Brexit - Time to Stop Whinging?

As l said Vanessa “only a personal observation” - However I am interested to know, apart from through the antiquated First Past the Post electoral system which gives you a single vote in 2024, how you intend to hold the perpetrators to account.

Continuing the discussion from Brexit - Time to Stop Whinging?:

I’ve a very old , well travelled , well used iPhone . It’s not been the same since it fell down the steps of a Thai temple :see_no_evil:. I’ve a theory it’s the adverts causing the “flips” as I call them . I haven’t upgraded the iOS to 13.3 for fear of bricking the phone so maybe that’s it but it’s always done it - only on this site tho . But I digress. Don’t want to get my knuckles rapped for going off topic :rofl:… [quote=“Wozza, post:40, topic:28681, full:true”]
As said no problems with my iphone, have you tried cleaning the cache How To Clear Cache On iPhone & iPad | Macworld
It may help.
[/quote]
My previous reply seems to have gone adrift but yes I’ve cleared the cache . I suspect the adverts but it is a very old phone , well travelled and it shows​:see_no_evil:. It fell down the step of a Thai temple once. Perhaps that caused it who knows​:joy:. Don’t want to risk rapped knuckles by staying off topic . Suffice to say unless you’re this side of the ether you can’t see it doing it. Bizarrely I’ve just noticed all the symbols flick on and off too. Gremlins at work perhaps :joy:.

I am loathe to consider that you and/or your i-phone might be unstable… :crazy_face: :thinking: :roll_eyes: but, such might well be the case… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :rofl: :upside_down_face: hope you get it all working properly asap…

Nope it’s not designed for a desktop, works perfectly well on iPad and Android phone for me. Suspect it may be your phone!

1 Like

Phew, it may not be designed to do so… but I’m really glad it works well on my dinosaur desktop… :upside_down_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Works well on iPad and iPhone for me

I find that it is the adverts that cause the ‘jumping’ of the text. Often when scrolling through a series of posts one passes the greyed out word saying “Advertisement” without actually being able to see the advert. Then, after a few seconds, my laptop loads and displays the advert, and of course this takes up more vertical space on the page than the single line used by the word ‘Advertisement’, and so all the rest of the page content ‘jumps’ either up or down by itself.
Often it is difficult to work out whether the page has moved up or down, and it takes a minute or two to work out where you are, especially if it jumps again while doing so. I suppose that I should pay more attention to the post numbering while reading so that I know where I was ‘pre-jump’.

What is about brexit that will change that much for British expats as I’m not British I don’t really understand it if someone can explain it I have tried to get a answer from British friends can’t really get it from them. I was talking to my grandpa a couple of years ago about brexit he did not understand it he was talking about when he worked allot abroad in the 50s 60s how many English people he meet living In Spain and France Germany Holland and this is long before the Europen union ore free movement of people. people wore retiring and working and living back then too around Europe so what is the major topics about? I must point out that I was sad when brexit got voted for

I think ( as a UK resident) who reads a lot of forums and has friends permanently resident in France, it’s the uncertainty and not knowing how life will be affected that is a lot of the problem ,if people knew more they could plan better

I actually believe us Brits living here will be impacted less than the UK population as a whole, there will be the initial residency worries but once they’re dealt with things will settle down quite quickly, I’ll now wait to be told I’m wrong. :smile:

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Quite right… in that the Residency situation is worrying for many.

and… you know that is not the only bone of contention for us Brit Emigrants (glad you did not say Expats !!) Immigrant in France … :roll_eyes: but I reckon you are quite right in saying that we will be less impacted than folk in UK.

Should have said not designed just for a desktop!

2 Likes

I notice you did not query the word dinosaur … :crazy_face: :grin: :crazy_face:

1 Like

@Bajen. We can no longer vote! That’s a huge issue for me.

The other biggest issue for British who have already emigrated to Europe is that they are now stuck in one country. Many people work across borders, or plan to move to another EU country. They won’t be able to do that easily anymore which will particularly hit younger people. Sure if they have enough money and a job to go to it will be possible, but much more complicated. And why would anyone hire a Brit with all the complicated paperwork, when they could hire an EU national without a problem?

For the older retired people who are already here there will be lots of small inconveniences, from sending a parcel, having to use the non-EU queue at customs, to changing mobile phone contracts. And we have to trust that the big things, like pensions and healthcare, will not be affected - and I really don’t trust the UK government at all.

I agree with Tim and think Jane is broadly correct - the biggest impact will be on those who wish to work in the EU, those who wish to retire less so and those already living/working in the EU only a small amount - but there will undoubtedly be some change for everyone as Brits start to count as 3rd nation émigré(e)s.

What the differences will be will also vary country by country - because it is basically national, not EU, law which governs the rights and obligations of non-EU immigrants to each country.

France seems willing to make the transition as painless as possible for those settled in the country before the end of transition.

Undoubtedly there will be those who’s personal situation means that they move back to the UK - it is naive to think otherwise but equally there will be many Britis immigrants in France who continue their lives just fine albeit with more paperwork.

That’s the hallmark of Brexit though - it does not, fundamentally make much which is possible today impossible in a week’s or a year’s time - but it makes it harder and more bureaucratic and, for many things, not worth the effort.

The problems start when the things which become too cumbersome are the cornerstone upon which we rely for little, unimportant, activities in our lives - like jobs. :frowning:

1 Like

How will parcels be affected? If it is the cost I find that is already expensive.
If travelling then often the non EU customs queue is shorter.
It is interesting what might happen at French customs when incoming Ryanair arrives. Will those with a residency card get a new dedicated queue?
Phone contracts. If living in France your contract should be a french one, just the same as your car should be French registered.
Pensions? The worst that could happen is for OAP to be frozen but can’t see that happening somehow.
I agree that those who are on S1 might at some point have to take out insurance if the system is withdrawn but what will be will be. That is for the future.
My comments are general and not directed at Jane Jones, sorry not yet learnt to add your logo here.

1 Like

Paul, you put thinks far better than I ever could :+1:

1 Like

Yes Paul’s assessment is accurate I think - but for me the missing element is money!
Brexit adds paperwork and costs - and might still add a lot more.

The fall in the £ has already had a big impact on many - us included - and we have to be aware that there could be more shocks to come. We run a gite complex, and only yesterday I was talking to a friend here who is about to sell a similar complex. Brits make up a significant percentage of both buyers of properties like this, and the holiday market, and he fears that the extra difficulty presented by brexit - not just for buyers, but in future maybe for UK holidaymakers - will lower prices.

And there may well be more recondite issues. It’s now not impossible, for example, for a future UK government to introduce capital controls (the other side of the ‘freedom of movement’ coin) - so people like us, that still have property in the UK, could end up with money there we can’t move to France!

:+1:

But then, nothing which increases bureaucracy decreases  costs, does it? :slight_smile: