Carte de Sejour - documents required for application

There seems no reason why not having a CdS should impact on you getting work, other than you were applying for jobs for which you were not qualified.
The fact that it cost money to produce a CdS should not have been a limiting factor. If the Government said that you were entitled to one that should have been it.
I can’t see any of us winning any wars for a long time to come!

It may be something akin the situation in SP where the offices [police stations :confounded:] taking appointments for residency applications simply closed down for Brits because ‘the system’, post the Brexit vote was, as far as they were concerned, a dog’s breakfast. They turned Brits away “until we get clarification from Madrid”.

Now it’s over to the central online system in October and all will be :smile:

Absolutely, but they only started refusing to issue to issue them when it became obvious that they were going to be replaced anyway. I honestly don’t see the issue, we don’t need one at the moment and when we do, one will be issued?

2 Likes

The application process is centralised, ie the electronic deposit of documents, but the applications are then passed to the individual préfectures.

(And I didn’t say one would be a fool, just that it carries a bigger risk)

Storms, teacups… and I drink coffee all day anyway :rofl:

1 Like

No you didn’t. That was someone else …

And, pure speculation until someone comes up with the facts - the paperwork that arrives from the central office to a prefecture … will that still have elements to be resolved by the prefecture or is the central office going to hand down applications with ‘Issue CdS. Inform applicant to come and collect’ ?

I s’pose a steer on that would be the submissions required for an application. If as per the previous procedure, done thru’ a prefecture, the prefecture may simply become the issuing office.

I’m glad that we already have ours, I really couldn’t face all that bureaucracy again at the moment.

1 Like

It is entirely possible. However other services have a centralised triage service where applications are checked that they contain the right set of papers, and then sent elsewhere for decision making.

So underling no 1 checks that there is an avis d’impôts, salary slips/pension statement, bank statement, but overling number 2 decides whether this meets the required standard.

I am going backwards and forward with a dossier as underling no 1 keeps finding things to query. I have yet to get beyond that.

Something isn’t adding up here with the other poster saying his wife and son have employment problems due to not holding CDS.
Everyone’s situation is different but if you are living here as a legal resident and pay your taxes then it is my experience that working here without a CDS makes no difference. There may well be a difference between self employment and being employed? But certainly with the former I see no problem.
I ran my business here micro bic not micro entrepreneur and after 10 years retired and earned myself a French pension, not massive but it all helps. This was a result of being a british EU citizen without the need for a CDS.
As I said, something is not adding up with the various comments/statements made by the other poster.
Sorry I have not linked to the other poster as that bit of technology always beats me.

1 Like

So apologies if I did ask this before, but as ive been reading it most things can be fone online.
Do we still need to go backwards and forwards physically to the prefecture with initial attestations etc.?
I will declare official residency on the 20th July and try to get as much done as possible ¹that week including business code(siret?) Which i had intended doing in April…
My teaching contract officially ends 3rd July so i just need a couple weeks to sort out.
Already have Airbnb guests July 23rd to mid August and 1:1 clients for language tuition booked September so hopefully that will help me with working status… defo a job to go to.

Depends what you mean by declaring official residency. The prefecture will not be interested in you at all!

You can do quite a few things when you first arrive - make the declaration to the marie that you will be setting up rental rooms, sort out business registration etc but you can’t apply for a carte de séjour until the portal for applications opens in October.

You do know that your Siret registration will be for a specific activity and activities aren’t mixed? You will have to state the principal activity that you will be registered under - hébergement or enseignement I guess.

Thanks Jane. Yes. I will eventually apply for 3 codes.
1 keep it simple. Teaching from home. I will apply this July.
2 b and b.
3 bringing in groups to do activities with local guides whilst improving a language after setting up an association with a friend from northern France. Some work on house required this winter before planning for groups.
Lots of plans but want to keep it small and simple worh airbnb and teaching a little this year.

Yes im going to the mairie in a fortnight.
I suppose i want as much in place as possible before the portal opens.
2 years in planning seems to be dragging on but i couldn’t move sooner…

I suppose principal should be hebergement but might be easier worh ensignement first.

I’m not aiming to be negative, and you have probably thought all of this through. But saying “keep it small and simple” does set off a small alarm bell.

I’m sure you realise that to be allowed to live here now you will need to prove that you have sufficient resources, and that your business is serious and capable of generating proper money (it used to be that people could set up a small micro-enterprise that gave them access to health service without actually earning much money & needing to pay much cotisations - but no more).

And you will obviously have to do this in your first year of business… so I hope you have developed a solid business plan (or have other resources). :crossed_fingers:

I have income from rental properties in the UK.

1 Like

No vendetta against the French Government, just a wish that they will provide us with the documents we are entitled to have proving our rights to live and work in France.

You have it - a British passport :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Grahame, you are no longer an EU citizen so can not be issued with the EU Carte De Sejour.
If you haven’t realised, this is the transition period, you will have to wait till October like the rest of us to apply.
Till then, nothing more needs to be done. Plenty of us live and work in France.
No big deal, no conspiracy, get over it!

6 Likes

Hard to imagine that anyone sufficiently qualified to become a French civil servant would be unable to make sense of an English birth certificate.
A Welsh birth certificate might be a problem though.
My stepson passed his driving test in Wales and when he returned to France he kept his bilingual driving licence folded, so the Welsh language part was visible.
Gendarmes would examine it, nod sagely, hand back the document and quickly send him on his way!

2 Likes

Sounds as if he was being stopped more than once?

Depends where you live and how busy they are. At one time they were having a purge on drink driving and regularly doing routine breath tests. I have only been stopped twice in France. Once on the “Route de Champagne” for a breath test (not guilty) and once in Normandie for taking a wheel over a white line (guilty.) These days they seem to rely on speed cameras as a source of revenue (guilty twice.)