Can UK cancel Brexit and stay in EU?

Well as it reads like something from Alice in Wonderland maybe we would all be better taking a few magic mushrooms until it finally is all over ! :wink:

2 Likes

Why would there be surveillance between two parts of the British Isles? If that’s the sort of Big Brother state that the leave brigade are planning to have God help you. Although you don’t seem to understand the concept despite the pictures the only border that will be of any significance is the Irish border, the border between the EU and Britain, the Britain that you are so keen to remove from EU tax and regulations. Your willingness to have a great big hole in Britain’s national security is unbelievable after the things that you have written in the past. I’m not going to worry though, you might be happy for Tom, Dick and Ali to wander in and out of Britain but the EU will ensure that that never happens without sufficient safeguards.
What were those phrases? Cake and eat it? Cherry picking!

sentiment in the UK is hardening for a no deal brexit in my opinion. It seems that Ireland doesn’t intend to put in place a hard border looking at their info releases which cover such a scenario. Makes you wonder what all the fuss about a backstop was about given it was the main reason for the “agreement” not being passable through the UK parliament. It’s going to be really interesting watching this play out.

1 Like

I listened to Any Questions today and the only person there who seemed to have any time for a no deal Brexit was Rees Mogg. The rest of the panel and the audience thought that it was a nightmare situation.
Why do the people who you have asked think that it is anything other than the worst of all possible worlds? Mind you perhaps that’s what they want, after all rose tinted unicorns are so much nicer than having a good quality of life for your population.

You don’t get it do you.

I don’t also - I would be interested to know what IT is - from my point of view it looks a mess.

1 Like

Look at the yellow jackets, the people versus the political class. 5 weeks and they get fuel tax rises cancelled and an increase in the minimum wage. In the UK as a whole we have, in the referendum, direct democracy, It predates the yellow jackets.

If the BBC or some other panel show sticks 4 remainers and 1 brexiteer on the panel people see through it.

The emperor has no clothes and the people can see it.

Because that is the way that you catch criminals. The police and security services use covert surveillance all the time. Look up a bit in any reasonably sized town or city center and what you will see are surveillance cameras. Drive on the motorway and you will be passing number plate recognition cameras. Carry a mobile phone and the signal it gives off can pinpoint your location to within a few metres. Drive onto a cross channel ferry and you will be on video. Use a cashpoint and it takes your picture. It’s the way of the modern world David. No-one is planning to have a ‘Big Brother’ surveillance state as you call it, because it already exists, and it’s here to stay.

Perhaps some of the people, but not all the people - the country is still very split. Recent polls suggest Remain is slightly more popular than Leave.

William Hill bookmakers have recently made another referendum as the the most likely outcome - I consider what a bookmaker says as fairly credible as they are by declaring a Favourite “putting their money where their mouth is” and establishing a favourite by considering many more aspect of the Brexit discussions than most of us would. If they get this type of decision wrong they inevitably loose a great deal of money… But there again we all look to be heading towards that outcome of losing a lot of money via lower house prices and poor exchange rates etc.

We have approximately 100 days to scrap this absolute nonsense - address the issues that people voted Leave for - as has been proven many time leaving EU will not address their concerns.

3 Likes

I thought remainers wanted strict customs control. I didn’t know that they were happy to pay for thousands of extra undercover staff to spy on people who were entering the back door conveniently left open. How do they identify the undesirables? By their darker skin and strange accents perhaps?

I sertainly cant see what your brain shows you. I’m glad I haven’t got that.

Forgive me if I’ve missed something here, but I don’t think that the issue of customs control has ever really been particularly predominant in the great Brexit debate.

How do you define ‘Taking control of our borders’ then? Insisting that you demand sovereignty but not worrying about customs control and borders seems odd beyond belief.

3 Likes

I’d always presumed that these news headlines were something to do with customs control. Silly me.

I think you are confusing Customs and Excise matters with the subject of Immigration and Passport Control, which really are two separate issues.
Anyway, the central plank of being in control of something is not what is actually done, but rather of having the ability to do something if it is so desired. Sovereignty is about having authority rather than just about using it.

I’m not confusing anything. There are controls at the borders for both things and your Brexit Britain will not be able to function without those controls. There is no way that there will be an open border between Britain and the EU unless Britain stays part of the very things that Brexiteer are so against.
Have you ever considered writing fiction?

Are you living in another world?
It might not have been in the minds of Brexiteers as such, but controlling immigration very definitely was.
Customs and excise work together with Border Force to control both the flow of goods and people.

3 Likes

Well, one is to do with the movement of goods and the other is to do with the movement of people. What they have in common is that they will both have to be controlled, because the UK has made freedom of movement one of its red lines. To control each of them, some kind of border is necessary. The UK wants to use technology to create a borderless border, but the problem is that the technology does not yet exist.

True, but without a physical border, and in the absence of a technological solution, what ability would the UK and the EU have to control entry to their jurisdiction? Please tell us, because TM and Verhofstadt and their advisors have spent many months trying to find the answer to exactly this problem. They haven’t found one, hence the problem is still there.

It’s a very special set of circumstances that is of the UK’s making. The history of the island of Ireland is a result of gross British misrule, and up to the GFA the UK was unable to find a solution to the problem it had created. Membership of the EU provided a solution because whilst it didn’t unite Ireland, it did bring both parts together within a union and thus removed the need for a border. Take them out of the union and the solution is gone, and you are straight back to where you were prior to the GFA - need a border but won’t accept a border.
Taking it for granted that the entire world has to bend over backwards and make an exception to basic trade rules because the UK can’t sort out its own mess, is maybe a little unrealistic?

2 Likes

Crazy thing is that using a uniquely numbered plastic seal on the door latch mechanism on the back of the truck would so easily make such scenes as this completely pointless.

I agree with you entirely on that point.

1 Like