Carte De Sejour, online, in october, from Gouv.fr by

Can you direct me to French Law that is giving you the problem - this is what l read

As an EU national (or a national of Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway), you automatically acquire the right of permanent residence in another EU country if you have lived there legally for a continuous period of 5 years . If you fulfil this requirement, you can apply for a permanent residence document , which confirms your right to live in the country where you now live permanently, without any conditions .

This is different from the registration certificate which is compulsory in many countries. The permanent residence document is not compulsory .

But it can be useful when dealing with the authorities or for administrative formalities. The authorities may no longer require you to prove that you have a job, sufficient resources, health insurance, and so on.

Your bizarre and somewhat unpleasant interpretation of what ‘Cheers me up’ is completely misplaced and continues to paint you as a victim. I am not attacking you Jeanette but trying to help you escape from this miasma that seems to have you in it’s grip.

1 Like

Without putting you to further trouble Dan, the loophole in your assessment of my circumstances is here, in this directive quote you have written…
…" you automatically acquire the right of permanent residence in another EU country if you have lived there legally for a continuous period of 5 years ."
This is the phrase which allows the autonomous decision making of the Prefet, to take charge.
In other words,
I am required, (as I am at present in France with the S1 uk agreement) , to meet certain requirements of income/evaluation of work/security/
With documents …not necessarily, but certainly, ideally, Impots evidence…
I can’t remember what else without checking but as a self employed person, I need to be, from the Prefet POV, securely occupied with some reliable income )…
Among Legal advice received, was, to write an account of my work and income, in case there was any questions raised about insufficient/unstable livelihood etc. as there is a growing number of …‘particularly, elderly’ even long term, residents, who are refused permission. And obliged to move on.

I’ve lived in France two and a half decades with fluctuating sales in Tokyo. Can I demonstrate any security/ongoing success, as a painter?
You tell me!!
An artists life has zero financial security. Its all down to “belief!”.
For me, I’m totally confident! Its been my life, I know no other.
Never asked for support, dont want any.
Without the UK s1 backup? Without NHS chip in?
There’s no health care, unless they agree that as an artist, I will survive.

For convincing Monsieur prefet?
Not a dogs chance!

Jeanette you seem to have got yourself into a right old pickle - As a German Citizen you DO NOT NEED a CdS They are NOT compulsory. Whoever advised you to apply for one has placed you in a dreadful position as you are now on the Radar of French bureaucracy.

I had a 10 year CdS which expired in 2011. When l tried to renew it I was told very firmly by the Prefecture in Bordeaux that I no longer needed one and had not needed one for some time. Still don’t have one and am waiting to see what l need to do after Brexit.

EU nationals : If you are an EU citizen , you have the right to reside in France without a visa, but must carry a valid passport or Identity Document (ID). … You may wish to apply for a residence permit (carte de séjour) but it is optional since an EU passport is sufficient to reside and work in France .

Since France is a European country, there is no legal requirement to apply for a residence permit ( carte de séjour ) but you can do so if you wish. It’s free of charge and valid for up to five years. You’ll need to show your passport or ID card and proof of employment or registered self- employment. Contact your préfecture or mairie for where to go to apply in your area.

Anyway, l think l have exhausted any help l can offer so signing off on this thread.

2 Likes

I “got myself”, into nothing. ‘C’est la vie’, Is all.
I don’t create laws for governments to enforce…
There is sure to be a way to go,

Jeanett does seem to have got herself in a tiz.

Jeanette - how long have you held a UK S1?

Jeanette has German Nationality, so has no need to fear the things that many of us fear - those of us with “only” British Nationality of course…

2 Likes

Exactly but if I understand correctly I think her worries are based on the possibility of not having met the general residence requirements for income and health insurance.

1 Like

Not sure I’m using the right label, with UK S1.
I think so.
I have a Carte Vitale and French top up insurance.
As UK never suggested any kind of split… I signed up with CPAM …maybe 23/4/? years ago.
It always worked pretty well.
I’m glad to be clear, at last, that BEING GERMAN…
does/ or possibly does not/ guarantee x y z…
So anyone who feels I’m still wrong, and beefing about zero…can talk to you, now?

Anyway. I’m sure one thing is true and agreed by all.
Enough is enough.
My life is in my own mucky hands and now I will deal with it.
:joy:

Worry/concern can be a personal matter.
I think Jeanette is preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.:thinking:

1 Like

Astute! I think my my inclination…(dating from circa 46) since my mother anticipated a scalping, tarring and feathering, for herself (maybe for me too) as collaborators…
is to KNOW… rather than just prepare for… the coming *worst scenario " …as inevitable! You’re an observant girl, I think!
Forgot the emoticon! :fearful: :grinning:

Her posts read more like she has convinced herself that the French are going to throw her out over Brexit, but it is quite hard to pin down exactly what her situation is - I’m not much the wiser in respect of her S1 and we know that she has been with CPAM for 2, 3 or 4 years which is pretty vague.

Elsewhere it was mentioned that she has lived in France for “two and a half decades” - I’m sure that Jeanette will have now gained residence rights simply through length of stay regardless of nationality.

1 Like

Sorry to be boring, Stella, but Paul and Dan have twigged my circumstances, and can tell all, for anyone who might like clarification.
It really isn’t JUST ABOUT ME.

Paul… I think you will find that the whole thing has been chomped on quite thoroughly by those who know more about it than I do…

I am sure Jeanette has nothing to fear. Especially since she has such influence that her Maire has exempted her from Refuse Collection Taxes… :wink:

You could look at it another way, Jeanette is using the valuable working time of a man/woman in the prefecture to get a CDS (something she doesn’t require being a German citizen) which instead could have been used to help a Brit with a genuine need.:grinning:

Hopefully this will also make her laugh.:wink:

3 Likes

I have read numerous posts by Jeanette and her ramblings about her need for CDS and it is now getting a little boring. Before Brexshit reared its ugly head we were in no need of CDS just like all the other 27 countries and that situation remains for the 27 countries that will still be european members if or when Brexit happens. Jeanette, you have confirmed many times that you have a German passport which is your confirmation that you will continue to be a European citizen after Brexshit.
I shall make whatever application is required if and when Brexshit happens and not before as life is too short to worry about such things. Personally I already have proven 10 year residency so from what I have read I will not face deportation nor do I feel that any other legal resident will but for those who someway or somehow have thought they were being smart by staying beneath the radar I think should have a suitcase ready.

4 Likes

…well no! It doesn’t make me laugh, because, as usual, your conclusion is only “incorrect”…It would take at least ‘bizarre’ or maybe ‘fanciful’, to raise a titter.
I dont mind that you are not interested.
Its quite ok, Tim, that you have given up.

Yes indeed, John, I have a German passport.
Its not a good idea to read any posts, that bore you, so I suggest you stop at once, reading this one, on my own topic!!!, where you are very ill advised to hang about, if you don’t like my thoughts! :blush:

In fact, I now understand the difficulty, which I imagine is one that is to be dealt with by many people in approximately the same circumstances as mine. I contacted the German embassy in London, who immediately sent my question,
“do I need a CDS.”. back to the same kindly fellow, in the German Embassy, in Paris., who has dealt with almost all of the last part of legalizing my German citizenship, etc.
No, he could not be sure, either, but in telling me all he does know, he fully clarified the situation for me.

.Yes indeed, so much time, so many people involved in attempting to unravel a mystery that probably affects …I don’t know…how many ageing EU citizens are there, currently hoping to remain in their own homes, in France?
Or perhaps, in any one of the other EU countries,
with “non country of residence” citizenship? Whichever citizenship they have, and in whichever country they have made their home?

You are fully excused, John, from reading another word …of any of my posts. :relaxed:

Given up what exactly?

1 Like

…brain fade, I will have a look…to remind me… :grin:

Sorry Jeanette, forgive me for intruding on “your” topic which you presume you have total ownership and control over and thus stepping in to correct those who do not agree with you.
I will return to the audience and read on in silence.

3 Likes