Brexit Vote, what next!

I wonder if people said the same thing in 1969 when the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18 (18 year olds voted in 1970 for the first time).
In Scotland for internal matters eg the Indy ref the voting age was 16, which seems logical seeing you can work, marry, procreate, pay taxes, die for your country etc at 16

4 Likes

no problem Peter!

1 Like

Another day, another important vote. What fun.

Assuming the ‘no-deal’ vote goes through we then move to tomorrow and the A50 extension vote, I don’t doubt that will pass so then the real test comes with the EU 27, just maybe they’ll say ‘no’ which forces either a ‘no-deal’ exit or an acceptance in parliament that May’s deal will have to do.

I don’t think the EU will accept an extension unless parliament can give a very good reason for having it. That would be a second referendum, a general election or a deal which means we are in the EU in all but name as the current deal is never going to get through.

I meant this to go to Sandy Hewlett not you Vero.
Bad night.
Having heard an old man in a London pub saying he voted Leave because ‘We won the War’, I find your assumption amusing.
Older people are more likely to vote but I do not think that they are all making really informed decisions.
You only have to look at all the pensioners who believed the lies on the Bus!

1 Like

The clock is ticking though with only 16 days left before the UK leaves.

My dil comes from South Wales, much to her disgust all her family voted leave. Her brothers are 25 and 36. Many working class areas voted leave and I totally understand them. They are living in deprived areas on low incomes or benefits with no hope of enjoying the benefits of free movement and freedom to work where they wish. David Cameron was so out of touch that he didn’t realise what austerity had done to the country. People needed someone to blame and the EU and immigrants as portrayed by the right wing media fitted the bill perfectly.
It was a perfect storm of old age bigotry and young disillusionment.

The irony in all of this is that deprived areas benefit most from European funding.
It seems that there seems to be a general misunderstanding of the importance of a Referendum.
It is not the place to give the government a kicking.
That is a General Election and it is very worrying that so many do not realise the implications involved.

4 Likes

I agree Jane, as both my parents voted leave I questioned them heavily on why they voted that way given there area had benefited from a lot of money, my dad used to be a farmer to so fully understands how they benefit from subsidies etc. But their reason they were convinced by the whole taking our sovereignty back stuff and more nhs money bus slogan bullshit. I did much before the vote to convince them it was crap but they still voted leave. Now the irony is all they do is moan about being sick of Brexit, that it never should of been allowed, that people didn’t understand what they were voting for, how bad it is to get a hospital or Dr’s appointment and that the government is doing nothing to sort it out!

I find it so hard to keep my cool when I’m trying to tell them well this is what you voted for and that I did warn them this would happen. And that the reason everything else in their lives is falling apart around them is because the government is solely fixed on delivering the Brexit they voted for so blindly. I’ve learnt to keep my temper with them but only just!

2 Likes

Let it all out Brian.
Reasoning hasn’t worked and if there is to be another Referendum we will need Remain votes.

There is a another option Tim and May hinted at it in her speech after the vote, withdrawal of Article 50. If May’s deal is the only deal Europe will accept and no deal is not an option for parliament then a change of government or leader or another referendum will do nothing to change that. A change of government may take a new approach to a deal but would Europe stomach another two years of wrangling over it? A referendum may give us a narrow remain vote it may not I’m not convince. So then we are back to square one. We should now withdraw article 50 take a a 10 year break and reconsider everything in the cold light of day. Rebuild harmony in the UK and then and only then ask the country again if it would like to consider leaving the EU. Otherwise we will just continue rush head long in to further crisis after crisis with a further splintering of the country into ever smaller factions. It’s a wholly bloody mess what ever we do right now.

1 Like

I know Jane but my dad is recovering from cancer so it’s not that easy

I suggest you tell the 17 million odd that voted Leave that their vote was meaningless.

I will hapilly let Nigel Farage apologise for promising the undeliverable!

1 Like

Though he never will.

1 Like

On a positive note, my Dad is 81 and still goes out campaigning for the Lib Dems and will be on the People’s Vote March on the 23rd.

I can’t see why Theresa May should be able to put her deal to a vote again and again but we don’t get another say, especially when what is on offer isn’t what people voted for.

And let us give those 2 million voters who have turned 18 since the referendum a say! No wonder Brexiteers don’t want another vote.

But point taken about lots of older voters not making informed decisions. The fact is many of them have been literally brainwashed by the Daily Mail over the course of forty years.

4 Likes

There is no huge clamour for a second vote, if there was surely we’d have heard about it.

I think it has definitely gained in credibility as an option. I was initially unconvinced, however as Brexit as it was originally conceived has been proven to be undeliverable, I think that the options that are currently on offer need to be agreed by a public vote.

@tim17 this is not directed at you but to all those Brexiteers out there. This current chaos, this is what you voted for. Remainers went for the status quo.

Time to own the mess rather than blame other people. If your promises had been deliverable, we would be sailing on ahead right now.

1 Like

“let us give those 2 million voters who have turned 18 since the referendum a say! No wonder Brexiteers don’t want another vote”

What evidence do you have these 2 million people would vote remain? Also i think its amazing that you think older people that voted leave have been brain washed. People don’t want another referendum because we have already had one, Leave won but members of parliament seem to have forgotten that.

2 Likes

The likelihood is that at least 70% would vote remain based on polls and surveys.

1 Like