Carte sejour eu citizen

Hi all

Cant find a relative section and last discussion on this subject seems to have migrated to driving licences.

I am still 5 months later waiting fir my CDS. I did in the end email the prefecture who said referred to prefect.?

Anyway so today i emailed lady who has my file and took fingerprints nearly 9 weeks ago.

She was very nice apologised and said she has recommended approval and cant do anything as waiting for prefect.

My actual question and i only know both George and Geoffrey applied same CDS is did they receive 5 year card.

She says mine approved for 1 year . Tbh i wonder why and a bit fed up going to have to go through same thing next 4 years

it’s quite possible that you’ll not need to apply each year for 4 years… but, once you’ve got the first one safely in your hands… provided you don’t do anything awful :wink: :wink: surely the renewals will be a formality, easy peasy.

Why they are issuing just 1 year in the first place??? … it’s probably mentioned on the government website, somewhere,

Each person’s personalm situation can vary… so one’s experience won’t necessarily mirror another’s… :wink:

As I can’t remember your details, I can’t be more specific with ideas, I’m afraid.

Yes no idea why, tbf the website says can be issued up to 5 years.

Only thing i can think is when i was trying to push i politely :slight_smile: advised we were buying and i was nervous to buy in case refused. So perhaps its wanting to see our financials after we have purchased. ? Who knows lol

if you are an EU citizen surely your financial situation has no bearing since you have the automatic right to move to France under Freedom of Movement? I may be wrong but I think only criminal naughtiness would be grounds for refusal?

1 Like

@Tranmere
remind us… are you or are you not European…

Must confess I thought it was your husband who is the European… and you were applying as the non-european Spousem of a European…

(you know what I mean )

I am spouse of E U citizen but they go on his financials , although do accept mine as well.

Yes correct husband has EU passport but when submitting as Spouse of EU i have to provide his finances as it goes on him as supporting person. At the end you can add further info where i included my pensions and savings .

My interview was in November and I received my card in February. It was my wife who is the eu citizen and our application was based on our joint income. So I don’t think this helps much. When I applied for an interview on their website the 5 year option wasn’t there so I opted for the 10 yr option but that didn’t seem to make any difference at the interview

So did you receive a 5 year Geoffrey ?.

Yes. So next time I apply if I 'm still alive I assume it will be for 10yrs. It’s seems every prefecture is a little bit different

Lol i sincerely hope still going strong. Oh well lets hope once i get approved next one is at least for 2 years :slight_smile:

I received a five year card. This is fully in line with the EU regulations. Here is the relevant section in English and in French… They absolutely should be issuing you with a five year card, unless your EU citizen husband.is planning on spending less than 5 years in France (assumed to be unlikely!). I would definitely question them, politely of course, as to why they are not following the regulations. Feel free to show them the below.

Best of luck. Do tell us how you get on.

as you hinted that the stay in France might not actually take place (you might not buy) … if you didn’t gain the CdS… I’m wondering if they’ve erred on the side of caution… since your CdS would stop immediately if your EU spouse left France… or never actually decided to stay … :wink: :wink:

La carte de séjour a une durée de validité de 5 ans . Cependant, si la personne européenne que vous rejoignez envisage de séjournez moins de 5 ans, la durée de la carte correspond à celle de son séjour.

Hi George

Ok as when i looked on french Anef site it said card can be issued up to 5 years.

I dod ask her why 1 year ( not authorised yet) she just said new to residence in France and thats what they give ?

Tbh its been that much hassle and still with prefect waiting approval. I am not sure i want to annoy her even more.

Trouble is your kind link doesn’t show what website , she would probably say not applicable :frowning:

Hi Stella

I can see what you mean but i have never hinted to them would not be staying. Both retired etc so its not like working etc and might relocate.

I only mentioned i was hesitant to buy at this point as still waiting cds. Worried about buying a house and being unable to stay if cds refused.

It must be Limoges as spoke to another girl, same spouse of Eu irish passport holder.

She too has only been issued a CDS for one year .

1 Like

Hi George

Can you give me link as i cant copy it to send to lady at prefecture ( if i dare).
It just shows link survive france and as she wont be a member will not be able to access .

Tranmere, here is the actual document containing the regulation in French that you can send to the Prefecture. You should absolutely be entitled to a 5 year CdS as long as your husband intends to stay in France for that period. Please do not let them fob you off with less!

EU Directive 2004 38 FR.pdf (170.1 KB)

Morning George

I am happy to send the link. My only concern right now is no more delays. Its already been with supposed prefect for signing 9 weeks. ( Wondering if putting to back of paperwork as i chased so much)

I really do not understand why they would think not staying. The application states both retired, its not like as proof of income i stated oh has a contract for one year etc)

Anyway if she has to change recommendation,i am guessing the way they are it will definitely be a new submission for approval to prefecture.

So thinking i will hopefully have this card in a few weeks then query it? Mainly as i have already lost cost of one flight. I have another booked 18th April to see sister who is ill with COPD. I need to be able to leave France and return.

Which is another bone of contention. As i had to apply online via Anef. I am on a second Depot de prolongation that specifically says cant leave Schengen( flying alone) area. By rights as a UK passport holder i thought i could leave an re enter to join EU Spouse

Limoges again , read several posts about people being stopped Limoges from flying out or fined as over 90 days and no Recepisse.

I would have thought as now awaiting approval i could have a Recepisse . However as Anef issued Depot i suppose they will not issue a Recepisse until see valuation online approved.

French paperwork is imho 10 times worse than Spanish .

well that is comforting…

Lol yes though as George says i think should be 5 years