Brexit vote cancelled?

It was already too late… the poor chap had expired whilst waiting for the Ambulance which never came…

1 Like

Nail on the head Paul. You and James O’Brien.

Another voice of reason. Lord Patten (of Mrs May’s deal) “it doesn’t matter how much lipstick you put on a pig… it’s still a pig”.
Well, I guess he was speaking about her deal rather than the lady herself :rofl:

3 Likes

It is quickly coming to light that the idea that was sold as “Brexit” by those campaigning for it has been shown to be completely undeliverable.

What is now proposed is not what was sold as Brexit and it is therefore not what people voted for.

I think that this is an excellent basis to hold a second referendum - ie the public were lied to.

This could be used as the basis and justification of a second referendum - blame the politicians and the basis and wording of the first referendum - but getting politicians to admit to this will be like turkeys voting for Xmas.

2 Likes

Actually, American chicken is pretty darn good. Perhaps you should try a ‘Chick-fil-A’ restaurant sometime. :wink:
Seriously though, there really is nothing wrong with US chicken. It’s all supervised by the Food and Drug Administration and is perfectly safe to eat.

Washing poultry in chlorine is safe (even the EU admit that), the issue is that this process is to compensate for filthy conditions the birds are reared in which is the real reason why US chicken is banned in Europe.

5 Likes

Importing food which is reared in lower welfare and hygiene standards is totally unfair to British farming as well as being abhorrent to the majority of people.

6 Likes

Tim and Jane are spot on - the worry is not the chlorination per se (which is a fairly dilute solution) but the fact that it allows lower hygiene sandards at the farms - as the farmers cut costs and corners.

This, in turn, allows those farmers to undercut ours who have to adhere to higher and more costly welfare standards.

If we crash out with no deal, then turn to the USA for a trade agreement you can probably wave goodbye to large parts of our farming industry. Between increased tariffs to sell into their closest market and increased competition from producers with fewer and lower overheads I don’t think that they will stand a chance.

I would have to challenge that from what I have bought and not read

When a lot of our chicken and other products (prawns etc) come from the far East and not the EU, is this US trade even necessary?

On the other hand, is British chicken really any safer. Apparently the birds are given antibiotics that are banned in the US according to this article.

Best to be in France and eat free-range chicken, bartered from a neighbour… :hugs:

4 Likes

Or your own eggs.

2 Likes

Thankfully we have friends around us who do… and the birds and their eggs are free from all and any additives… and delicious.

We don’t have enough space for chicks themselves… :wink:

The argument against antibiotics in the production of meat is that they promote resistant bacteria generally - they don’t make the meat less safe to eat.

Whether they, also, allow producers to get away with lower husbandry standards I don’t know - but it would be logical to suppose that they might.

This just popped into my mail …

They obviously need a referendum on whether or not to have another referendum…

She’s still painting herself further and further into her corner.
The last Referendum in which Leave told so many lies, overspent and used underhand means like Cambridge Analytica and in which the result was still allowed to stand is totally breaking faith with the people.

1 Like

They need to have “The Meaningful Vote” now and see where that leads us.

Bought a house lately John?