Brexit - Time to Stop Whinging?

This was in response to Paul who l quoted - Mr Goble worked it out - bless him​:+1::+1::+1:

Yes - but apart from posting on here what is he actually going to do about the inevitability of Brexit - That is my question - quite simple really​:grinning::blush::grinning:

1 Like

He’s demonstrated through his post what any emotionally and intellectually coherent man or woman should do: reflect carefully and systematically on what has happened; and how, in all the dimensions of his life and experience, he may be affected; and by a similarly careful and detailed plan, decide what options for action will serve him and his wider interests best.

It won’t make for a SUN or Daily Mail headline, of course. And some will sneer superior sneers. But it’s the best way, and indeed the only way IMO.

As an intelligent man, I expect you will be inclined to agree. Or not. :thinking::smiley::hugs:

PS “For every simple question there is a answer that is simple, neat, and wrong” ’ variously and generally wrongly attributed to Mencken, Einstein, Groucho Marx etc etc :upside_down_face:

At the moment I am, honestly, not sure - I would agree that there is probably not much one can do in practice just right now. No movements to support, no parties to vote for, no marches to go on. Johnson is going through with it at any cost and the rhetoric coming from the government suggests that they have not actually acquired much of a clue in the last three years - in particular Javid’s “no alignment” rapidly followed by “well, OK, we won’t do it for the sake of it” and all the time failing to see that what shapes the negotiations is merely the possibility of divergence.

Stages of grief - no, this is not something I’m grieving over - I got to “acceptance” that it was happening and all I could do was watch in a heartbeat once the size of the Tory landslide became obvious.

But I will only be persuaded that it was the right thing to do if I see Britain prosper because of it and all the indications are that the Tories and Johnson in particular are prepared to throw the whole country under the bus in the name of “getting Brexit done”.

6 Likes

Hi Paul - Yes that’s almost the same as l see it and thank you for your response. I did like your ‘under the bus’ reference. Perhaps, and only perhaps l am a little more optimistic about the future than yourself. As in all things time will tell.

1 Like

Whinging…??? Lol…:grinning:

Whinging is a word I would have used to describe my kids when they were in the toddler stage…and a word that my daughters still use to describe their own youngsters…:grinning:

I think the dismay felt by many here and at least half the uk is totally justifiied and not adequately described by the word “whinging”…

2 Likes

Chris Grey’s latest Brexit Blog dissects Chancellor Javid and “Fuck (™BoJo) Business” Minister Zahawi like dismembered frogs on his Galvanic plate, and their puny brain-disonnected legs twitch helplessly as his scalpel touches their naked neurones…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Read on, not for the squeamish…

2 Likes

@Helen6 I’m going Gothic for the New Year, but I guess it’s going to need a bit of work before I send it to my agent…:ghost::clown_face::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones::japanese_ogre::japanese_goblin:

1 Like

You are scaring me Stella :astonished: :wink: :hugs:

The prime minister said last night: “Next Friday marks an important moment in the history of our United Kingdom. No matter how you voted in 2016, it is the time to look ahead with confidence to the global, trailblazing country we will become . . .
I think the word should have been ‘Tribalizing’.

5 Likes

Oh it absolutely sticks in mine too. To “celebrate “ the end of an era which has brought peace, opportunities and prosperity to millions is at best ill judged , at worst , crass ignorance.
A step has been taken which will deny the prospects of young people and generations to come.
Many who may have had hopes of working or retiring to Europe will have had their dreams shattered. They will be up against impossible odds quite apart from the potential damage to the U.K. as a whole .
None of that is cause for celebration in my view. It simply rubs salt into what for many is and will remain , a very sore wound.

1 Like

So do I Mark especially on a phone as the text boxes flip about all over the place.

1 Like

@Essexness and @Mark.A

If you want to make sure that your reply is directed at a particular person (their post) why not address your reply in the same way I have addressed this… then it is clear just who you are “talking with” :thinking:

It’s more than grief though Dan. Grief doesn’t deprive others , people you have never met or will never know , of THEIR futures (capitals for emphasis not shouting). It’s not a time for grief it’s a time to hold those who perpetrated this act of self harm to account and to continue to do so. If not for ourselves then for our families and for generations to come .

@Stella yes I know but that doesn’t stop the text boxes jumping all over the place as you scroll down to read each post. It may be a problem just with iPhones but comments don’t scroll down properly . I find whilst reading some of them that I’ve suddenly been flipped to the end of the whole thread . I then have to start again from the top as some of the comments don’t fit on the screen and the same thing happens again when scrolling down.

I’m using a desktop and don’t have a problem. If I am replying to a person, I click on the unlit reply below their post… if I am replying to the thread in general I click on the highlighted reply box…

Lily replied to me… hit the unlit reply to do so… and her reply clearly shows the connection to my post, top right hand side…

I have no problems like that with my i phone. I do have problems when using an old i pad since an update to the ios.

@Stella I don’t have a desktop and rarely use my MacBook . We only have 3G here so I have to go through the faff of tethering and generally only do so when I’ve something like banking or where I need to refer to previous emails etc (gets too complicated on a phone) . As I said it’s not that I can’t reply to the right person it’s that the site itself isn’t stable on a mobile - it’s no doubt designed for desktop use - so on an iPhone at least, the comments jump down the screen and it can be difficult to scroll through without it repeatedly doing it.

2 Likes

As said no problems with my iphone, have you tried cleaning the cache https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/clear-cache-iphone-3609079/
It may help.