Brexit Vote, what next!

And here is a reasonable explanation:

1 Like

Interesting Graphic on the BEEB

Looks pretty clear that the Tories are the problem stopping any forward progress, for nothing, against everything including their leader’s deal.

I’d really like to see the same graphic for the rest of the voting.

Why I said it was ridiculous Paul is because a large majority of Conservatives are said to of not followed the spirit of this and voted tactically in order that no clear fore runner cane forward in order to make May’s deal more of a front runner. So once again rather than free votes to break the impasse they played party Politics instead!

1 Like

And to be honest looking at results I think a lot of labour ones to!

Looking at the graphic Labour could have easily made 2nd referendum pass as it wouldn’t have taken many of those Labour MPs who voted against to have voted for instead.

It just shows what self serving creatures they are.
They do not deserve to be representatives of the UK people.
I can imagine that one of the reasons they want to avoid an election is that they are running scared
of losing their seats as people are disgusted with their antics.

4 Likes

Poor chap probably went for a tom-tit :poop:

1 Like

I don’t know if it was tactical, party loyalty, stubbornness or stupidity (probably a mix of all four) but, as I said above, it does seem that the Tories won’t get behind much except no deal or May’s deal. Unfortunately that split means the House can’t reach a majority on anything.

At least the present process is an attempt to find a path forward but I think it will be too little too late. Interesting few days ahead I suspect.

1 Like
2 Likes

Farage really is an absolute howling shit isn’t he, everything has to be about him.

6 Likes

I don’t know how anyone can show restraint when talking about Farage & his cohorts.
I have so many words that are relevant but internet etiquette forbids their use…(afaik)

4 Likes

1 Like

Thanks for that.

Mostly voting along party lines, as you say but the Tory party split is also very visible.

The interesting thing is where the Tory votes for EEA/EFTA membership will go with that option off the table - doesn’t look like there are enough of them to rescue CM2.0 but there could be enough to get Clarke’s plan over the line.

But 2nd preference votes could change the landscape completely.

1 Like

I think Clark"s plan and confirmatory referendum are the only 2 options that stand the faintest chance of passing.

I think it is due to be debated once more on Monday.

I have to say that I am disgusted that some MPs have abstained on these indicative votes - do these sheep not recognise that something needs to change for this issue to progress in one way or another.

I believe the cabinet was instructed to abstain.

1 Like

With a straight majority - yes, but the intention for voting on Monday AIUI is for a preferential vote system which could really stir things up.

One thing which amuses me is that there is clearly a view that “no deal” means no backstop, no divorce bill and no following EU regulations.

I’d anticipate us wanting to do a trade deal pretty quickly with the EU once the no-deal shit hits the fan. At which point they will simply say “settle these two issues and we can talk”.

As for product standards - well if anybody wants to sell into the SM they will have to accept EU product standards, it will be more expensive to get things approved but there won’t be any way around it.

I reckon 18 months into no deal and the UK will truly be a 3rd country - 3rd world, that is.

2 Likes

Another “how did we get here” rather than what next, but an interesting read.

https://www.politico.eu/article/how-uk-lost-brexit-eu-negotiation/amp/

1 Like
2 Likes