Can UK cancel Brexit and stay in EU?

If it never happens then a big box of chocolates will come winging your way Mandy :wink::hugs:

1 Like

You are a true Brexit warrior! To actually do something instead of moaning about it like the rest of us is truly admirable.

Huge congratulations to you and your team.

Chapeau!!

4 Likes

Do you want to put me into a diabetic coma!!?? :laughing::laughing:

If it never happens it will be nothing to do with me and everything to do with the efforts of people like @anon65742194.

1 Like

Yes, just saw Grahame’s post, it crossed with my reply to you !

No, I don’t want you tumbling into any sort of coma, maybe I should change that to some low fat, soja substitutes! :rofl:

My partner is diabetic too, why is it all the things that are really delicious, like chocolates, cheese, of any sort, and so many other products can be bad for us ? :scream:

2 Likes

I’ve been researching the ketogenic diet for one of my daughters…(rare and intimate form of cancer)…seems all those “forbidden” foods are ok on a Ketogenic diet…???

The only reference I have is animals/pets on a ketogenic diet and as dogs and cats are carnivores/obligate carnivores anyway then I’m quietly trying to piece it all together…

I recognise your name as a moderator of a Brits against Brexit site of which I am a member.
We have contributed to several legal challenges and now we are seeing the fruits of persistence coming home .
It has been a terrible day for TM and her government.
I watched the debate in The House this afternoon and, whilst it did raise extremely important constitutional questions regarding the status of legal opinion to government, it seemed that the argument that TM had had sufficient time to respond and had chosen not to won out.
I do hope that the advice given to government regarding the legality of the Referendum itself will be included, as the motion was very tightly worded and could give TM wriggle room.
The motion that Parliament will have a greater say should TM lose the Withdrawal argument is also cheering.
We also have the opinion that the Advocate General of the ECJ that the UK can withdraw Article 50 without the consent of the other members of the EU.
TM has been hiding anything that she thinks derogatory to her case and she is now losing big time.
About time too.
Well done to all of you who have not taken no for an answer.

5 Likes

I think the odds are stacking up against Brexit nicely. I think it is likely a second referendum will take place and country will narrowly vote to remain and article 50 will be withdrawn. I think with the recent defeats in Parliament yesterday the PM’s Brexit deal is dead and and I don’t think Parliament will allow the country to crash out of Europe with a no deal Brexit as it would be too destructive on the economy and European relations. That’s how I personally see it panning out. Having a general election solves nothing as it takes a minimum of 6 weeks and we have Christmas Parliamentary recess in between that takes us to only weeks off the Brexit deadline. No new government could pass could pass legislation that quickly so I feel a article 50 withdrawal is the only option. But we will see!

Unfortunately I think a further referendum will only help if it is decisive - and the odds are that it will not be. Otherwise it will just deepen the existing wounds in the fabric of our politics and our society.

Similarly a general election is about the last thing we need - replacing one party which does not have a clue about Brexit with another who has even less and is two years behind the curve will be a disaster.

I see only two ways forward which might, in the long term, work out.

The first would be EFTA/EEA membership, not as a short term measure though - it is clear that the existing EFTA members do not want that. The issue there might be whether we need to enter into a customs union or not. I seem to recall some analysis that claimed we would not need to do so but I don’t remember the details.

The other would be no deal, that would be catastrophic in the short term, would probably disrupt the political process in the UK, maybe even lead to civil disruption but once we emerged from that (say 15-20 years) we might have a better relationship with ourselves and with the EU.

But (and it is an important but) to take this route via a referendum might well allow JRM and his cronies to escape blame which I would not want.

Needless to say I don’t actually wish for a no-deal exit, nor a baptism of hell and fire before hoping that British politics could somehow rise phoenix-like from the ashes - but at least there would be nowhere for those who peddled lies about how easy and wonderful Brexit would be to hide.

Or Brexit could turn out to be easy and wonderful in whic case fair enough and we can get on with life :slight_smile:

[not that I believe it will be]

It will be interesting to see whether or what the Attorney General’s advice on the actual legality of the Referendum will be.
I think that the government will hang on to the wording, ‘final’ to avoid publishing it.

We are in London this week and was talking to a good friend of ours last night who works for a Conservative MP in the House of Commons and he is convinced that after yesterday’s commotion the PM will pull it off next Tuesday with the vote, he normally calls these things right.

The Tory Chief Whip was confident that he would win yesterday.

The word is that some kind of help will come from Brussels before the vote.

Dominic Raab was on R4 this morning and as good as saying that, as it would require legislation to turn Brexit around, the government was prepared to simply ignore parliament and let us leave by the default no-deal route.

It seems May really is hell bent on pushing “My Deal, or No Deal” - stupid f*****g woman.

1 Like

In your dreams.
The 27 are totally united, it is ourselves who said we wanted to leave the club.

Mandy, I’m only a (slightly grizzled) front for a handful of people and several thousand backers who have kept this going for the last 2 plus years.

I’ll pas the message on.

2 Likes

Jane,

as I said to Mandy, I’m just a front for what The People’s Challenge has been and is doing.

I’ll pass on your thanks to the others.

1 Like

Its the only option that does not mean the immediate split of the Tory party (something that probably should have happened years ago!) No wonder she says nothing else.

It is also an option which “delivers” on immigration and she’s still sore that she failed to reduce it much when at the Home Office.

Raab’s and Leadsome’s comments this morning seem to suggest that the government plans to simply ignore parliament if it fails to get its way - it has already been found in contempt once, what next?

It would be quite an amusing show if it were not for the fact that I have to live with the consequences. As it is I’m appalled - naturally I’m a Tory voter although Ive wavered towards the LibDems for a while now. There’s no way this rabble is ever getting my vote again.

4 Likes

The Labour Party are against repealing the fifteen year voting rule.
TM has promised to repeal it before the next scheduled General Election, so if you want to continue to have a say, perhaps in legislation affecting pensions etc, you might have to think again.
Obviously, after all the Brexit hoo ha has died down and we are still in the EU.

Just where the bloody hell are they?