Boris Johnson - liar, fraud and just plain stupid

See discussion here:

1 Like

However, in the NPCC document (of which I must admit I was not aware, published later than the time I had any involvement):

2.2.3 However, it must be noted, that the business of government or of a local authority does not
cease. Similarly, whilst care should be shown by the force, the importance of policing does not
diminish merely because an election is due to be held. The functions associated with policing still
must be performed.

“Functions associated with policing - (such as bring people to book perhaps for criminal activity?) must be performed.”
So how does that fit with the Met decision?
Haven’t there been “issues” in the past with Tommy Robinson and others, for example when they were a candidate seeking election?

Maugham’s view was that they haven’t stopped investigating or carrying out the policing bit, merely stopped issuing updates - which they are not obliged to do in any case.

well, that’s all right then :roll_eyes:

I know what you mean, it seems terribly convenient but, at this point, Johnson’s popularity with the general public is so low that I’m not sure how much of a difference it would make in practice.

except as to seal the electorate’s resolve that the corrupt Crime Minister and his party is seriously tainted and that all Tory candidates can be tarred with the same brush.
Better perhaps that transparency was maintained, any new fines issued and that the Police could avoid any suggestion - whether justified or not - of being “nobbled” with undue pressure from the centre being applied to suppress the inevitable?
The Police deserve better imo.

The idea of ‘pre-election rules’ is to stop governments, councils etc from issuing last minute policy decisions/ideas to try and influence the election, it’s therefore understandable why the Met felt that they had no choice as publicly announcing more fines now would have no doubt resulted in a change in voting intentions for many people.

This has nothing to do with withholding information from the public on whether those in No 10 broke Covid laws.
It has more to do with the track record of Bo Jo and his thwarted attempt to prorogue Parliament, to get his own way at all costs. That didn’t work and neither should this.

It would affect voter intention as would the government announcing ÂŁ100 billion in tax cuts or spending plans two days before the election.

I think you may be referring to purdah @tim17
There are differing rules for GE’s and for locals as set out in the following guidance from The Institute for Government

It’s the same principle Graham, the rules are there to stop last minute announcements affecting election results.

No one is particularly making a fuss about the Met’s decision other than the Johnson hating devotees.

I’m not sure that is quite correct tbh.
Opinion generally amongst opposition parties is that Jonson is stained and the longer he stays in power, the more chance they have of wiping out the Tories in any election :grin:
Maybe that is the reason his staunch supporters are now calling for him to go and go now. Steve Baker MP being a case in point. They fear for their seats

1 Like

Piece below is an extract from the obituary of David Gardner who worked for the FT for 44 years and retired recently as international affairs editor
says it all!

Gardner used to tell how Boris Johnson, as Telegraph correspondent, had once copied whole paragraphs from his FT story the following day. “I accused him of blatant plagiarism,” Gardner said. The future prime minister was unashamed. “Don’t you know we treat the FT as a primary source,” he replied.

I don’t see the logic in your position here @tim17 - you seem to be saying that an announcement might influence voters but suppressing an announcement won’t.

Surely withholding bad news just before an election is at least as likely to influence voters as proclaiming good news?

You might argue that publishing details of Johnson’s wrongdoing is an active intervention, but merely remaining silent isn’t - but that’s not true either when it’s an active decision to cease publishing.

The rules forbid any ‘good news’ so for fairness surely ‘bad news’ should also be forbidden?

AGREE
Top of Tory MP’s worry list particularly in red wall and similar is that decisions, comments and Johnson’s antics in No. 10 at present will lose them their seats which is why they will very likely ditch him before the autumn conference.

by which time it may be too late

Why not just be honest?

If Johnson resigned tomorrow how would your life change Jane?