Bregret: the EU perspective

France 24: the French view of Brexit - 20 minutes worthy viewing

The France 24 video mentioned in full:

5 Likes

“British farmers and many others are completely bolixed……” :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

yes, I liked that response too…

1 Like

Yes - good video - thanks for sharing it - always interesting to hear views on brexit from non-british experts. As the presenter says - you simply don’t hear anything like this on UK TV.

2 Likes

Also:
‘The UK government has been asked by the European Court of Human Rights to respond to a number of ‘credible allegations’ brought by a group of cross-party MPs over alleged Russian interference in the Brexit referendum.’

3 Likes

I don’t think Russian interference could have done any more damage to the UK than Johnson, Gove and Farrage did between them.

Suggestion is they were funded by Russia.

Featuring the UKIP representative moaning about immigration from his business the CafĂŠ de Paris, no less :woozy_face:

1 Like

It’s certainly true that an awful lot of Russian money found its way into the Tory Party, and that Russians were very active contributors on the ‘Leave’ side of the brexit campaign (eg. we know at least 35,000 pro-leave tweets originated in Russia) - and we know Russia’s long-held objective is to break up the EU.

Ironic, isn’t it, that people like Boris Johnson are now so gung-ho against Putin, when a few years ago they were his ‘useful idiots’.

6 Likes

Les jeux sont faits, rien ne va plus !

Indeed.

Useful bit of scaremongering for any other EU members sitting on the fence. Seems to have worked because even Greece now mentions leaving not at all.

Bit sad for the once venerable Great Britain

1 Like

Brilliant, wasn’t it :joy:

1 Like

Yes, the “Brexit bonus” has actually been for the EU. Ironic, isn’t it?

2 Likes

This is a well written article summing up the current state of affairs

“The sad and cruel truth is that strategic blunders as colossal as Brexit can’t be corrected easily or swiftly. Some mistakes have to be paid for over many years. This, alas, is the UK’s fate. Not a golden age, but ages of regret.”

Sad, indeed.

2 Likes

I thought the UK was ‘playing nicely’. Didn’t last long. Sunak ‘risks full-scale trade war’ with Brussels by scrapping EU laws | Brexit | The Guardian

Sunak is useless. He’s hamstrung at every level.
Best thing he could do is grow a pair and call a GE.

Also in tomorrow’s Observer: "Simon Marginson, professor of higher education at Oxford… described Brexit as a “historic error of monumental proportions”.

What do we expect from a bunch of “f**kwits”?

It wasn’t an error. It was entirely deliberate.

I’m surprised that people are surprised ,that money from the EU doesn’t go to none EU entities .

1 Like

I don’t think anybody’s expressing surprise about that Richard.
It’s more a question of pointing out that what was negotiated in the withdrawal agreement and subsequently promised by the UK government - for example replacing lost EU funds - has not been delivered in the event.

Also, emphasising the serious damage this is doing is important. The UK university sector was one of its flagships. We live in an increasingly complex world - cutting edge research is no longer done to any great extent by businesses except in collaboration with universities - usually in transnational partnerships. The UK is quite simply falling behind - and the damage being done here and now will affect the UK’s future for decades.

2 Likes