Brrr! Anyone else put their heating on this morning?

Decidedly chilly this morning for the first time this autumn. We had the heating on for a couple of hours to get the flat nice and toasty for my poorly hubby.

Anyone else feeling the chill? :snowflake::gloves::scarf::socks:

2 Likes

I pulled a tatty top over my feeble frame this morning before tottering forth to tend my flock (that’s enough alliterative froth for today, Pete, surely? :confused:).

Certainly a bit of a sharp edge first thing, Mandy, but as the sun climbed it warmed me up. And I am a cold-blooded creature, and have been known to wear shorts in January. :cloud_with_snow::snowflake:

2 Likes

My Dad was an enthusiastic wearer of shorts. He wore trousers to work and when he was in polite company, other than that he wore shorts.

1 Like

Flappy shorts generally better for the legs Mandy, and distinctly better for the propagation of the species, keeps 'em cool. :scream:

Same goes for socks and healthy feet, but I’ m less sure of the possible effect on population :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi Mandy
Yes I have had to put the heating on the last few days ( a couple of hours morning and evening) for mum who suffers terribly during cold weather.
I will have to start serving her some of my ‘standby’ ginger liquer 40% proof :wink:

5 Likes

That should do the trick Ann. :tropical_drink:

And if it doesn’t warm her up then she probably won’t notice after a couple of those :smiley::dizzy_face:

Hubby hates the cold so we always keep the flat warm and that helps to ward off chest infections.

I’m seriously considering the winter duvet in the next few days.

2 Likes

I can well understand that Mandy, for someone who is poorly or fragile then to feel warm is essential.
Mind you I shall be wandering around in a T shirt while mum starts layering on clothes including her thermal vest :hugs:

3 Likes

Mr. H. is a chilly mortal so the heating is on this evening, first time for ages. Whereas I am sitting here in Tshirt and shorts and feeling decidedly warm. He’s had his electric blanket on for about three weeks now (whereas I’m on the other side of the bed sweating with nigh-on nuclear heat radiating from me). One of us has clearly got a faulty thermostat … but which one?

3 Likes

This morning was the first when my PJ’s didn’t cut it and I needed a dressing gown too when going outside to chuck hay at ponies.

(Summmer outfit is bikini and wellies - spring and autum is PJ’s and wellies and come the winter - it’s anything I can lay my hands on plus wellies!)

4 Likes

It’s been so hot for so long that it’s a big shock when the temperature suddenly plummets. Can’t light the fire till I see smoke coming from a neighbours chimney first though. Jumpers on and red wine(in moderation) should help.

3 Likes

We’re still staying up around the 20s in the daytime…still got sunshine so making the most of it…I’m usually out with the Collies before sunrise this time of year…I have a well worn…probably ready for a bin bag oversized cardi that I grab most mornings to go outside first thing and so far I’ve not had to add any more layers…

I’ve started stockpiling the paraffin though ready for winter and have my heaters filled up and ready to go…

I sailed through the menopause without a glitch about 3 years ago but about every 3-6 months I go through a time of radiating enough heat to power my whole house…!

I’m hoping my latest heat radiation will get me through to December…x :smile:

2 Likes

Lol…my wellies are everyday essentials too…I have a posh pink flowery pair for going in the front garden and an everyday green pair (big enough to get 3 pairs of socks on in winter) for venturing into my wilderness…x :smile:

3 Likes

I can heartily recommend an algerian djellaba…heavy camel wool that you can throw over any type of nightwear and keeps you decent, warm and toasty in all weathers. Looks great with wellies too, fit for Paris fashion week no problem.

5 Likes

Me too Sandy . Wonky immune system has totally obliterated my thyroid taking my thermostat along with it. I despair when I hear myself repeating “is it me or is it not/cold in here”. I’ve gone from chilly enough for a hoody to so hot I’m back to a T shirt this evening in the space of a few hours. That said it has been a tad breezy around here today & the day has had a distinctly autumnal feel compared to the recent balmy days. Even looked at gaz heaters in Brico today . We are “all electric” & in the words of the Boy Scout movement it wouldn’t go amiss to “be prepared” in the event of Power cuts later in the year.

4 Likes

My heating is also run by electric, I didn’t go for gas as humping the bottle upstairs is beyond me. I di have a petrol heater a few years ago that I gave to my ex when he needed one.
I have been looking for a replacement before Winter sets in, I saw one the other day for 89 euros and wasn’t too sure. Now I could kick myself as the same model ‘locally’ is 20 euros more! :rage:

1 Like

I have put a jersey on for the first time for ages and shall put an extra cat on my bed tonight :relaxed:

6 Likes

It is a decidely difficult season.
Change of clothes for the middle of the day.
Colder definitely today, but not enough to test the heating.

3 Likes

Lit the fire for a couple of hours this evening, definitely a bit chillies, even changed out of my shorts tonight :fearful:

3 Likes

A colleague of mine. A lady of a certain age went to Krakow a couple of years ago before Christmas and walked around in a tee shirt in -5 degrees.

3 Likes

First frost this morning, -1 outside, slightly warmer inside :snowflake::fearful:

3 Likes