Carte de Sejour, UE permanent (10 years)

Hi everybody, wondered if anyone could help me with finding the application form one is supposed to fill in together with the letter template that we have to fill in to apply for the Carte de Sejour. I have looked all over the local prefecture site in Arras but to no avail. Anyone else had to fill in any forms before being granted a appointment to submit their files…

Many thanks in advance.

http://www.pas-de-calais.gouv.fr/Demarches-administratives/Accueil-des-etrangers
Have you tried clicking on Demandes de titres de séjour at the bottom of the page, is that not what you’re looking for?

1 Like

Surely the EU Permanent (10 year renewable) Titre de Séjour cards if issued now, will only actually be valid until Brexit for UK citizens? That is, they are issued based on your status as an EU citizen - so, if you’re not one…

1 Like

I actually thought you had to hold the temporary cds first before you could apply for the 10 year one, but I could well be wrong.
Does a carte de séjour UE mean, a carte that allows you (whatever nationality you might be) to séjour in the UE, or a carte for UEs to allow them to séjour? I’ve never been sure on that one either.
Either way, I still see no point in apply for anything until/unless we’re told we have to.

Agreed Anna!

The Titre de Séjour Permanente is issued by France on the basis that you are an EU citizen and therefore entitled to permanently reside in France if you meet the relevant residency criteria.

There is no requirement to have held a temporary card before being issued with a permanent one.

1 Like

Sorry to raise this again but the incompetence of HMG is starting to worry me now.
I have no intentions of returning to the UK to live (just occasional family visits) and am looking carefully at options including French citizenship (our preferred option). Given what Simon says about the 10 year card only being for EU citizens (which we fully expect not to be when the UK crashes out without rights to UK passport holders in Europe) Is there a different Carte which is not EU citizen dependant which can be applied for as a precursor to full French citizenship?
Having read that the EU is to pass new legislation shortly to restrict free movement as an anti terrorist measure which will require non carte and French passport holders to jump through new hoops at each border control - not unlike the ones in place in the USA for “aliens” but worse, requiring fingerprinting and photographing at borders which will increase delays at custom posts.
Does Mrs May and her awful team of incompetents know, or even care about the damage they are doing to people’s lives?

In a word No.

Nor does she care!
Money and power…and nothing much else.
This is her world…and most of the others.

Poor old May, taking all the flack for Cam’s cock up. Apparently the registration process has been agreed, its simply based on your tax declarations, five years permanent residence with no long periods out of the country. Looks like the only people who will have problems are people who have lived over here or in the UK under the radar. Sort of people who keep a car on UK plates and who always state they come and go here there and everywhere but don’t live anywhere.

2 Likes

This all seems to raise more questions than it answers. In brief, can I, as an EU citizen (Britsh), apply for any kind of Carte de Séjour which will continue to be valid after UK leaves the REU (if indeed it does)? I have lived here for 4 1/2 years. Where do _ apply, prefecture or Region?
_

In brief, no.

At the risk of hijacking this thread…

To be fair (to both of them) I think May is taking the flack for the total cock-up that has been the state of Brexit negotiations since we sent the Article 50 letter but to lay Cameron’s problems at her feet is probably a bit much.

Originally I thought Cameron had called the referendum purely to silence Tory party Euro sceptics but having read a few bits and pieces on the situation I’m not sure it is that straightforward. Nick Clegg’s book is worth a read (but not a fiver, borrow a copy if you can) .

The problem, really, was that the EU was/is committed to “ever closer union” but that the UK was almost certainly not going to be comfortable with that, nor with the inevitable membership of the Euro that following that path would entail. The other issue was that one of the pillars, free movement of people - which we can see the EU will defend to its last breath - is not necessarily an unambiguously positive thing. Large movement of population from economically depressed areas of the EU to more economically favourable ones stresses the infrastructure in the destination countries, engenders resentment in the extant populations of those countries and drains the source countries of expertise and manpower.

Cameron got some important concessions but was unable to make inroads with the fundamental problems that the EU faces in terms of movement of people.

I think that he, broadly speaking, had a point in that the GBP (Great British Public) should be consulted on our future relationship with the EU but naïve in believing that the GBP could really understand the issues involved. I think he called the referendum too early (that’s political short termism for you, of course) - we should have had the impact analyses first and analysis of what sort of relationship we might have had with the EU after leaving first and then consulted the GBP.

The result is varying degrees of chaos with ordinary people and businesses, who just want some degree of certainty with which to plan their lives, caught up against the fact that we have a sort of Brexit event horizon beyond which governments cannot see, cannot provide guarantees, and certainly won’t issue any permits, documents, visas or anything else.

It’s not that HMG is incompetent (well, not in this specific instance) it’s that really, no one knows what is going to happen post Brexit and nothing has been set up yet - you can’t apply for whatever card will entitle you to stay in France if no-one yet knows what that document will be.

As for whether we will be subject to fingerprinting and photos everytime we cross the border into the EU, well, that might just have to stem from our status as a “3rd nation”. We have to accept that if we are to leave the EU then we will be treated as citizens of other nation states who are not members - it does not follow that purely because we are British we deserve some special status (much though some would like to think that it does).

1 Like

French Citizenship seems to me the way to go as I have no intention of being subjected to Henry VIII rules of Parliamentary control.

Vive la République française. Vive la France!

May can sink in her own her own sh*t even if it wasn’t of her doing… Strong and stable? pah!

For some this will be the way to go - don’t forget though that once Britain leaves the EU you probably won’t be able to keep UK citizenship as well.

How so?

The UK supports dual citizenship and that is nothing to do with it’s membership of the EU…

What makes you suggest that people will be unable to have dual nationality after Brexit? Being EU members does not allow for that position, one of my close friends had to give up her Dutch citizenship when she took British nationality a few years ago. There was no magic EU rule that allowed dual status.
Personally I believe that becoming a French citizen is a huge step and should not be entered into to allow an individual extra security without diluting their old ties. Anyone really wanting to become a French citizen should be prepared and willing to give up being British. It’s a big step not just a paperwork solution to a problem.

1 Like

Yet many Brits have managed to gain French citizenship whilst the UK was still a member of the EU… :confused:

I can see how some member States may view an application for citizenship as unnecessary whilst the individual is a member of another State…

As an aside, what do you think the consequences of losing British Citizenship would be? Loss of pension rights for example?

Isn’t it something to do with the Nationality you already have ??.. eg USA does not allow its citizens to hold dual nationality… (??) so an American would need to give up US citizenship if wishing to gain French nationality…

You have missed the point. As Stella has pointed out some countries allow dual nationality others, including the USA and Holland, do not. As it has nothing to do with EU membership there is no reason to believe that anything will change after Brexit.
Surely pension rights are based on contributions not nationality.

Precisely David. I think there are some instances where increases to the UK State Pension are allowed and some countries where it is not. A right mucking fuddle if you ask me…

This link seems to explain it well.