Sky Friend that takes their fancy and I try to show a polite level of respect for anyone that does so.

Right up until they tell me that I have to live my life according to their Invisible Sky Friend Hamdbook, at which point I will be less polite in expressing opinions on the matter.

1 Like

Vive la laĆÆcitĆ©!

1 Like

I donā€™t think Hilary Mantel will be writing an update of the Wolf Hall Trilogy with Dominick Cummings as Thomas Cromwell and BoJo as Henry.

but might include Gove as the evil Cardinal Wolseley

1 Like

I never actually read Wolseley as being that evil. Stephen Gardiner on the other handā€¦

1 Like

No. My sister wanted to have her marriage annulled but couldnā€™t face the grilling that she, I and her other friends would face as witnesses.

2 Likes