Carte de sejour Nigella's dad and I are applying!

The whole referendum issue was not about personal interests, but rather was asking about what people believed would be best for the UK as a whole in the longterm future. Therefore I feel that how any particular issue affects me personally (positively or negatively) is simply irrelevant.
However, as an aside to satisfy your interest, I would say that as someone who takes sugar in tea and coffee, and as a person who likes golden syrup on porridge, I don’t particularly find the knock on effects of the EU’s external Borders tariff on sugar ( €339 per ton on raw cane sugar for refining and €419 per ton on white sugar) to be very helpful to me as an individual.

Plus I may or may not be as smart and clever as you on certain aspects but at least I do not have to try to win debates and arguments by throwing petty childish insults at other members of this forum when all they asked for is facts not personal opinions.

My suggestion is not that the UK should breach WTO rules post Brexit, but rather that the UK should set it’s own tariffs (applicable to all countries) without being unduly influenced by what the EU wants.
Where the UK government needs to engage in some innovative thinking is on the subject of how those tariffs may be enforced in relation to the Irish border.
We are all familiar with the concept of honour bound declaration of imported goods (hence the green and red lanes at airport customs checks), so surely it is not beyond the realms of innovative thought to arrive at some sort of similar arrangement in respect of cross border traffic between Ulster and Eire.
Let’s face it ---- we live in a world of computerised number plate and facial recognition where we are all need to smile for the camera when we board a cross-channel ferry, so why not have a similar discreet and unimposing arrangement on the Irish border.

Thanks Robert - I rest my case.

Simon pointed out several posts ago that we should be able to have a ‘healthy debate’, unfortunately Brexit (IMO) is one of those topics that is so immotive that debate drifts towards mud-slinging and insults very easily. There is so little ‘fact’ about the effects of Brexit on the UK and to a lesser degree the EU as it is a great unknown so until the picture is clearer can we ban threads on the subject or have a separate section for it on the forum?

1 Like

Yes the effects are unknown and so why did so many people vote blindly and why should this be allowed to go through.
Since the concept of Brexit life and the threat of the unknown has been less agreeable and unstable.
You can debate as much as you like and yes please cut out personal differences.

The referendum was just a ‘bet’ as I’ve said before, in the same way as the Scots Indy Ref was (and will be again no doubt). You can’t have a referendum of this nature and not allow it not to go through just because one side doesn’t agree with the result. As for your last sentence, currently what’s left to debate?

hypothetical brexit thread where the truth is fiction, I like it

I voted blindly, I knew from the go I was voting remain.

Many people who voted on both sides voted blindly as the entire thing was a mess of lies.

So why defend lies?

I don’t know, and I don’t have time to read through it all now, I’ll look later unless @moderators can take a look sooner.

1 Like

unfortunately banning it would put too many peoples noses out of joint.

I just find the one line offensive essentially calling me thick

had i wrote that im pretty sure the gang would have jumped on the report function.

You’re too touchy Harry, I’d take ‘thick’ as a compliment.:wink:

I wish you the best of luck James ! IMO I haven’t seen any really flagrant name calling, just some personal comments (insults is too strong a word) between members when opinions clash. It’s become a bit like a school playground now !
I did post this remark …
“It seems also, to me, that some of the responses on here have become too personal. We are all entitled to our opinions, but please don’t ‘attack’ others if you don’t agree with what they say.
Facebook is also a social forum, it can be used intelligently, it can also be abused.
We are all adults, we have a choice of what we read, listen to and comment on. If we, on this forum, have so much trouble listening to, researching, and trying to understand others, what hope is there for the ‘wider world’ ?
Enough said …”

1 Like

I get lots of insults from you lot.
That is how you let of steam!

Do you really mean insults?

making fun of some one is insulting!

"As I said, you don’t understand the point of my original post. I could spell it out in words of one syllable but…"

this was all that was written are you telling me this is an acceptable way to debate something?

Now im happy to debate all day long on personal opinions being passed on as facts but I find these sort of one line responses offensive and seaming intelligent people resorting to insults to end arguments and debates. No im probably not as smart in some areas, same as in coding i could probably say the same to most folks here that you would not understand coding like i do and how the formula works. I do not do this. I am just fed up of seeing people use personal opinions and list them as factual information as they feel they have researched it enough especially when there isn’t any info actually released on said subject only speculation about a sealed document

the first comment hes already had to edit but this one remains and i honestly find this one more offensive than the first