Brexit - really?

Yes, the UK voluntarily joined the Common Market.

Since then the people as a whole have had no say in what followed, starting with the change from Common Market to EEC.

I hope the UK breaks away from the EU permanently, and stops systematically putting a spoke in the wheel, then taking delight in saying that they don't think the EU will work out well.

How long did it take the USA to get where it was, and that without so many languages to contend with?

Westminster should just keep bowing down to its Washington DC Lord and Master. One day they'll realize that the USA is looking out for itself, and cares little or not at all about who it tramples to reach its ends.

Hillary Clinton says she'll obliterate Iran if she's President. I want nothing to do with such people. Let Westminster have them, and let Westminster leave the EU alone, and stop acting like Calimero.

Interesting point. I hadn't thought of the advantages to the eu of a brexit. And whilst I agree with your sentilents regarding the self centred nature of the US... Hilary Clinton did actually say "the United States could "totally obliterate" Iran in retaliation for a nuclear strike against Israel. " I mean... she would be lying if she said they couldn't. Perhaps she would, but she didn't say that. and in retaliation for a heinous crime if so. Not that I'm into the Koran's eye for an eye but perhaps Iran is?

"Answer this question - what has the EU done for us?"

As you are the one who appears to have decided to vote to remain, is it not you who should be answering that question? As far as I can make out, the whole "Remain" cmpaign has been of the alleged negative effects that Brexit would bring. I still await a positive, upbeat, message that would answer your question, from any of the "inners"! On the other hand, we would have an instant saving, for the British taxpayer (and even some/many of we ex-pats continue to pay income tax in the UK) of £55m+/day gross. We are, I believe, the second largest net contrutor ro the EU coffers - little wonder that those with vested interests want to keep us in. The expression "cash-cow" immediately comes to mind! We would no longer be ruled by unelected Brussels EUrocrats who appear to be, like many of our own "life peers", politicians who failed in their own countries! We would be free to trade with the rest of the world without having to jump through any EU hoops. We would be able to control our own borders.

What has the EU done for us (I am reading that as the UK)? Pretty near nothing that we couldn't have done ourselves! Oh, I did forget the reduction in roaming charges. That, frankly, is not worth our national sovereignty!

https://vimeo.com/user14444354/review/166378572/11244b88d0

Since few if any people voting to leave would feel any effect at all and they will be deciding on the basis of near total ignorance (albeit like most democracy), why change the status quo? The people to be most affected will probably be ex-pats (here and in the UK) or those political scumbags manoevring for more power and influence. The "man in the street" will perhaps feel he "won't get fooled again"

In a court of law most muslims choose to affirm rather than swear on the Koran. The swearing of oaths being forbidden. Sharia law is not infiltrating UK law yes there are religious courts but the jewish community have had these for years and they're a pain if you ask many jewish women trying to get a divorce. Canon law relates to the practice of a Christian religion it has nothing to do with either Criminal or Civil Law. I could go on but I have a metaphorical bus to catch.

If most of us are acting in total ignorance, that is a major indictment of Government, the BBC and other news channels, the media, etc. How come we are all so ignorant about major issues? Who is hiding the truth? Why can't we make decisions based on hard facts instead of juvenile emotion?

I personally think that there is no wrong decision. As we used to do in IT Management - "We will make the right decision, then make the decision right".

Being more intelligent doesn't make them right. Argument from authority - logical fallacy.

Any more than being stupid makes anyone wrong, just less able to think critically

There are several false assumptions and downright inaccurate statements in this video.

Linus Pauling was convinced that overdosing on vitamin C cured colds and he gained a lot of support because he was a Nobel Laureate ... but on physics not medicine.

"Since ... people voting to leave ... ... will be deciding on the basis of near total ignorance ..."

If that is the case, Is it not equally true for those who choose to vote to remain? Just asking!!!

isn't that the same as fixing it later? Or do you mean that any decision can be made right?

There are those who attempt to inform themselves perhaps despite the media or the government rather than with their help. Part of the problem is that few of the facts are "hard" so much is a matter of interpretation or opinion. Its like most things in politics or religion, you can all know the same facts but come to a different conclusion. My main point was that the majority are being driven by emotive opinions and not the facts. And that the main people to be affected, detrimentally imo, will be expats like us and like the many eu citizens currently helping to support the UK economy. I have yet to see how anyone other than political power shuffling will actually benefit from a brexit. The opinions offered are too emotive on either side. But its the ex-pats here who still seem to hark back to blighty instead of accepting their choice of home who will certainly feel the effect, in incertainty if not actually in legal and finqncial terms.

Then why, Brian, are you living in it? You want the UK out but choose to live & take advantage of a country who wants to stay in. You want your cake & eat it - don't bang on about patriotism unless you are going to practice it.

My specific reasons for living in France would, I suspect, not be fully understood by you. They involve what I would refer to as a "call". However, as I stated in an earlier comment, if I take the definition of "ex-pat" as opposed to "immigrant" that was offered by someone else (quite some time ago; I think in this forum), then I am an ex-pat. I live, and serve, in a country that is not the land of my birth. I am happy to do so. It is the fact that I retain a love for my birth country, and that I have children, a grand-child, and many other family members and friends, who still live there, that makes me want what I consider to be the best for that country. There is also the possibility that, at some future date, we may sense that it is right for us to return to Scotland - which I firmly believe will still be an integral part of the UK. That, of course, I would hope would be a UK that is free from the shackles of what is arguably the most corrupt, self-serving, political entity in recent history, and the dictates of an unelected, self-perpetuating, cabal that currently makes the decisions that the elected MsEP merely 'rubber-stamp'.

I find no conflict between living here, and wanting freedom for the land of my forefathers. Other are, of course, fully entitled to take a different and, indeed, totally opposite point of view. To almost quote the alleged words of a famous Frenchman: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it"! (Voltaire?).

By the way, if the UK does leave the EU, I suspect that she will not be the only country to do so. There are, you may be aware voices, even in France, that are already calling for "Frexit"!

Surely then, you also want Scottish independence too?

Interesting distinction, expat or immigrant. It says a lot about attitudes doesn't it? Perhaps its a matter of time, integration and acceptance. At the moment I work here and pay tax but it feels so that I can stay here, perhaps I don't "belong" yet. I am embarrased and irritated by Brits who steadfastly remain Brits even in France but perhaps its just a matter of commitment and/or trying to fit in.

Not sure about how true it is that a Brexit will signal a disintegration though, I think the previous poster who said that EU light be better off without the constant bickering from the UK.

I guess for me, in conclusion, I feel (yes its emotional, since the facts are so diverse) that I (and by association, most British expats over here) would be better off in than out. Perhaps my last word here.

"Scottish independence"??? During that referendum campaign, one of the major points was that the SNP slogan "independence in Europe (i.e. the EU)" was an oxymoron. It still is. What they and their followers want is separation - a totally different kettle of fish. So no, I do not wish for Scottish "independence" because I do not believe that, in the contemporary world, it would be capable of dealing with it. Countries of a similar size that are truly independent, tend not to have been in a political, financial, union with other countries during, at least, their recent history. That, too, is something different.

Perhaps if that original "parcel o' rogues' had not sold Scotland out (much as many of us believe DC et al are seeking to do with the UK), and Scotland had been a truly independent nation for the past few centuries, the story would be different. However, much as some would appear to wish to do so, we cannot really re-write history. What's done, is done.

Well I don't know look at Scandiwegia

I suppose if you want to ally yourself with a load of neo Petainiste French fascists that's up to you. Really you are in a win win situation. You are called here by a higher power to minister unto us heathens which you can do by virtue of the EU, though because I suppose you are beyond retirement age you are probably ministering on the black. To our friends in the EU you are simply a private citizen though we know you are plying your "godly" trade whether for profit or not . Should things turn "tits up" ,sorry I'm very common, you can sod off to Scotland and do your God bothering there, probably in the next ten years Scotland becoming an new member of the EU you'll be able to come back to France and bother us again. Frankly you are an ememy of enlightened Europe and I have no regard for you or your opinions. Gardonne would be well rid of you and your evangelical nonsense. I'm sure I will get into lots of trouble for this but sod off and sod off with your patriotism.By the way your Christian friends in France were in the vanguard of the Petainiste régime and look where that got us. You have come to live in a part of France which has a long history of Protestant philosophes et benevoles like the famille Reclus and the famille Bost. I'm sure they would have wanted to unite the family of Europe not divide it as you so clearly desire.

Thank you for such an erudite and uplifting response that makes so many false assumptions.

I shall refrain from any further comment as I have no wish to emulate.

@ David G

You would normally be in trouble but a) I have enough on my plate , b) you were very pithy and c), it made me snigger.

Just please, please, please be a bit more 'dinner party' in your next reply as Mr H and his herniated disc are currently causing me quite enough aggro.

*Smiley face*

x

yes Hills. She said it in a speech only on Tuesday.

Opinions are free, making up facts to fit them isn't.

I'm not talking about her position for nor against TPP or similar.

Only in her reply to yet another trumpism.

"really yearn for world financial stability and don't give a toss about the UK"

so global instability is good for the UK if it withdraws from a market place of 200 million plus with no restrictions, and looks to its own 55 million to support itself?

Since when?