Butter (Lurpak?)

I rarely eat butter, but my OH does, and she’s, dare I say it “fussy” in that she only eats Lurpak. Normally thats fine but her frozen stock is now very nearly depleted.

To save me a lot of grief, does anyone know if you can get Lurpak in France- ive certainly never seen it, or is there a close equivalent?
TIA, Mark

Thanks @SuePJ , but have you seen the prices :scream:?

We prefer Président
Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 13.09.28
(here in Shrewsbury). It gets a two star good taste sticker too.

I would suggest you buy some of the different French butters and try a blind testing including Lurpak.

6 Likes

Often been very surprised in blind taste tests, oftem switching to another brand on lots of products. I always check the label to see what if any industrial crap may have been added. Did some baking a while back with butter and noticed more liquid in the butter I was using than usual so switched brands

2 Likes

I used to get Lurpak at Auchan. But it did not taste the same as in UK.

Recent discovery is Leduc from PlaceduMarche.fr salted and doux). Don’t sign up to their newsletter before they send you a nice discount coupon just create an account and a nice voucher will shortly appear for signing up. Even then hold off till you’ve used that first one. Until then don’t click anything that signs you up to their newsletter. A load of Leduc (salted and unsalted) has just gone into my freezer.

Surgères (available doux and harder to find demi-sel) may be similar-ish.

Le Gall is my current favourite and must be other people’s too given it seems to be the most expensive in a few supermarkets.

Or turn up on Sunday at a market if there’s anyone selling “beurre à la coupe”. Fontainebleau used to have an amazing stall with butters they carved off a big slab for you and own-made cheeses. IIRC they came to sell there from much further South.

I know it can be hard as people have their own tastes and some become fixed but aren’t you missing out being in France and not continually trying foods to find the best?

1 Like

If any industrial crap is added it can’t just be called butter here, but must have a rider “Beurre salé, beurre aromatisée, beurre with added chemicals” etc.

Lurpak is made with fresh cream/milk so you would need to blind test the “extrafin” butters. Standard butter is made with frozen cream/milk.

I think a blind test sounds like a great idea. I love butter so would happily eat through a table full of samples.

5 Likes

So do I. Have discovered sheep’s butter at our bio shop - wonderful. I kid myself it’s better for me that cow’s. :grin:

1 Like

Kid yourself, I see what you did there. :joy:

FATS: Sheep milk contain double the amount of butterfat in comparison to goat’s and cow’s milk . … The smaller fat globules are more easily digested and are less likely to cause high cholesterol.

From google.

Not forgetting that fat is not cholesterol. Your body makes cholesterol, its in every cell in your body. The brain makes its own cholesterol so as not to have it adulterated by anything moving around the rest of the body, clever isnt it.

2 Likes

Couldn’t give a monkeys when it comes to butter, President for me, it’s the taste that matters.

We normally buy the Noirmoutier butter with salt crystals from Lidl in brown wrapper - delicious on fresh bread.

(absolutely nothing like Lurpac but very good indeed)

Just try making butter from Monkey milk!

2 Likes

Banana milk :wink::yum:

1 Like

Anyone else got the Douglas butterdish ??
You can hide any brand inside (if you can’t get Lurpak itself) :rofl: :+1:

4 Likes

Yep :+1:

1 Like

Dangerous stuff, butter!

Was persuaded to reduce my consumption of our fromager’s wonderful beurre d’Isigny, which he cuts from a drum about half the size of an oil barrel. Only used to have it on toast in the morning, but after a few months of relative privation and no other changes of diet, I’ve shed an inch from my waistline.

Grew up on Lurpak, but when I discovered French butter about thirty years ago, I couldn’t go back - the Danish butter suddenly seemed to taste closer to lard.

Dangerous stuff, toast! Went on a ketogenic diet removing bread made with wheat etc together with most carbohydrates but added butter to coffee and cooking with it along with coconut oil also in coffee (bulletproof coffee) lost 5 inches off waist measurement. Visceral fat minimal and 11.2% bodyfat so its not the butter!

1 Like

Everyone is an individual, everyone is different, my FIL is built like a whippet and eats what he wants when he wants.
He has smoked like a lum since he was 14, has a very sweet tooth (6 sugars in his tea and coffee with honey and coronation milk) and is 87 years young and fit, his mother was the same and lived to 95.
My wife was always a health freak, dieted and walked everywhere, no salt, butter etc, but never having any illness had two strokes and died at 51.

Very interesting…

Above I posted ‘no other changes of diet’ but was thinking of fatty stuff, whereas in fact at the same time as cutting butter, I did totally cut out our local artisan boulanger’s wonderful wild yeast pain au levain because after daily consumption of it for several years, I felt it was giving me excess stomach acidity - switched to another artis boulanger’s cornbread and my stomach’s been fine for several months. So maybe it was the bread, though OH won’t believe that - she’s his champion and has been exactly the same weight for forty years or so…

Fortunately only drink black coffee, so thankfully no need for butter there (sounds worse tasting than milk) isn’t that what Tibetans do with tea?