Carte de sejour interview

Exactly…same rules apply.

2 Likes

I understand, but there is a technical difference in status between, for instance, the overseas departments and regions such as Martinique, and the collectivities such as French Polynesia. You would think the authorities would have it set out online somewhere

I did look into this myself, entirely out of interest, and like you I could find nothing concrete but piecing together everything I found came to the conclusion that you had to be a french citizen to just up sticks and move as if you were going from the Charente to Gers, a CDS didn’t give you the rights to move outside of Metropolitan France without having to go through extra steps. But as I say, that was just my conclusion from the various vague bits I found so may be entirely wrong.

DOM = Départements d’outre-mer - literally part of France, just not attached to l’Hexagone

French Guiana, Guadeloupe and Martinique, Mayotte and La Réunion

TOM = Territoire d’outre-mer - for this discussion probably not that relevant as now only the French Southern and Antarctic Lands which do not have a permanent population anyway.

PS: Yeah, I had to check :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not quite…( I have just had my french nationality interview so have been revising!)

There are the 5 overseas departments which are the same as france, and where a CdS should be accepted for residence.

But also the french collectivities that are “french” and have a vote at the National Assembly etc but are not Departments of France. French Polynesia, Wallis and Fortuna, St Martin, St Barthelemy, and st Pierre and Miquelon. New Caledonia is another oddity that is sort of French.

In these places probably need to check right of residence for non-europeans

2 Likes

As Stella has said you may be able to get your dossier transferred, however it depends on the departments involved and most just tell you to resubmit with your new department / address details. Shouldn’t be a problem as only takes 10 minutes and you probably have all your documents saved in an easy to find file. It is recommended to put a note in the comments section (in French) explaining you have resubmitted due to change of departement and quote your original application number.

A trick to see if that has happened is to reverse the transation back into Eng and see if it still says what you want it to say. Not foolproof but I have had some odd results from doing that and been able to correct them.

I’ve remembered two good examples in Spanish / English. The colloquial Sp for ‘electricity’ is ‘la luz’. Everybody uses that word instead of ‘electricidad’. Every time you type ‘light’ into G Translate it will translate that into ‘la luz’ - the literal meaning of the word ‘light’ [as in daylight, not the opp of heavy]. But a Spaniard, reading your text, will assume you are referring to electricity, not light!

The Amazon translations into Eng of Spanish user reviews of a gizmo consistantly translated ‘luz’ into ‘light’ although I could see from the context that they meant ‘electricity’.

More liable to cause confusion is the word ‘el piso’. This can mean a level/floor [of a buillding] or a flat [appartment]. There is a national chain of estate agents, Don Piso.

If you live in a flat, your address in Spanish is *calle ‘Name’ # X, Y, Z. Y is which floor, Z is your flat number. But if you write to tell a Spaniard that you live in flat 4, it translates as ‘Yo vivo en el piso 4’ and your visitor will take the lift to the 4th floor. You have to tell visitors "Vivo en piso 2, puerta 4, "

Hitting the reverse arrows in G translate does throw up these errors and they can be corrected before a delivery fails because the courier went to the wrong ‘piso’.

1 Like

Your trick has one problem, to reverse the translation with the same service will not bring any other results. The better solution is to use a few services parallel and then you might be on the safer side.
The best solution is to learn the language and not rely on translation services!

Re translations:

A trick (if it is such) is to use short sentences… and think about what you are saying.
So often folk go all flowery/waffly and the translation comes out as rubbish…

1 Like

This just isn’t the case. I’ve done this with google before and if you copy the translation, go to a new window and paste, just as @captainendeavour has said you can sometimes find it has changed from the meaning you intended to something slightly different. With google giving multiple options for words at times it allows you to then select a different word, do it again and see if you get a version nearer to your meaning.

1 Like

Apart from fingerprints and photos nothing else.

The three of us went for our apppointents today (originally 11:40, 14:10 & 15:10) got all three consolidate for 11:40.

Handed over passports, had our fingerprints taken and that was it.

We had only submitted basic information via the portal in June , passport, avis d’impots and attestations about how long we had lived in France. Has anybody been asked for more proof?

The person processing our photos and fingerprints today was the same person who processed our multi-page paper application in 2019, perhaps that is relevant?

so glad you’ve finally managed to get this done…

We, too, were only asked for basic stuff and found the staff very helpful.

I doubt there is any connection with your paper application in 2019 and this on-line Brexit one… the staff will simply be assigned according to workload/needs rather than to folk they might know (vaguely) from a previous application.

That’s the key, I agree @Stella . Keep it really concise.

And @kirsteastevenson points out, a reverse translation, even on the same ‘page’ does occasionally throw up changes/variations which may not be what one wants to say.

Goes without saying. Meanwhile, those of us who fall short of the required proficiency for the occasion must resort to whatever it takes to make ourselves understood.

After a somewhat hilarious use of the Google voice translator with a Spanish policewoman, when I’d signed my statement that she had written [all in Spanish] she said, “There! You’ve just signed your flat over to me!” :laughing:

1 Like

Ahhh, mais le mieux est l’ennemi du bien.

2 Likes

That is fine, but if you are like my husband he has no ‘ear’ for language.
For instance, if you put a pronoun with an apostrophe in front of a word, he will hear a different word entirely.
Our daughter is a linguist, but she understands his problem.

No Grahame, that is the whole point of the online portal, it as designed to be very easy for everyone, particularly those who have been here over 5 years. I’d been trying to explain that to you since last year :rofl:

Not sure why you needed to hand in your tax return, not a requirement for the 10 year card, uless you used that as proof of domicile.

Passport Yes
Proof of residing in France in 2020 Yes

|Proof of residing in France (> 5 years)|

No not relevant at all, the system is meant to be easy and pain free and the only thing they do at the appointment is fingerprints, photo and passports. There are the odd exceptions for some prefs and for people who have moved between application and appointment.

However you can’t assume that just because it goes through a English->French->English translation in Google and comes out unmangled that the French in the middle is correct.

Google and Deepl use AI based translators - these are trained on huge corpora of texts in English and French (or other pairs of languages) and if there is a systematic error cropping up that can easily wind up being incorporated into the models in both directions.

They’re pretty good though, I reckon, for sanity checking your own French.

@toryroo

We just provided a selection of documents as requested on the portal (three each).

I don’t have utilities, insurance or any of the other forms of proof of residence in my name and that is why I submitted my avis d’impots, the same is true for our son.

However, I know of others who have been required by the prefecture to supply supplementary documents, I take you weren’t.

I was more interested in replies from people who had been asked to provide dditional documents.

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

The people who are asked to provide additional documents are those that have perhaps weak documents, incorrect dates, UK addresses (yes honestly I’ve seen it!), incomplete information etc. For those that have a straight forward application they are not asked to provide anything else beyond what is asked for on the website.

1 Like

Ouch…