Can UK cancel Brexit and stay in EU?

I’m not perfect Peter but I’m neither a xenophobe or a racist, an arsehole maybe :grinning:

Not in my book, David you’re a Duke :grinning:

1 Like

Sorry Catharine but I’m lost now. Terms and Conditions ? Did I do something wrong ?

Could not the Irish people in general be left to sort these things out for themselves without the involvement of either Westminster or Brussels ?

Unfortunately Robert Westminster has to be involved at present as there is no functioning Northern Irish Assembly as they refuse to work with one another.

I read this article it was really interesting, for some it has completely destroyed their families, as they have discovered they were born out of affairs, or as a result of rape. Some of the accounts were heartbreaking.

I was wondering whether dangling the carrot of being much more involved and in control of the border issue might act as sufficient incentive to get them all to sit down at Stormont and be sensible about their own future.

1 Like

This is the Irish we are talking about.
They have put themselves in this situation before.
The tail is wagging the dog.

1 Like

Labour Party activists in the constituencies are resigning over Corbyn’s refusal to back a People’s Vote.
Perhaps their sudden resurgence backed by Momentum is losing ground and moderates are fighting back?
If this is the case, perhaps TM will go for another election?
She certainly is caught between a rock and a hard place.

TM won’t push for a GE as she has already said she will step down as leader before the next GE.

Just ordered my new gym t-shirt from Amazon.fr :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Aha… a typical TMism…
The next “scheduled” GE is May 2022.
Can you really believe a word that woman utters? If one were called in the meantime she will stand I am almost certain and that will bump the date on 5 years…

Fingers crossed you won’t be.

No words…(not strictly true but I’m trying!)

Just what the UK needs eh - more nuts or nutters? Glad to read they are all Brits though - good lad keep the jolly old flag flying!

Just when I didn’t think I could be any more ashamed of my country something like this come along.

If I had been given the choice, I would have voted to remain in the EU.
However I would be extremely saddened if a democratically-voted Brexit were overturned.
If that happened would the Leave camp ask for a ‘best out of three’?
Here’s my way of thinking :
You mean that people actually voted ‘remain’ without knowing what was to come?
That doesn’t seem logical.
Leavers surely just wanted to ‘leave’ without any deal.
The remain camp accuse the result of being caused by a lack of information.
The remain camp spent 3 years educating those they accused of being racists and idiots. That wasn’t constructive.
12.8 million people didn’t even bother to vote.
16.1 million voted to remain.
After such a long period of education and enlightenment, we could have expected the “Revoke Article 50” poll to swell the ranks of the remain camp. Instead it fell to 6.1 million. Quite an embarassment.

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum.

You will find a great deal within our Brexit threads…and everywhere else, which might explain what the thinking is behind the desire of some/many to revoke Article 50.

Are you taking this figure from the on-line Vote to demand a debate in Parliament??? because if so, the Government had already said they would take no notice of the demand for debate. In the event, Revoking Article 50 was NOT debated by Parliament (just as the Government had foretold) but there was a brief discussion in Committee… whose Members already knew the Demand for Debate in Parliament would go nowhere.

In my opinion, 6.1 million voting for a “lost cause” - shows great determination not to be bullied.

I’m sure you will have followed all this over the months… the whole sorry affair has been widely reported across the world. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::roll_eyes:

Why - 6.1 million supporting that petition is not an indication that “the Remain Camp” has fallen from the 16.1 million who voted in the referendum to just those who signed the petition.

It is a bit of a stretch, considering how the Leave campaign constantly told everyone it would be a breeze, we’d be better off and, of course, get a much better deal than the one we had as members of the EU to suggest that all, or even a majority, Leave voters voted for “no deal”.

This is simple retrospective rewriting of history

Finally “Paul Cézanne”, really?

1 Like

This is what leave voters thought they were voting for - it was absolutely clear in the leave campaign at the time:

So what is your real name?