Bye bye EU

I got some seeds with my copy of Kitchen Garden…but it was posted in Dec so I suppose I won’t get any in January,.
It was nice to get them as the local selection in our Pointe Verte is limited and expensive, and France lacks the online seed vendors like UK where there are many. Any ideas or alternative French suppliers.?

We use a french company that does quite a bit of bio and high quality stuff, but some things aren’t cheap

https://www.fermedesaintemarthe.com/

And lesgrainesdefrance.com which is actually a dutch company with a reasonable ra ge of cheap and cheerful stuff.

Well, it’s the end of the 1st week, not a week really as the 1st was a bank holiday and then we had the week end. We find that:

The UK fishing industry, especially those Cornish ships who mainly catch shellfish is in crisis. Scottish fishermen have been told to reduce their catch because of processing delays

EU hauliers don’'t want the hassle of coming to the UK

EU ports are turning goods back because the paperwork isn’t correct

Massive amounts of share trading have fled the square mile

UK food hubs (apparently we were a major route of foods from outside the EU, I didn’t know that) will be unworkable.

Ditto chemicals

Ditto clothes

Ditto just about everything

People ordering stuff from the EU (or from the UK to the EU for that matter) are suddenly finding the couriers charge a hell of a lot for “processing” import duties and VAT.

Have I missed anything (probably).

1 Like

such a sad song.

In The Guardian this morning:

Farmers in the UK’s devolved administrations are facing substantial cuts to their income as a result of Brexit…

Fergus Ewing, Scotland’s cabinet secretary for the rural economy said that Scottish farmers would lose out to the tune of £170m between now and 2025, compared with the subsidies they could have expected under the EU’s common agricultural policy,. “Major cuts have been imposed on all the devolved administrations without consultation,” he said. “This is not what farmers and crofters in Scotland were promised if they were to vote for Brexit… I think the Treasury is intent on removing payments for farmers under the guise of having environmental payments,” he said.

… and lots more now:

Can I echo @Wozza 's recommendation for Kokopelli? They are somewhat like the Henry Doubleday Association was but rather further off the wall. However, they have a great range of seeds that are difficult to source elsewhere (lots of kale for example ) and they delivered my order very promptly.

They also supply seeds for medical-type plants, which certainly can’t be found elsewhere and a lot aren’t available in the UK either. Very well worth a look…

I have also used https://www.graines-baumaux.fr/ and they have quite a good range too. The main problem with it is the post and packing cost, but then Kokopelli has quite high postage too. I got the seeds at reduced cost by becoming a member of Kokopelli.

Slightly east of you in Herault, it’s “vang, bang, pang” and all those silent e’s at the end of words get full value - quinzUh, onzUH, etc

Snow coming your way apparently

Wish it would come here!

Why do you want snow ?

Because I love it! And also because I have kids who are desperate to see it! I promised snow as part of my pro move to France campaign and I’ve not been able to deliver in 5 years now :rofl: :rofl: Despite rushing to Decathalon and forking out about €35 on sldges (now still brand new!) a few years back when it was promised!

2 Likes

Useful information on money and health for those living in and moving to EU countries.

Looks like it. We had an icing-sugar scattering this morning, but tomorrow it looks more like sleet.:slightly_frowning_face:

Should be ok here, had about one cm last week

Well, that didn’t take long…

Ministers must restart trade negotiations with Brussels immediately to sort out the “baffling” array of post-Brexit rules and regulations that now threaten much of the UK’s export trade to the EU, leading business groups have said.

4 Likes

On Marr Starmer said that there is now no argument for renegotiating the EU trade treaty, we are stuck with it and a Labour gov will have to make it work.
And went back on his January 2020 commitment to try and re negotiate FOM…so its all down to Lib Dems…so no chance of major changes I fear!