Can someone help to identify this?

I’ve now discovered a couple of these rather unsavoury looking piles of something on my driveway, and have absolutely no idea what they are and what has caused them.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Some sort of Martin probably

1 Like

Can’t quite tell from photo whether droppings or more glutinous. If the later then it’s moon snot or moon spit - a bacteria that often develops in poorly drained driveways. Harmless, if unsightly. Proper name is nostoc commune

Oh dear, but thanks for that - think you’ve hit the nail on the head :+1:

Time for another inspection around the roofs to make sure no entry points, as last time they created one hell of a mess when it/they got in!

1 Like

Not sure of the scale here, but it could be badger. But I believe badgers usually dig a hole for a latrine. I did once find a similar unsavoury pile in a hole on the perimeter of the garden. Otherwise perhaps a martre or a fouine…

If I look at @Wozza photo based on grapes, it looks like almost a perfect match…unfortunately :sleepy: I have some grapes growing in the garden, so guess I will be missing some if I look.

Agreed, it looks very similar to the piles of beech marten poo I find around our garden and wood.
I also know that we have raccoon poo thanks to the fairly large piles of cherry stones their stomachs can’t digest after having raided the wild cherry trees this summer.

I’m so glad it’s not just me… must make sure to tell my daughter that other folk are fascinated by poo… too… :rofl: :roll_eyes:

I used to wander round our UK patch, marvelling at the different animals, birds, whatever… which left their calling-cards. Daughter thought I was crazy… :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Here’s a few more types of animal excrement

1 Like

:joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Haha, this place never ceases to amaze (and amuse!) me :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve just gone downstairs to see if I can find my difinitive “poo” book, but it’s not on the shelf… lots of other nature books with such information of course, just not so concise as that particular pocket-sized one… which really is the crême de la crême de poo…

2 Likes

Sounds like a very shitty cocktail :face_vomiting:

Martens etc leave spraints I believe, some other creature leaves fewmets, amazing to think in the past there was precise nomenclature for droppings. Actually droppings is just a euphemism isn’t it…

1 Like

… Timothy!! :wink:

1 Like

9350d5d6294851a10ded790206a4234a

1 Like

“it’s moon snot or moon spit - a bacteria”

Oi, I don’t play football!!! :joy: :smiling_face: :crazy_face:

(BTW my surname is Moon)

Turd talk. That’s what we always called it. It’s been a popular talking subject for over 40 years between me and my older friends. Hours of fun :poop:

One of Rémy’s fave books is (well was at 7 going 8 a bit young) ‘Everybody Poos’. Written by a Japanese author, talks about all the different animal poos (illustrated) and human poo!

2 of our grandchildren live in Barcelona and a tradition there as Christmas approaches is to feed a piece of wood which is then hit with a stick until it poo’s a present!

Caga Tió: A Catalan Log That Poops Candy At Christmas : The Salt Catalan holiday tradition involves a log that’s fed scraps of food for several weeks leading up to Christmas. Then, it’s beaten with a stick and implored to poop out a Spanish nougat called turrón.