Carte sejour During the transition period

Timothy,

if you know more about the conversations and correspondance that we have had with the people at our prefecture I will gladly defer to your greater knowledge.

We have been told verbally and in writing that our dossier will be automatically processed into whatever system the French government devise.

Stella,

absolutely, we do have until mid 2021 to apply. BUT, the site is not yet available for people making new applications.

Our prefecture has told us verbally and in writing that we do not have to make new applications and our dossire will be automatically transferred to the new system.

Timothy,

as I have said before. If you have better knowledge of what we have been told by the people we have spoken and corresponded with at our prefecture I will happily defer to you greater knowledge of those exchanges.

Your prefecture might be handling the process in the manner to suggest but ours isnā€™t - Unless you know better than I do what we have been told by the people at our prefecture.

Grahamā€¦ Iā€™m not sure it is mid 2021 to applyā€¦ I actually saidā€¦

ā€œand we have until 30th June 2021 to actually hold the cds in our handā€¦ā€

hold in our hands is not quite the same as applyā€¦ :thinking:

Applications will take timeā€¦ can be done online from July 2020 and those already in the pipeline will be dealt withā€¦ I donā€™t think anyone should wait until mid 2021 to applyā€¦

1 Like

Keep taking the tablets Grahame. :smile:

Phew! :hugs: A wave of relief swept over me, Tim, seeing what you wrote to Grahame.

Iā€™ve been necking happy pills for twenty years and youā€™ve never referred to my mental state as pointedly. They must be doing me some good. :frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning::neutral_face:

Pete, Maybe you should share them out among a few memebers to boost their serotonin levels. :relaxed:

3 Likes

They wouldnā€™t thank me for the ā€œside effectsā€.

Djā€™nowaddermeen? :thinking::zipper_mouth_face::joy:

1 Like

Quite agree with you there, loss of coordoniation, brain zapps, loss of sense of humour, agressivity etc etc, back to slagging matchs Pls Peter, share your sweets out :cool: :sunglasses:

However it does indeed say on Page d'erreur 404 - brexit

ā€œLes ressortissants britanniques et les membres de leur famille prĆ©sents en France avant le 31 dĆ©cembre 2020 devront effectuer leur dĆ©marche en ligne avant le 1er juillet 2021.ā€

So I think Grahame is right.

Hi Stella according to the UK Government website we will have until at least 30june 2021 to apply not hold the CdS apparently

Very true.

However in practice It is so easy to get stuff wrong or go down a bind alley when trying to sort things out (hands up I have done this !) So to be on the safe side best start as soon as possible.

1 Like

Wellā€¦ there is a lot written and a lot discussed. whatever, I would trust French sites more than UK ones. Also, there are different aspects for folk in different situations.

Must confess , from various things I had read, I did not think that those who are already in France long enough to warrant CdS Permanent Residence should wait until July 2021 to applyā€¦ Certainly read somewhere that they should apply in orderly fashion when the new system opens in July 2020ā€¦ since they would not be required to hold it until July 2021 so would have plenty of time for it to be issued from July 2020.

I suspect we are niggling unnecessarilyā€¦ and would suggest that anyone who is eligible gets on and applies asapā€¦ once the thing is up and runningā€¦

"Ils disposeront toutefois dā€™une longue pĆ©riode pour prĆ©senter cette demande, puisquā€™ils nā€™auront lā€™obligation de dĆ©tenir un titre de sĆ©jour quā€™Ć  compter du 1er juillet 2021.

They will, however, have a long period to submit this request, since they will not be required to hold a residence permit until July 1, 2021."

(If Iā€™m required to hold a permit on July 1st 2021ā€¦ sounds like I should apply for one before that dateā€¦ mmmmm :thinking: )

This is a good document from BiE that sets things out clearly. And shows you just have to apply before July 2021 ā€œduring this period all the WA rights will apply even if you havenā€™t received your cardā€.

Actually Janeā€¦ I think it says a wee bit more than thatā€¦ France has chosen the 2nd Optionā€¦ hasnā€™t itā€¦ ah wellā€¦ itā€™s all a bit muddlyā€¦

1. A constitutive system - Article 18(1) of the WA - (which applies to France)

and the first paragraph under that heading talks about the ā€œsettled statusā€ā€¦
and needing a "successful application by the deadline 30 June 2021 to acquire Residence rights or Legal Status under the WA "

All in allā€¦ I guess folk just make an application sooner rather than laterā€¦ you canā€™t have a ā€œsuccessful applicationā€ until the application has been received, considered and judged to be okā€¦ and that will take more than 24 hours I would have thought. :thinking:

Angels and pins I feelā€¦

Never heard that expression before ! ?

I think attributed to Thomas Aquinas in 13thCā€¦but essentially an age-old theological question or arcane intellectual speculation. Appears in lots of other references, either how many angels can dance on the head or a pin or sometimes stand on them.

1 Like

Vicky1
I have read through another source that the Prefecture website link will be accessible in July 2020. Any links to the previous one may give you that info as the portal has now been closed.
Same goes for driving licence exchange. Mines not been returned, paperwork sent in over a year ago & husbands took 18mths.
I would imagine itā€™s still 90 days/3months before you can officially apply (timeline you were allowed to stay without impeding on uk resident status, couldā€™ve changed so Prefecture website maybe best place to affirm).
Ask to register at Maireā€™s office as new resident, also local GP - medicine traitant/maison du sante. To get you started with carte Vitale too.

Be prepared for a lot of photocopying in all that you apply for. Perhaps even obtain 1 extra true copy of birth (& if applies) marriage certificate; P60 ( guard originals; in our experience no-one took responsibility that they lost it & irreplaceable)
Car ins no claims verification
UK bank infos & shop around for french account, you pay for bank card etc
Thatā€™s enough of that dont want to overwhelm you :smiley:

Have appointments at our prefecture to finalise our applications for UE Carte de Sejour Permanent. After that we will receive our UE CdS Permanent documents

During 2021 we will be able to exchange our UE CdS Permanent for the post-Brexit documentation.