Carte sejour During the transition period

Am I the only one that is screaming why?

1 Like

I’m not sure how this pans out… let’s wait and see… I had thought we would be getting the correct paperwork… not something to change again later on… :woozy_face:

I don’t see how that works either.
Surely they aren’t going to tell you you can’t vote in the municipales because you’re not an EU citizen - and then issue you with a cds saying that you are an EU citizen.

It works because that is the arrangement through the transition period.

The UE CdS Permanent and the right to vote in municipal elections are two different things.

Anyway that is what our prefecture has confirmed in writing will happen.

Grahame Pigney

P** Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P
**Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

Well yes they are different things, but surely they’re both dependent on being an EU citizen.
The transition arrangement is that although Brits are no longer EU citizens, in most but not all situations they will continue to be treated as though they were.
The transition arrangement makes no pretence that they ARE still EU citizens.
But fair enough if that’s what the Préfecture is going to do, though it seems singularly pointless.
The new Brit-special CdS is expected to become available from July 2020 (unless it’s delayed by lack of manpower etc, of course).

1 Like

Anna, the continuing use of the UE CdS Permanent of covered under the transitional arrangements.

We are no longer EU citizens and thus we couldn’t vote in the municipals. However, those of us who have been resident in France for over 5 years are entitled, as we have always been, to proof of our right to reside in France. The French government have decided to provide that proof by issuing UE CdS Permanent to people who are in that situation, had started the process before Brexit and request one.

Our prefecture has said that the post-Brexit CdS won’t be available until 2021 and when they are available existing holders of UE CdS will be able to exchange for the post-Brexit CdS. For some people the proof of our right to reside is important when seeking employment.

Grahame Pigney

P

There’s nothing about the Titre de Sejour that suggests it’s a European Union issue card. It’s issued by the French Republic and has a RF watermark and the word France in capital letters. The escutcheon bears an image of Marianne.

I think mine’s different from yours Peter :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Where does it say France?
On the front I can see a faint F in the top left corner, the RF thingy with a battleaxe to the right, and, for some reason, a rather cute bull underneath the F.
On the back I can see Marianne in gold, and I think it says RF behind the card number.
Nowhere can I see France.

https://images.app.goo.gl/A8ThWD2JWDZNBbUv5

On my card it is definitely there. FRANCE.

It’s very faint, in ‘hollow’ pale blue capital letters, almost totally obscured by the triple row of letters, digits and vectors <<<<, on the side your postal address (or at least, it is on mine).

On the ‘front’ the words République Française flow from left to right at the bottom of the card, gradually increasing in size, with the last E at the bottom right hand corner.

But both are very faint, but distinct when you spot them.

The bull with head lowered to charge, the F and the FR all appear on my card.

There’s also a globe surrounded by stars, but no mention of EU/UE as far as I can see.

All I can say is, you got better eyes than me! I can’t see all of that.

Maybe it’s me Ricard… :crazy_face:… But I can only see one bull with head lowered to charge, and two Mariannes, one on each side…

1 Like

It is quite possible that the cards do vary… much like banknotes etc… perhaps designs are changed over the years… :thinking:

Has nobody looked at my link to the EU citizens’ residence cards issued within the EU.
People have been continuing to receive these cards from prefectures that accepted online applications although no new applications will have been allowed for a very long time now. I know that La Vienne and La Charente are in this position. Has Graeme actually said where he lives?
Since the online portal for the new residency card was announced I’m surprised that any more of the old, out of date, cards will be issued.

1 Like

Peter,

That is as may be. I’m just reporting the written advice from our prefecture.

We can have an UE CdS Permanent now on demand and convert it to a post-transition (whenever that may be) CdS when those are made available.

Of course the prefecture may not be open because of the Covid-19 restrictions and that will raise another issue for those of us who need documentary evidence of the right to reside and work in France. In common with many working Brits resident in France the work opportunities have almost completely dried up over the past 12-18 months as business are reluctant to take on Brits whether salaried or on contracts without proof of right to work.

Grahame Pigney

P

I know you are desperate to hold a CdS UE but why can’t you accept the fact that you will not NEED any sort of residency card until July 2021? If you are British all you need before that date is your British passport. You are one of tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people in exactly the same position. When the time comes to apply online for the ‘new’ card the paperwork required will actually be more straightforward than that required for the CdS UE was before.
What sort of employment are you searching for?

1 Like

Brits automatically have the right to work in France during transition.
And if they have an employment contract at the end of transition they will (virtually) automatically have the right to remain.
Employers know that.
There may of course be other reasons why some employers aren’t overkeen to take on Brits, after all let’s face it, it was never very easy for a Brit to get a job in France even before Brexit came along. But some of them may see the work permit issue as a handy excuse.

Dan,

This is not desperation at all.

I have simply informed this blog of what our prefecture has said to us in writing.

I am not searching for employment (officially retired since beginning of January) but both my wife and son work as translators and sub-titlers as auto entrepreneurs.

Yes there are hundreds of thousands of us, I know that only too well with the work we have done as The People’s Challenge. But the depredations of the costs of fighting the legal challenges and campaigning for the past 6 years leaves us in a position that we need regular income apart from my pension.

Can’t afford to be lassez-faire or complacent about being denied the proof of our entitlement any more than the EU27 or the Windrush victims in the UK can.

Grahame Pigney

P

Dan,

As a P.S. we do NEED proof of the right to reside and work, as do many other working Brits in EU27 countries who have seen their work opportunities disappear in the absence of such proof.

Grahame Pigney

P

You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Your British passport proves that you have the right to work in France until the end of the transition period. That’s an EU law and it would take a few seconds to confirm it in the language of your choice.
Insisting that you NEED a CdS is not only wrong but it is likely to cause other people in your position undue stress.
There is enough going on for the French administration to deal with with Brexit and now Coronavirus so I really hope you aren’t adding to their workload for no good reason.