Brexit means Brexit means Doom and Gloom

Yes, as I have said on this forum previously I totally agree that having a 2nd home is  a privilege, when many do not even have a 1st that they actually own. That said one does not have to be fabulously wealthy to do so.

As it happens I am not too affected by this at the moment and, of course, I always knew that there would be restrictions. I suspect that anyone to whom this is a surprise is a Leave voter who bought into the “nothing will change” spiel.

At present I am limited to 6 weeks or so because I work, at that is the amount of annual leave that I have - so it is impossible to exceed the Schengen limits anyway. Where it will make a difference is we won’t be able to do the “stay for the summer” thing unless there is a long stay but tourist visa on offer when I retire. That will probably mean making a choice between France or the UK as our main home - I am sufficiently Francophile to want it to be France, I am less sure about the rest of the family but we will see - it’s a while yet and a lot could change.

2 Likes

You’re spot on, as usual Izzy…

2 Likes

divorce is always an option :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The aspect that caught my eye was the EU’s new post-Brexit travel rules.
They’re not new at all are they? - just an automatic result of the UK’s actions.

2 Likes

Not even slightly.

4 Likes

Read this a couple of times and let it sink in.

We’re f****d.

1 Like

Sunny uplands, easiest deal ever, cake and eat it, oven ready…

1 Like

There’s no way I can afford one of those :crazy_face:

Surely other half would give you a discount on her fees if you asked her nicely :thinking:

Mine didn’t

4 Likes

supervised by Dido Harding perhaps? :thinking:

They will be taking photos from the ISS.

It must be late and my eyes are tired - I thought you had written that they will be taking the piss…

3 Likes

I am completely shocked. Something good is coming out of Brexshit courtesy of SWMBO at No10. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/03/uk-to-become-first-country-in-europe-to-ban-live-animal-exports?utm_term=35bd644138a2583e9645545abf199130&utm_campaign=MorningBriefingUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=morningbriefinguk_email

2 Likes

A good thing no doubt

But the mood music in the EU is that they probably ought to do the same - had the UK stayed in and lobbied effectively for this it might have already happened.

It’s a “win” but, honestly, such a microscopically small one that I only get a sense of them scraping the barrel to find something good to say about Brexit.

1 Like

call me (as ever) a sceptic but isn’t it more likely that this is necessary because transporting livestock through the massive delays at customs borders would be cruel rather than, as suggested, as benefit of Brexshit?
The UK could have done this years ago whilst a key player in Europe but, as usual, did nothing as @anon88169868 suggests.

1 Like

An off the hoof decision probably

But they’re not bleating about the bush