Brexit - Time to Stop Whinging?

Britons who are resident in France before the end of the transition period will find their applications for a CdS less onerous than for those people outside the EU.

1 Like

It is really confusingā€¦

In my personal situation I think I have ā€œexercised my right to freedom of movementā€ correctly although Iā€™m not entirely sureā€¦???

I moved here in June 2016ā€¦I havenā€™t been back to uk since although have been on the brink of return many times because of my momā€¦and if she needs me there I will go back in a heartbeat to take care of her for however long she needs meā€¦

Iā€™ve completed a tax return here every year (including my first partial year)

I have private health insuranceā€¦(gave up trying to get a carte vitale and for several reasons feel more comfortable at present with that decision)

Howeverā€¦my partner of over 20 years although spending as much time as possible here with me is still in ukā€¦

Weā€™re not marriedā€¦

He has his state pension so entitled to an S1ā€¦

If he makes the move here during the transition periodā€¦he will still have to spend a lot of time in ukā€¦(commercial lease with his son)

Really not sure what to do for the bestā€¦eg worrying about income requirements as a coupleā€¦(many years until I can claim my own state pension and donā€™t want to sit here wishing my life awayā€¦lol)

Any dreams my kids had of buying here/moving here have long since bit the dustā€¦my son is off to Australia insteadā€¦ (His girlfriend is currently in Chinaā€¦face mask and sanitisersā€¦!)

1 Like

I think in this instance we are talking about British nationals (English Northern Irish Scottish Welsh) who have moved to other European countries in good faith who are now facing curtailment of their rights due to it has to be said a minority 37% voting for Brexshitā€¦

Iā€™ve only ever lived in England and now France so not hugely travelledā€¦just feeling really sad as Friday approachesā€¦

Can the reason be that allot of brits donā€™t really move here what I mean when you immigrate to a country you cut with your home country for me it seems that allot of brits donā€™t do it 100% allot of brits I meet say the live in France but the are going back from allot even working in the uk still and people that are pensioners are talking about not staying here the hole life are moving back when the get to a old age what Iā€™m thinking they are not here for the long term I donā€™t get why itā€™s so important to hold on to country that you moved away from the beginning

2 Likes

Quite right Danā€¦ the confusing thing has been so many different official govt sites (French and English) which do not say the same things on their own multi sites, let alone one country saying the same as the otherā€¦

Whateverā€¦ we shall all get there in the endā€¦ :hugs:

1 Like

Most European people who emigrate within Europe (or who go somewhere out of Europe with better climate eg French people to Morocco or Senegal) have family ties still in the country from which they emigrate, and may wish to send children to university there, or own property there, etc. That is fairly normal.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got no financial ties with the ukā€¦no assets there not even a bank account but my elderly disabled mom lives thereā€¦my kids are there (albeit my youngest off to Australia for a year) ā€¦my grandkids are growing up thereā€¦they are my reasons for ā€œholding onā€ to the country of my birth and caring very muchā€¦

2 Likes

But as that is the latest information from the French Interior Ministry, published this week after the WA had been signed, I would consider it to supersede all the previous sites.
I was just questioning your statement that no sites had mentioned what will happen in the event of a deal. That one does.

Are you a French resident? If so which country have you cut all ties with?

1 Like

Feel free to question my statementsā€¦ sites are still talking about both optionsā€¦ until the EU has agreed the Withdrawal Agreement things can (and possibly will) be changed. Itā€™s all to do with swings and roundaboutsā€¦ and (for example) the French Govt have still not decided what the CdS will have printed on it for Brits already here in Franceā€¦ :upside_down_face:

Im Swedish for us it was really strange that the uk left when they were one of the 3 countries that controlled the Europen union small countryā€™s like my donā€™t really have a say and that is making allot of people in the smaller country resent the eu allot just a things about eu rules on farming that everyone had to follow and then it turned up that French farmers where not following the rules that where put in place

1 Like

I thought that individual countries could make their own adaptions to what was agreed over allā€¦

Not really

Fishing and especially hunting put allot of people to resent the eu

in what way?

(5 days time we will look back) Oh the good old days when we were members of the club

Interesting to hear a viewpoint from further away.

1 Like

You are not allowed to defend your family ore animals against wolves any more for just one thing

1 Like

Did you ever move to uk Martin or did you move from Sweden to Franceā€¦???

The very little I know about hunting in Sweden would be to do with the difference between the Swedish Elkhound and the Norwegian Elkhoundā€¦the jamthundt seeming to be a wolf hybridā€¦:slightly_smiling_face:

Edited to addā€¦is it that wolves are a protected species in Swedenā€¦???

We stil Hunt them

I read now that 4277 British citizens become Swedish citizens last year and more are becoming this year too

1 Like