Brexit Vote, what next!

Errr, but in typical Mayspeak “I am prepared to leave this job earlier than I intended”, it’s not exactly “I’ve booked Pickfords” is it?

2 Likes

She will surely “threaten” to stay on unless her deal goes through, perhaps this is why she won’t sign anything at this time in terms of when. Then again she’s already said she wont be the PM to seek a lengthier extension.

No indeed no guarantees deal not certain, but in making this statement if the deal fails she can’t stay on surely! Especially if she won’t support one of the alternatives no way would Bercow allow a 4th attempt! Corbyn would surely call a vote of no confidence in that situation?

and there you have it…
the only MP with balls enough to stand up to the various factions of the party and show some leadership.

1 Like

After TMs announcement, David Mundell had this to say,

“PM is driven by a sense of duty and public service. Her decision today reflects again her putting the national interest ahead of personal interest”.

Couldn’t agree less.

3 Likes

Last night Boris had this to say “If we vote for the PM’s lamentable withdrawal agreement we are skewered.”

Now he’s backing it. Many others have also changed sides.
I’m sick of the whole hypocritical bunch of them.

4 Likes

Yup, with you on that one.

2 Likes

Amazing what can happen when a job opportunity suddenly appears!

2 Likes

Absolutely Brian. He’s an opportunist.

Oh God it’s already now been dubbed Trexit!!! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ooh! That’s fucked it all up DUP announcement they will not be supporting May’s deal. She doesn’t have the numbers now! I think her Brexit deal is quite possibly finally dead. Now possible suggestions Corbyn to table a vote of no confidence in the Government. Further suggestions DUP may not support government if a no confidence vote tabled. Stand by folks things could be about to get to a whole new level of total chaos!!! You really cannot make this up!!!

2 Likes

Fine. Anything but JRM as PM

1 Like

The pound didnt like the DUP announcement - fears that No Deal is closer than ever?

If May’s deal goes down the toilet as expected (one way or another), then the EU are only going to accept a new referendum as a reason to extend the deadline for a lengthy period - in MY opinion.

I cannot see them granting it for a GE as I dont believe that they think Corbyn has a credible plan.

So, one piece of parliamentary business tonight was the statutory instrument whose function is to set the date of Brexit to match the extension granted by the EU.

To not change the date would create, effectively, legal chaos because you’d have two sets of law operating simultaneously - we’d also somehow be simultaneously in and out of the EU (Schrödinger and his cat would be impressed) - so it should have gone through with no opposition.

It went through 441 to 105

That means 105 of our MPs have no f*****g clue and/or are insane.

Oh and the speaker has walked out suspending parliament but the Tories are up in arms because the mace is still in situ.

Please, please, someone pinch me so that I can wake up and find out it was all a bad dream and Bobby Ewing is alive after all.

Oh, Ian Dunt’s comment on Boris and JRM is a classic:

2 Likes

Can we have more references to Schrödinger’s cat please? Ideally I’d like to have her/his purr-sonal purr-spectives on these purr-plexing a-furs, providing always that she/he is not un-alive in her/his sealed box.

I think at this stage in the proceedings a twitch of the Schrödinger cat-tail would very purr-tinent in giving purr-puss to a situation that is seriously not up to scratch.

2 Likes

So MP’s now voted down all 8 other alternative options! This in now totally fucking ridiculous. They need to end this bollocks now! Call an election and allow the public to oust the fucking lot of you!

I never thought I’d ever feel so ashamed of my country and it’s political representatives. They should all hang their heads in utter shame!

2 Likes

OK so the votes are in - nothing with a clear majority (expected). This is just my analysis but the highlights seem to be:

Exiting with no deal once again trounced 400 to 160 against.

Other ideas which don’t look like they will survive are straight EFTA/EEA membership (defeated 377 to 65), and Marcus Fysh’s “Contingent preferential arrangements” (422 to 139).

Closest to gaining overall support on its own merits is Ken Clarke’s custom’s union 272 to 264, so just 8 votes in that one, a further referendum was next closest defeated 295 to 268.

Labour’s plan was next - defeated 307 to 237 and Common Market 2.0 and the Revoke A50 if no plan options “lost” by about 100 votes.

Presumably there will be more of this on Monday with some sort of alternative/preferential/transferable voting scheme.

Is it simply time to drop 2 of the least popular proposals to focus on the remaining proposals to focus the minds of MPs?

In this case no, it wasn’t expected that one plan would emerge the clear winner at this stage - the idea for the moment is to weed out the obvious non-starters and then there will be a further vote on Monday, this time using a voting system designed to pick the most popular overall.

It is something of a pity that the reporting is using the term “defeated” or “rejected” for these motions.

The least popular - no deal, straight EFTA with no customs union and the “Contingent preferential arrangements” (or “2 year standstill”) options are probably dead, the rest will get another vote (if I understand the process but it seems straightforward).

1 Like

I reckon the three which “lost” by significantly more than 100 votes will be eliminated.

Of the rest rather a lot contain a customs union - and if you agree to a customs union the backstop becomes less of an issue.

Personally if we have to leave I’d prefer “CM 2.0” (or “Norway Plus”, if you prefer) but you can see that options which involve a closer link with the EU are getting distinctly less support - at present I can’t see them getting enough traction for one to emerge the ultimate winner.

I guess the next step is May trying for MV3, if Bercow will let her.

Edit: Oh, FWIW I think the Labour “plan” should be killed because it contains stuff which is undeliverable (UK say in future EU trade deals) and “close alignment with the single market” is (and always has been) too meaningless a phrase to know exactly what they want - but it sounds like it might involve taking a lot of the rules and regulations without gaining the benefit of remaining in the SM.

Also Brexit geeks might like to consider “Article 127” and what the impact of us not having revoked that will be (at least I can find no evidence that we did revoke/trigger it, as we should have done 12 months ago).

Edit2: It’s pretty clear looking at some of the comments reported by the BBC that MPs don’t understand the process either.