Breaching the 90 day rule

I’m wondering if anybody could provide an accurate response to the following.
I returned back to the UK a couple of weeks ago having stayed for what I thought was 88 days. I’ve had a house there for around 17 years and for a multitude of reasons don’t want to live there permanently. I don’t have a CdS or a long stay visa so I observe the 90/180 day ruling. On this last occasion the 88 days turned out to be 95 days, my mistake.
French passport control pulled me to one side explained the situation and asked me to pay a 198 euro fine. The official walked me towards a building in order to make the payment, along the way we discussed in French why I was in France for three months, I explained I have a house there, the official stopped walking telling me to return to my car asking me for bills to prove that I have said house.
I provided her a few bills, she checked them and told me I could go without paying the fine. I did so but I was confused, why let me go? Of course I’m not complaining but I was under the impression that ownership of a property in France doesn’t exempt you from the 90/180 day ruling. Can anybody shed any light on this ?
Was I simply lucky? I did make her laugh out loud when we were conversing on the way to the payment area, when she asked if I’d got any bills I responded in French, “hey, this is France of course I’ve got bills.
Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

You were lucky.

6 Likes

Are you really handsome especially to a certain kind of uniformed women, perhaps? Or I wonder if it was your obvious linguistic skills and/or the fact that you were accepting your fate cheerfully and without protest. :thinking:

But seriously, I can’t otherwise explain it but am nevertheless fascinated to know what the real reason was. Definitely watching this space. Stay lucky. :wink: :joy:

2 Likes

You were lucky and the Official was forgiving… :wink: :+1:

Do make sure you get things straight in future… I’m not sure lightning strikes twice in the same place :wink: :wink:

1 Like

I think Stella is right - you had a good reason for a slight overstay which you could back up and maybe lightened the border guard’s day a little.

I wouldn’t do it again though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As others say, she cut you some slack and I wouldn’t depend on it happening again.

2 Likes

Thank you for the replies. Quite so, I think I was lucky.

2 Likes

And have you dismissed my ‘charm offensive’ suggestion? :rofl:

Maybe the officials are sick of the brexit do’s and dont’s as well and are cutting people with french property some slack as they are putting into the economy with their taxes and spending.

2 Likes

Yep, I find this happening a lot more,

I think you are now meant to go back and smack some of the brexshits - there are 29 million of the b’tards (but I appreciate that it is hard to find one when you want one such is their yellow belly ways) and tell them what a fine mess they put you into :grinning:

2 Likes

Please don’t give them any more validity than they actually (arguably) had.

There were 17,4 million misguided/duped people who put their cross in the leave box in 2016.
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 09.49.43

1 Like

Don’t forget the hard dyed in the wool racists and bigots who came out of the woodwork when wound up by the likes of U*ip party and their members and the lies spouted by the tories about weekly payments to the EU that could go into the NHS, well that never happened either.

1 Like

Asked to stay in France so Bil can enjoy a cooked evening meal on their return to France (brexit voter) “sorry I cant as I would over stay the 90 days you voted for” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Shame an interesting thread turned into yet another opportunity to moan. Now muted.

6 Likes

It had gone its distance, original matter discussed and settled.

1 Like

I did get her phone number or it may have been a reference number I didn’t have my glasses on :wink::smiling_face:

4 Likes

One further thing, as I was driving to my UK home I wondered what you could do if you were back in the UK and you’d been informed your house was on fire over in France and you’d used your 90 days. Or perhaps you were returning home after 90 days and you got a call to say one of your relatives staying at the house has had a heart attack or on their last legs etc. Would this be sufficient mitigation to go back in to the Schengen area?

Frankly, until something like this does occur and the person takes us through what subsequently happened… all we can do is speculate vaguely…

If my house is on fire in France… contact the Mairie, explain that I’ve used 90 days and ask their advice…

Similarly for a “dying” relative…

for Mairie one can substitute French Embassy or similar…

In desparate times, people can be sympathetic and helpful… it depends on so many variables. :wink: :wink:

Someone who simply “does it” …could then report to the Mairie and throw themselves on the mercy of the French Admin (whatever)… who knows…

Would immigration actually let you in?

Why dont you call her to ask😉