Carte de sejour interview

Yes indeed I do. Or you could phone, and get put through to the Capital Gains Tax expert who could quote you all the rules on what happens when you’ve bought and sold the same share several times and retained a partial stake…

Be careful with translation programs, sometimes they use the wrong words and meaning is different than wanted!

Hi could I ask how long your cards are valid for? Is it just 5 or 10 year cards being issued?

It depends how long you have been resident in France.
This and other topics covers your eligibility in detail.
It seems that those who have been here from as little as1 day up to 5years get a 5 year card and after 5 proven years of residency the card is for 10 years.

1 Like

Thanks, and have they started the card date from the date of application ?

Mine was from the day of my appointment, until 5 years minus 1 day. My appointment for fingerprints and photo was 22nd Feb, and my 5 year card says date of delivrance 22 02 2021 valid until 21 02 2026. I’m not sure if the 10 year ones are the same, or even whether other 5 year ones, but that’s what’s happened with mine!

10 year ones are the same, from appointment - not that it makes a lot of difference

1 Like

Do the cards also give the date of “arrival in France”? The old ones did I think…

1 Like

Nope. Which is one reason I’m hoping France being France they’ll have all the the evidence from the application dossier somewhere stored forever more, especially as they purposely ask for date of arrival in the application. This is the only issue for me with extending the deadline for applications, there may have finally been some thought (other than the vague ‘you’ll deal with the prefecture directly’) to some of the smaller issues such as process and procedure to exchange 5 year cards to 10, bringing family over under WA terms after July and a dozen other niche issues I haven’t even considered no doubt. Extending the deadline by 3 months just kicks the can further down the road, even if looking at the bigger picture it may be the best idea.

I attended my fingerprinting and photo appointment at the Prefecture yesterday (46).

The Prefecture had organised very well with a little office inside near the entrance with a British flag and the word ‘Brexit’ on its glass window. Kind young lady offered to speak in English. She was careful to explain things clearly.

She said I should expect to receive my CdS at home in 4-5 weeks. I don’t mind if it takes longer as I felt so welcomed by France and my Prefecture.

Thank you France.

10 Likes

Hello Karen, I had a similarly welcoming and positive experience 2 days ago here in Montpellier, I am officially renouncing my occasional French bashing of bureaucracy.

8 Likes

Until the next time perhaps?

1 Like

Thank you for this information.

Can anyone tell me if the info with the cards give any details of travel restrictions ie max length you can be out of the country without forfeiting it?

I am due a 5 year card but have no rendezvous date yet and I move house in September. If no date by then would I have to make a new application in the new department I will move to?

No, but that information is available elsewhere on SF

Yes, I believe so since this is handled per Department.
The sage on this is @toryroo who I am sure will answer you in more detail later.

Thanks.

And are you allowed to live in Overseas France such as Guadeloupe and Martinique?

AFAIK the same rules as apply in Metropolitan France will apply in the outre mer territories.

If you change departments, you need to ask the original department to transfer the dossier/papers… to the new department.
as per the official reply to a previous enquiry… see below:

"Bonjour,

En effet, c’est possible.

Vous devez demander à la préfecture de XXXXX de nous transférer vos dossiers papiers (AGDREF) ET vos dossiers électroniques (MAARCH). De plus si vous pouvez obtenir vos numéro GED ce serait un plus.

Dans l’attente de vos nouvelles.

Cordialement,"

1 Like

I can’t believe I cannot find anything official online telling anyone where in the French overseas territories a CDS equipped person can live, just ‘French or EU citizens’

why not ask at you local Mairie… if they don’t know the answer, I’m sure they can find out…

best of luck

@Stella already answered your question…

That would apply equally with outre mer territories which are just as much French as Metropolitan France is. They also are départements français.

2 Likes