Cancelling heures creuse tarif

I wonder if anyone here has ever cancelled the heures creuse tarif and reverted to the basic?

I am interested because shortly we are having aerotherme installed and this would mean that the majority of the time it would be working on ‘full price’ electricity and we have very little operating overnight as it is.
My query is, would they need to gain access to the actual meter (it’s not a linky) or where do they disconnect it please? I don’t wish to change to a linky.

Yes, they sent out an engineer and €30 later it was changed. Now on a linky it can apparently be changed remotely

With the rising price of power why on earth would you not want to save a few euros?

1 Like

Non-Linky requires access to the meter. However, get the meter swapped to a Linky & any future changes will be possible remotely, & all bills can be accurate. You can also follow your consumption, maximum demand etc. via the app.
At some point in the future those who have avoided getting a Linky will start to be charged for meter readings to be made.

1 Like

You may find that next time any kind of intervention is required, the technician will automatically change it to a Linky if it has not yet been done. It seems to be the policy that the old meters are no longer supported.

1 Like

Unless you use a substantial amount during the off peak hours it’s not viable.

Hmm, sorry @Badger, my friends house locally burnt down after the installation of a linky (yes, she saw the first flames so no doubt of the origin). I’d prefer to pay for a reading than have one of these in my home.

1 Like

@ Gillm
Fairly likely a very poorly done installation, it must happen.
Whilst I sympathise with your friend Linky is a decent piece of kit.
We’ve had our Linky for over 5 years and it has only brought us benefits.

2 Likes

There have been other examples of this too. However, the faults were NOT the Linky itself but poor installation - underpaid lightly trained drones on too tight a schedule not tightening up connections properly. Such events could have easily happened with any other type of meter.
ENEDIS have now taken Linky swaps back in-house as the big sub-contracts have mainly been terminated as most of the deployment is done.

1 Like

Out house very nearly burnt down due to our meter starting to burn…it was NOT a Linky. Just before Linkys came in.

A lot of people have decided to put up a fight against Linky and when the French get an idea in their head to fight for something, they are good at rounding up as many people as possible to join the cause. Several people I know tried to persuade me not to install Linky, but I did it anyway and can’t really see any harm done, except putting the meter reading man out of work.
Yes, unless you use a lot of electricity at night, having “heures creuses” isn’t going to save you much.

That is when our water heater comes on and we set our washing machine to run, so yes, there can be benefits to heures creuses

1 Like

For sure, it’s better to have heures creuses, but it isn’t that big a saving except for using
electric heaters at night.

A clever person on a different forum calculated you need to use 45% or more of your electricity at night to make a saving on the increased price during the day.

3 Likes

Same as us.
In our case the savings by using HC are fairly small, but better in our pockets than the utility company.

1 Like

If you’re currently on HC/HP, it’s actually a fairly simple calculation to work out if you’re better off switching to the standard tariff. Get your last year’s worth of bills and add up total kWh in each of “Heures Plein” and “Heures Creuses”. As long as you also know your puissance souscrite (which should be on your bill somewhere), you can then work out the cost per year of the electricity (excluding standing charges) on each of the two billing systems as in the example below.

• Eg, One year we had 4564 kWh on heures pleines and 2605 kWh on heures creuses, total 4564 + 2605 = 7169.

• The EDF rates per kWh for HP and HC for our puissance souscrite (12kVA) are 0,1821€ and 0,1360€ respectively. So the HP/HC tariff would cost (4564 × 0,1821) + (2650 × 0,1360) = 831,10 + 354,28 = 1185,38 €

• The EDF base rate per kWh for our puissance souscrite is 0,1605€. So, the base rate tariff would cost 7169 × 0,1605 = 1150,62€.

• So for us, we would have been better off on the base rate tariff that year.

I did this calculation on all our bills for the first couple of years that we were here, and, despite having as many things as possible on timers running at night (washing machine, water heater, etc), it turned out we would always have been better off on the base rate tariff.

4 Likes

Also it is much safer if you are around when large domestic appliances are running.

2 Likes

Absolutely!
The old statistic from the UK fire brigade as best I can remember is 19000 fires caused by tumble dryers/washer dryers.
Edit:

1 Like

I was skeptical but it seems you are right. We would also have made a small saving…about €40…and I’m really quite mean.

We have stuck with the standard tariff as it is cheaper for us.

I have also put a digital timer on the hot water which only need to run for about an hour a day to keep piping hot.

Also been very careful with electric radiators having the times & temps set correctly.

2 Likes