Brexit - Time to Stop Whinging?

Unless the EU parliament rejects the WA next week Brexit is going to happen. Is it now time to stop whinging and just deal with it?

6 Likes

no more whinging from meā€¦ :hugs: Iā€™m feeling a great ā€œcalmā€ nowā€¦ finallyā€¦ and getting on with plans for the year ahead which will, of course, involve old cars and fun times with friends here in France. :hugs:

3 Likes

I never saw you as a whinger Stella. Iā€™ve long been resigned to just accepting that things will never be the same again and will go through the residency process so I can continue to live and work here, I get that people are angry but at some point reality has to take over.

7 Likes

Well, Iā€™m glad you donā€™t see me as a whingerā€¦ but I have been a bit vocal, although maybe not so bad online as I have been here in my commune and surroundingsā€¦ :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

There is a difference between being vocal and whinging

5 Likes

Of course there is, but those who do not like their position challenged cannot acknowledge the difference, aka Trump et al.

I can get a bit carried awayā€¦ perhaps the forum only sees my gentle side. :crazy_face:

Yes, and whinging is a somewhat pejorative word. Iā€™d hope that people were always entitled to fight for what they believe in - whether one calls that vocal activism or whinging. I suppose what youā€™d call it is in itself revealing.

7 Likes

As long as you are not asking people to do as Mr Johnson has suggested when he has asked Britons to forget their differences and pull together to make Brexit work. Itā€™s very hard to anything that you donā€™t believe in and Iā€™m sure that there will be a huge number of people who will not find it easy to forgive and forget. Donā€™t forget BJ allegedly changed his mind from being a remainer to being a leaver within 24 hours, not everyone is that shallow. All this talk about Big Ben and other ā€˜celebrationsā€™ really hasnā€™t helped one bit.

5 Likes

I didnā€™t use the word to begin with

I know you didnā€™t, I was agreeing with your differentiation. Iā€™m sorry if that wasnā€™t clear.

I find this forum very confusing to be honest, particularly with the layout of the replies to comments. :slight_smile: I hope Iā€™ll get used to it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s okay, sorry if I was somewhat defensive

Brexshit might be happening but it doesnā€™t mean that I have to like it :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I think that is a givenā€¦

1 Like

I bet if someone took away his rights from Bo Jo he would have something to bluster about it!

1 Like

There are 3 problems with Timothyā€™s first post here, arenā€™t there?
One is - as has been pointed out - the value-loaded term ā€˜whingingā€™ - which for others is just political/economic discussion; the second is ā€˜just deal with itā€™ - which seems to imply we shouldnā€™t engage in said discussion; and the third - the implication that ā€˜dealing with itā€™ and discussing it are mutually exclusive.
The truth for me is that I have dealt with it - ie. Iā€™ve taken all the practical steps needed - but political/economic discussion in my family and among my friends is an integral part of life, greatly enjoyed by all. So why stop?

6 Likes

Iā€™m with Ian Dunt on this one - it is not a genuine attempt to reach out and make some concessions to Remainers. It is just more ā€œyou lost suck it upā€ albeit slightly more polite than some similar comments.

No, Tim, I am not going to bow down and accept with good grace a hugely harming act to our nation foisted upon us by a dishonest campaign and cemented by the opposition (and I include Remainers in this) going AWOL and failing to learn lessons from 2016 to apply to 2019

It is, I think, a mistake to consider that Johnson switched from Remain to Leave - his interest was purely selfish and he simply chose the side of the fence for the issue du jour that he thought would further his own political career - for him, at least, that choice has paid off.

Although I still have a feeling that the adage ā€œbe careful what you wish forā€ will apply in the long run.

The one thing that sticks in my craw - Leavers really are poor winners. Youā€™d think that they would be happy, forward looking as they have got what they want but they are not - they are just full of spite and hate. Almost as if they realise itā€™s a really bad idea and are looking for someone to blame.

9 Likes

Having read hundreds and hundreds of posts you have written on this subject - passionately, intelligently and succinctly stating your case - over the past few years, l am really interested what practical steps you personally are going to take to ā€œnot bow down and accept with good grace a hugely harming actā€. Other than posting your discontent on SF. What is it, exactly, that you are going to do.

Sometimes, and this is only a personal observation of loss, you have to go through the seven stages of grief which are shock, denial, bargaining, guilt, anger, depression and acceptance,

1 Like

To whom do you refer @Dan_Wood - I left my ouija board in the UK with ,my crystal ball :grin:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a common error to believe that those stages are experienced in serial order as often wrongly inferred from the list; and that they are like sausages on a string, or wagons on a goods train.

As KĆ¼bler-Ross herself stressed, they may occur in parallel, together, or some not manifest at all, or not in ā€˜typicalā€™ or easily recognisable form.

Grief is also misrepresented as feeling or showing sorrow. Grief describes the whole complex of feelings and behaviours, sometimes including sorrow, which is not the same as sadness or tearfulness, and canā€™t be ā€˜postponedā€™ as claimed by ill-informed media types, and by some bereaved people themselves.

Grieving is a complex experience that unfolds in a unique way for each individual, and/or group. It may be supported, or obstructed, but not controlled or managed, by outsiders. It follows its own trajectory, which may be, and may have to be, an endless path.

Paul, like us all, will ā€˜grieveā€™ in his own way, in his own time, and his experience will wisely inform us all, if we allow it to. I look forward to his posts, and bless him for his insights, clarity, and openness.

5 Likes