Bye Bye Captain Sir Tom

I think they should name a hospital after him, after all he raised enough to build one.

5 Likes

Now that’s a sensible idea!

1 Like

Call me Captain, Sir Sensible :wink:

What does slightly concern me amongst all this adulation for Sir Tom is that there are thousands of other elderly people who do their bit and raise money.

Local papers are usually full of stories of old people doing very selfless things to raise £500, £1000 or more for a good cause. Sir Tom is not alone in doing that. But his story was picked up by the media, and snowballed.

I’m not denying his effort - but there are many, many others who would be equally deserving had the media landed on their effort.

1 Like

Yes, seconded (or is that thirded?).

Fair comment…

However, the media DID home in on him… and raised everyone’s awareness of him and his efforts… (despite his modesty)…

Everyone who does something for others… deserves praise/thanks/whatever…

Sir Tom’s efforts became “News” and were followed by the Public over a period … hence the Public reaction to his death is only natural in my view.

3 Likes

Two years after his passing his daughter and her husband are doing their very best to tarnish his name.

This follows on from earlier concerns about the foundation.

If only they had a tiny amount of his dignity and decency.

2 Likes

There’s been talk of this for some time on SoMe. Rumour has it that they saw little of him until they realised the money that was involved

Yes, I read that too! Looks like living off a good name and charity setup to help others and reaping benefits for personal gains, if true it’s despicable!

1 Like

Having worked for a couple of charities I am incredibly careful where I give any money too and request their balance sheet details before handing over any of my money.

2 Likes

As they say power corrupts and absolute power - or large amounts of money - corrupts absolutely.

As a generalisation, perhaps. Nobody knows about this. Seems like people are getting on some kind of band wagon? I don’t know

From what I’ve seen, the key skill of any charity boss nowadays is raising money, and that’s where all the attention is focussd. It leads to charity bosses being paid surprisingly large salaries.

I looked at volunteering for an animal charity recently. All the posts were for either fundraising or publicity on social media.

2 Likes