Can my friend find a mortgage in France

A friend of mine based on the edge of London declared that he wishes to relocated to France and possibly to my region as he can learn about life in France from me and I am willing to help.

He is a superb chef who trained in a well known establishment learning about French cuisine. Not so long ago he had 4 restaurants and along came a personal problem and covit which got in the way,
He would need a mortgage to purchase a restaurant.
What sort of percentage does a bank offer.
Our region is crying out for a good chef

Might be difficult to get a mortgage without credit history in France.
He could try a mortgage broker instead of approaching the banks directly.
Current TEG rates are probably 1%-2% ?

Hi Barbara… from what you say, he might not have much collateral, making a mortgage (possibly) difficult to obtain.

However, you could chat with your local Bank… ask their advice … why not? You don’t have to go into (private) details, just a general enquiry.
and they might well know a suitable financial source… just a thought.

Thanks Stella.

He will have at least 50 percent as a deposit.

And maybe more.

Yes a good idea to chat to my bank.

Thank you.

1 Like

We used IPF in 2015 to get a French mortgage for what was then a holiday home (now our permanent home). We had the mortgage offer from BNP Paribas in ten days

https://www.internationalprivatefinance.com

Thank you

A 50% deposit is good but what about the income to service the mortgage payments?

Well Tim I expect that all his eggs are not in one basket.

I would take him time to take care of the renervations and then off he goes

Je hates UK now so maybe he will be better off here.

He can come over and see what life is like here.

Credit Agricole Britline is used to dealing with people with little credit history in the country.

1 Like

Maybe his plan is the best one but he seems to be wanting to plunge in really deep if he is just looking to get to know life here. Post Brexit is it hard to be taken on as a chef here? Would it not be better to work at an existing place for a while?

Not sure if I agree

Not around here

We have busy restaurants and a lack of good chefs.

He is of Michelin one star standard

Must say, I’m thinking along the same lines as @almondbiscuit .
For anyone to start up a business in a country they do not know… it is a huge gamble, both financially and personally.

Strikes me he would be snapped up by any busy restaurant which has a lack of good chefs. That would give him a chance to find out if France is really where he wants to be…
a sort of breathing-space.

I note you talk of renovations… they often cost a lot more than one might have budgeted for (as many of us have discovered). Your friend might find himself in a financial predicament, which could end up in disaster. Getting a job, taking time to experience France… before leaping into debts which must be repaid… might be the best route.

1 Like

If he’s a michelin 1* chef, then can’t just take any job! Needs something that enhances his career.

OP says he is of one star standard so an opinion not fact!

1 Like

He has had his own restaurants for more than 20 years and I can tell you that

It would be very hard to just take a job.

Owning a restaurant is something else.

No matter how hard life gets for you it is almost impossible to do

Something else.

Our new place would make a great restaurant and if we were younger that

Is what we would do.

A great restaurant is about many things and all these ingredients have to blend

Together to make magic.

Very few chefs have that gift,

You should read the thread 'In a pickle can’t find work.
Mortgages have to be repaid and when based on forcast income rather than salary it can all go wrong from outside infuences no matter how hard you try.
You say your friend has a failed business of 4 restaurants in UK? Not the best history to present to potential mortgage lender in a foreign country.
I have no doubt that your friend has magical culinary skills but sometimes aspirations are unattainable.

2 Likes

Well without a doubt he is an excellent chef and having been

In the restaurant world in London for many years I understand

How good he is…

I could write a book about great chefs of my time and the names would

Include some very familiar to you.

Actually I did not say he had failed restaurants.

I never said that at all.

Something happened in his life which changed most things for him/

Johnboy I suggest that you have never run a restaurant and also that you

Are not sure of what is unattainable and who and why certain people can achieve.

Yes I have read In a Pickle and can not find work

We are all different and some of us know how to get out of a pickle jar with

Grace.

Other than the odd tv chef l very much doubt that, not my scene.
Whist i understand your friend is a chef his plans to set up in France are no different to any other trade/profession and even if he was able to get a 50% mortgage it still has to be repaid.
Perhaps he has watched too many tv episodes of life in the sun and if he hasn’t then he should to realise that many big ideas end in failure.

1 Like