Bye bye EU

Whatever is the problem?

Thanks to those who provided information about seed providers, two of which I have bought from.
Unfortunately most voters on 23.06.16 didnā€™t know about all of this and more, but then they werenā€™t bothered, couldnā€™t understand it or believed the Vote Leave lies! Reading some of this confirms my belief that only big organisations will bother to send stuff to EU and smaller suppliers of many things which could be bought on line will dry upā€¦and yes I do buy online from French suppliersā€¦and use local French workers, kitchen makeover, heating system repaired and more
What I will miss is having a choice of supplier and just the feeling that UK and EU have to check every move the other makesā€¦but Brexiteers love thatā€¦urgh. :frowning: :frowning:

Soā€¦ the ham sandwich wars have startedā€¦

Canā€™t help anticipating the UK tabloid headlinesā€¦
BRITISH DRIVERS MEAT DUTCH POLICE
HANDS OFF OUR BUTTIES!
BRAVE BRITS CAUGHT IN DUTCH SANDWICH MOVEMENT

1 Like

But, they knew what they were voting for so all is OK.

Good to see border control concentrating on the important stuff, lets see them do this for every vehicle from now on. :grinning:

It was quite possibly EU pork anyway, as a lot of ham in the UK comes/ came from Denmark and Germany. He should have left the ham in the packet!

1 Like

Brexit - Tax Representative on French Property Sales
https://www.french-property.com/news/tax_france/tax_fiscal_representative_capital_gains/

My goodness - thatā€™s a Brexit dividend (?!) Iā€™d never even thought might happenā€¦

Hard to understand what all the fuss is about. Project Fear!

1 Like

and if you are getting stressed about changes in the requirements for living in France post Brexit - think about the expats in Spainā€¦

Makes France look a good place to be.

1 Like

But itā€™s not 60 days, itā€™s 60 in 180. So just 3 months in and 3 months out. They can still spend half the year in Spain - or presumably some sort of longer tourist visa?

ā€œThey are taking the elderly and people who havenā€™t had jobs for a while, because of the Covid situation, back to the UK, and then theyā€™re bringing back younger generations with disposable income,ā€¦ā€
ā€œWe have traditionally been a community here of expats who are on average 50-plus. Last year it changed, and the average age was 45. If you come over in 12 months, itā€™ll be more like an average age of 35ā€¦ I think a lot of people will go backā€¦ They will be replaced by a younger set of people who can afford to be here.ā€

My emphasis on what I think is one of the saddest results of brexit - not that immigrants to the EU will now be younger, but that they will be only those ā€˜with disposable incomeā€™, ā€˜who can afford itā€™.
Brexit has robbed the opportunity for less well-off people or hard-pressed families to have a go at a better life abroad.

I wonder how many Brits living in Spain or having a holiday home voted for Brexit. I have a feeling it was a majority but I could be wrong.

Donā€™t you think that is a sweeping statement based on nothing?

No idea how you get to that conclusion ? I would have guessed the complete opposite was true.

1 Like

My view is partly the result of watching tv programmes and reading articles around the time of the referendum in which many people interviewed expressed a eurosceptic viewpoint. I was surprised by this as they appeared to taking quite a gamble.
Of course the focus may have been more on those expressing a eurosceptic position.
Iā€™ve seen quite a lot of Spain but Iā€™ve always avoided areas where there are large British ex-pat or immigrant communities. I know that in some communities, people fail to learn Spanish as most of their everyday transactions are with fellow English speakers, and that problems arise if they need to seek hospital treatment. I wonder if better integration is likely to result in more love for the EU. I have read about people in such communities criticising immigrants to the UK for not trying to integrate.

1 Like

Often in sterling for the famed gut busting all day breakfast :face_vomiting:

1 Like

@MichaelL

I think that as with so many things it is the noisy exceptions which are noticeable - I am fairly sure the vast majority of foreigners from wherever including the UK just get on with learning the language, fitting in, doing their job and are happy to make friends etc.

I suppose that if they donā€™t do any of those things or donā€™t want to then they may well be disgruntled because they might feel bored or isolated or homesick and they might not build any cultural references in common with locals so itā€™s difficult to chat or make/get jokes etc and obviously that wonā€™t give a necessarily positive impression of the people around them either.

So they could get cabin fever or take to drink or a fantasy life. And if thatā€™s the case locals may actually think they are a bit of an idiot and the person in question may pick up on that which feeds the disgruntledness and paranoia.

Or they could genuinely be like those awful caricature bald English men in wifebeaters/frumpy women in too tight clothes etc one sees shouting in English on television, but surely there arenā€™t really so very many of them? Round here it tends to be people who suddenly become terrifically smart when they cross the channel, quite extraordinary. Fantasy life.

3 Likes

AHA! Thatā€™s where Iā€™ve been going wrong thenā€¦

I think you are right for many Northern UK Spanish holiday home owners