Brexit means Brexit means Doom and Gloom

After reading some of the above I think the thread title should be changed to ‘The End of the World Is Nigh’. :grinning:

another 3 word slogan out of the window then check, change, go. :wink:

I know what you mean but you can’t escape the fact that Brexit is a terrible idea implemented badly.

While we are on the Doom & Gloom theme:

Oh, I’ve edited the title - hope that Tim likes the new one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes it was - although I don’t think he used that term as he saw it as a good thing! The basic argument of his book The Sovereign Individual is that globalisation will erode the tax base of nation states, first making the ‘European Social Model’ (capitalism but with a welfare state) unviable and eventually collapsing social order entirely - but far from seeing this as a disaster, the argument is that this is a good thing - freeing wealthy individuals and corporations from any regulatory constraint and allowing them to rule the world!

I’ve no doubt that in so far as it has a rational basis, brexit is best understood as a fracture within capitalism’s dominant ideology, along the lines Monbiot suggests - though there is also more than a dash of British hubris - and most of us are just collateral damage in this.

My view remains that there is likely to be a cobbled-together deal, and although there will be some disruption over the next few months it won’t be disastrous (except for a relatively small minority who lose their businesses/jobs, depend on imported medicines, etc); the real doom and gloom will be in the long-term - for all of us, but especially in the UK: increasing inequality, injustice, living standards for most falling relatively, and social and political instability (which is what the ‘disaster capitalists’ actually want - precisely why the arguments of the likes of us cut no ice at all with them).
I wonder if France will accept English refugees?

I think that you are right - but the problem is that Johnson’s response to being corralled from both sides (business on one hand and the ERG on the other) will be to do what he does best and avoid making a decision - leaving us with a de-facto no deal.

One can hope :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’re not doing a bad job already! They’ve made it easy for those under the radar to become proper residents which seems pretty generous to me.

6 Likes

Over generous if you ask me.
They have given the rest of us a bad name.

1 Like

The ridiculousness continues…
Check, Change, go fuck yourself :roll_eyes:

1 Like

With the inevitable teething problems that seem to occur with everyh Government IT system, it does not bode well, but again, whoever thought it would.
Previous disasters are not so far away that even those with short term memory can recall them and, more to the point, learn from them.

Interesting analysis as always from Paul Mason…

I was fascinated to discover that Gove had the same diagnosis of the voting drivers as myself! (Though a completely different prescription of course) ,…

Gove went a long way towards accepting the left’s critique of neoliberalism. In sum he said it had failed to deliver to low-skilled and poorly-qualified people, who had in revolt switched to right-wing populist parties and a radicalised left.
Citing Antonio Gramsci’s famous thesis that in an interregnum between old and new social orders ‘morbid symptoms’ appear—and so the fascism that had made him prisoner—Gove said: ‘Now our age is not the 1930s. But it is an age of morbid symptoms. The model that the current generation of political leaders inherited has been crumbling.’

1 Like

You’ve got to laugh!!
Izzy x

1 Like

I deeply sympathise with any who voted Remain and now find themselves restricted to Schengen rules (though, as previously discussed France might have an appropriate visa class to help with this).

Any who voted Leave can just make do with what they voted for.

2 Likes

Well given the paper it was reported in… but for heaven’ sake, with 33 days to go surely this is not news?

I know! Has it only taken them 4 years to work this out?!
Izzy x

1 Like

Brits who live in the UK and have a second home in France aren’t expats. What a confused article.

2 Likes

I know you are in this position Paul and, of course, I am sympathetic. Anyone who bought a second property in France before the Brexit vote can have had no idea that this was going to happen.
I do have a tiny “however” which I doubt will be very popular here. Anyone who can afford to buy a second home, in France or anywhere else, is living a life of privilege that millions of people around the world can only dream of. A little perspective is needed here.
I’m off to hide for a while. Please don’t be too mean!
Izzy x

5 Likes

The Daily Fail are too outraged to get their facts right!
Izzy x

1 Like